Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, my new 08D has a lot of hesitation, and I suspect partially because the previous owner rode it only 500 miles this year...

Anyways, I want to do Seafoam treatment on it. Now before I do anything stupid (like blowing up the engine), this are the steps I plan to do:
- 1/3 can goes to oil hole.
- 1/3 oz goes to gas tank
- 1/3 can goes to throttle body

for the last part, what I understand is i will have to turn on the engine, let it warm for 5 minute, pour seafoam on the throttle body, and then shut it down. does it mean i will turn it on with no air filter, and then pour seafoam equally (1/6 can ea) on both TB butterlfy, and then turn off the engine? do i need to rev it during pouring? what are the chance of hydrolocking?

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
not sure thats a good idea

i have always used GM top engine cleaner for the throttle bodies and as far as seafoam is concerned, i just pour 1/3 can into the gas tank and go.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
second on the GM top end cleaner.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GM top cleaner are liquid too? unless its the aerosol can, which is almost impossible to find.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd use the seafoam in the gas tank and get the aerosol version for your intake. I just help rehab a buddies 750 vulcan and it blew out all of the crap with two cans. I used the aerosol in the carbs via the drain plug and it worked great. Its one hell of a smoke show!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
i put the sea foam into a water spray bottle i had laying around - so I could control how fast I put it down the throttle bodies and not lock something up.

You will have to rev the engine as you put the seafoam in the combustion chamber - it will try to stall out. There will also be a white smoke POURING from the exhaust, no worries. Keep the engine reved and spray in sea foam, then let the sea foam kill the engine and let it sit for a period before firing it up and making the biggest smoke show you've ever seeen :thumb:

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i put the sea foam into a water spray bottle i had laying around - so I could control how fast I put it down the throttle bodies and not lock something up.

You will have to rev the engine as you put the seafoam in the combustion chamber - it will try to stall out. There will also be a white smoke POURING from the exhaust, no worries. Keep the engine reved and spray in sea foam, then let the sea foam kill the engine and let it sit for a period before firing it up and making the biggest smoke show you've ever seeen :thumb:
NOTED on the smoke. will make sure im in open area with no complaining neighbors!

OK so I will use spray bottle. while engine is warm and running, take out the air filter, rev it 2-3K and start spraying slow and equally on the TB. engine will eventually dies, wait for 10 min, start the engine again and run from the smoke. do i get it right this time?

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
andy, if you need a can, i can get it to you. My Chevy dealership has a dozen or so in parts.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
OK, you have an '08D that the previous owner only racked up 500 miles on this or last season. How many miles total? With so few miles in a season, I would lean more towards the hesitation being from old gasoline and less from deposits in your throttle body. Unless this bike has around 20k miles, I would skip the Seafoam treatment and do...
1) oil & filter change
2) run 2 tanks of good gas

and if the hesitation is still there, do the Seafoam dance but keep it out of the oil.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, you have an '08D that the previous owner only racked up 500 miles on this or last season. How many miles total? With so few miles in a season, I would lean more towards the hesitation being from old gasoline and less from deposits in your throttle body. Unless this bike has around 20k miles, I would skip the Seafoam treatment and do...
1) oil & filter change
2) run 2 tanks of good gas

and if the hesitation is still there, do the Seafoam dance but keep it out of the oil.
it has now 1900 miles on the clock. I too was thinking it was a bad gas, but I will ride it from Vegas to LA this weekend so need to make sure no "oh shit" situation OTW :D so you think i don't need it? 2 tank should be good for vegas -LA

Not true. I posted on here to anyone who wanted this I would get it for them if they sent the $$$ Offer still stands..... http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140452
good Lord I forgot about this thread! hey, ill be in Vegas this Saturday afternoon. so GM Henderson still has it? lets meet up when you have a chance!

andy, if you need a can, i can get it to you. My Chevy dealership has a dozen or so in parts.
thanks wiley! i will just pick it up in vegas but really appreciate your offer!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
with only 1900 miles on the clock there is NO need for a top engine clean.
I would do the oil & filter change before you leave out, maybe put some "dry gas" in the existing tank of gas, and just ride the damn thing. Hopefully someone local has a garage and a oil catch you can use so you don't have to pay HD to lie, I mean change your oil.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Sure thing Andycg. Shot you a pm.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
There is a small screw on each of the two intake runners below the throttle body. You could probably remove the screws and spray the cleaner through the holes (using a tube) while it is running without ever removing your airbox covers.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
There is no harm in running a can of seafoam through your system, worse case it doesn't help and your out $8.
with less than 2k miles on the odo, there is ZERO need to any fuel or crankcase additives. Hell, Lux has over 80k and has never used additives, shoedude is over 150k without additives, so why urge someone with less than 2k miles to waste their money?

·
Sparky
205 Posts
Miles on the ODO mean nothing. It's how long it sits w/o running. I bought a new ATV, put 100 miles on it and then had to put it in storage for 9 months. It didn't run when I pulled it out as the carb was all gummed up.

Todays gas is crap and doesn't last long if not treated. Gas doesn't care or know how many miles are on the ODO - all it knows is to go stale if not used.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
with less than 2k miles on the odo, there is ZERO need to any fuel or crankcase additives. Hell, Lux has over 80k and has never used additives, shoedude is over 150k without additives, so why urge someone with less than 2k miles to waste their money?
I'm with ya on this,but I would still like to know why this shit would be poured into the crankcase oil even with high mileage?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts