Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a weekend in San Diego including a trip to Sea World. Sea World advertises the availability of kennel space for your doggie. Has anyone here used these kennels? How many do they have and do they fill up? I would hate to get there and then not be able to get in simply because they had no space in the kennel for my Karly. Also, are they kept clean and cool? I know to bring her bed, food, water and some toys. I'll walk her on the leash a couple of times during the day. I almost hate to leave her like that (my fiancee calls her "my daughter") but it seems the only alternative if we want to visit Sea World.

·
Summer is here!
2,311 Posts
I have never seen it or know what the kennels are like, but it would make sense that you call ahead of time and book a space, not just show up and be disapointed.

·
Summer is here!
2,311 Posts
Oh well forget that plan: ( as you have probably already read) Does not seem to be a good way to run it.

Kennel Services

SeaWorld provides a pet facility for $10 per day. It operates on a first-come, first-serve basis. We do not take reservations for this facility. Kennels are approximately 4ft by 8ft and are outside under some coverage. SeaWorld is not responsible for your pet. You must bring your own bowls and food. You may use the water available onsite and visit your pet throughout the day.

·
Not 1 Serious Thread
12,942 Posts
I do not know those kennels but were I you I would look into San Diego Pet Day Care places and leave my dog there. I do that when traveling with my dog all the time and have left him at some fantastic places that he did not want to leave. (best one is in San Luis Obispo) I do not trust the types they have at amusement parks as far as him having fun and not being miserable. Karly will have a GREAT time in San Diego. It is one of the most dog friendly towns around. Go on a dog friendly website and you will find all sorts of restaurants and bars where she will be welcome. I bring my pup there sometimes and we all have so much fun. Best dog beach I've ever been to is on Coronado Island, maybe 20 minutes from downtown. GO THERE! Have fun.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not know those kennels but were I you I would look into San Diego Pet Day Care places and leave my dog there. I do that when traveling with my dog all the time and have left him at some fantastic places that he did not want to leave. (best one is in San Luis Obispo) I do not trust the types they have at amusement parks as far as him having fun and not being miserable. Karly will have a GREAT time in San Diego. It is one of the most dog friendly towns around. Go on a dog friendly website and you will find all sorts of restaurants and bars where she will be welcome. I bring my pup there sometimes and we all have so much fun. Best dog beach I've ever been to is on Coronado Island, maybe 20 minutes from downtown. GO THERE! Have fun.
Thanks Kelley, I knew you would have a great idea for me. Doggy day care. Of course! I knew about San Diego's Dog Beach from my Navy days. I lived close to The Black, heh, heh, heh. Didn't know about the one in Crown Town.

·
Not 1 Serious Thread
12,942 Posts
Thanks Kelley, I knew you would have a great idea for me. Doggy day care. Of course! I knew about San Diego's Dog Beach from my Navy days. I lived close to The Black, heh, heh, heh. Didn't know about the one in Crown Town.
No problem! Most of the day care places just need current rabies shots papers. Research them, I do not know a specific one in SD. I generally take my dog with me on trips and he hangs with me the whole time but on occasion, have to meet up with people at non dog friendly places and that is when I utilize those. Every town has them though. The internet is super helpful in finding the right one!

Oh! They will allow Karly in Old Town San Diego too. (maybe you know it? If not look it up) The kid my pup and I had a fantastic day there last trip down. Tasty cheap tacos there too!

Have a blast!

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
I would never leave my dogs at an amusement park. Pay a sitter, and leave her at home. Or, Kennel her at home, where you have interrogated the living shit out of the kennel owner, staff, and employees! My animals are precious, and whoa be the person who mistreats them. My kennel owner treats my dogs like her own babies, and would do anything for them. I call her while I travel, and she updates me. Worth every penny! JMHO, Joe

·
Not 1 Serious Thread
12,942 Posts
I wouldn't leave her at home. There are fantastic day cares everywhere, easy to check out. They are like playgrounds, all the dogs get to run around together. Much better than a cage or her being left behind and missing a fun family trip

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The idea of "my daughter" sitting there all alone in a strange kennel bothered me a lot. But on the other hand I know where she is, it's locked and I have the key. I can see her regularly while visiting Sea World.
If I leave her with doggy day care I don't know the people taking care of her, and huskeys are notorious escape artisits. I worry she could get away from them. Karly will gnaw right through a wooden fence and is a skilled tunnel digger. When I first brought her home she even moved concrete blocks away from the fence so she could try to chew her way out! The dog is strong.
I live too far away from Sea World to leave her at home, she has to come with us, and don't have anyone I trust to baby sit her at our home or at someone elses home. It's a conundrum, but so far doggy day care sounds like the best plan.
Everywhere else in San Diego Karly comes with us. If they won't have us then we go somewhere else. I'm not too worried about it, plenty of alfresco dining in San Diego where Karly can be leashed to the table and hang out with us.

·
Not 1 Serious Thread
12,942 Posts
My 80lbs of muscle pup is strong too! Last time I was in SD with him I put his leash around the leg of my very high bar stool level chair. A skate boarder cruised by and he bolted, throwing me in to this iron sort of fence they had surrounding the patio of where we were eating. I got a couple bruises but was ok. Just sayin' make sure whatever you leash her to in a restaurant is SECURE!!

BTW this is where I would take my pup if I needed to down there http://www.camprunamutt.com/index.htm It is similar to the SLO place he dog. I'm tellin' ya, she won't even be excited to see you when you return! (if it is like where I've taken my dog, that is...)

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 80lbs of muscle pup is strong too! Last time I was in SD with him I put his leash around the leg of my very high bar stool level chair. A skate boarder cruised by and he bolted, throwing me in to this iron sort of fence they had surrounding the patio of where we were eating. I got a couple bruises but was ok. Just sayin' make sure whatever you leash her to in a restaurant is SECURE!!

BTW this is where I would take my pup if I needed to down there http://www.camprunamutt.com/index.htm It is similar to the SLO place he dog. I'm tellin' ya, she won't even be excited to see you when you return! (if it is like where I've taken my dog, that is...)
I'm looking at their Muttcams. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts