Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Relitively new here, at least to V's. I purchased SE S2 cams, installed, and spent the last few months street tuning, and it is just about perfect, tuning wise, and that is not what this post is about. But if this is needed for some reason i use TTS mastertune.
Now, for the question......... People who know more than I give me crap for not going with Jones cams. At the time I wasnt aware there was another choice, but if there is a gain to be made, performance wise, Ill switch. My reasoning........ assuming the max lift and duration is equal, then that means there is only one ramp that will get the valve to that point within X amount of crank rotation. The base circle being smaller will stress the lifters (if thats what they are called on a V) more so than a larger base circle. So, going by my reasoning, the performance SHOULD BE equal.
Please, someone explain to me why, or where, the fault in my reasoning lies. Thanks for your time.
John

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Ok. Relitively new here, at least to V's. I purchased SE S2 cams, installed, and spent the last few months street tuning, and it is just about perfect, tuning wise, and that is not what this post is about. But if this is needed for some reason i use TTS mastertune.
Now, for the question......... People who know more than I give me crap for not going with Jones cams. At the time I wasnt aware there was another choice, but if there is a gain to be made, performance wise, Ill switch. My reasoning........ assuming the max lift and duration is equal, then that means there is only one ramp that will get the valve to that point within X amount of crank rotation. The base circle being smaller will stress the lifters (if thats what they are called on a V) more so than a larger base circle. So, going by my reasoning, the performance SHOULD BE equal.
Please, someone explain to me why, or where, the fault in my reasoning lies. Thanks for your time.
John
We never discussed this but here's my take. Likely stage 2 Jones would be the ticket. SE cams are stock cams reground so the base is smaller. This translates into special shims needed to bring clearances in to check usually. The worst part with the smaller base of SE the opening and closing is more a more abrupt shock and harder on the valve components in general. This bash and crash also increases pulse intensity on the throttle , making them more prone to fracture at the screw holes. We all know HD are cheap bastards so the regrind was the most economical way to do it but I'm sure the results can be matched with a more refined base circle method and numbers of Jones. Don't go too far in selection is stage unless the heads and tbs can support it. Likely won't gain but rather go the other way, especially torque. I think for stock heads Stage 2 would be the cap but others who have done it might know better. I've heard rumors of SC the engine? This will change selection also. I believe CamKing on this forum will have all important info needed for best results. I've eyed the suckers too. To me, the SE2 is a no go option but that's just me.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Ron's got that right in regards to smaller base circle, also the way the ramp opening is timed on the Jones allows for more power lower down in the midrange on his Stage 2's, giving more usable power and tq under the curve in the more used street range Rpm plus almost the same up top, quieter and less stress on the valvetrain. Stage 3 & 4 N/A are really true race cams for big bores and lack low end street power and need clearance machining of the valve covers so the bigger base circle and higher lobes don't hit. That's my understanding - but if I were you and already have the S/E's in and tuned I don't think it's worth it to undo all that and start over with the Jones, so maybe order a set at the next group buy and install in the future with some ported heads or at your next engine build but yea, S/E's they do tend to break the throttle plate screws so keep an eye on that - buy HolyMoto shafts or send to Fitzgerald to prevent failure and possible engine damage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.