Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I’m having a hell of a time getting the stage 2 from HD 30076-09 it’s on back order and keeps getting pushed. Found one on EBay our of Italy but the seller won’t respond so I can have them ship it ad only says pick up.

Anyone have a line on the kit?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hey guys,

I’m having a hell of a time getting the stage 2 from HD 30076-09 it’s on back order and keeps getting pushed. Found one on EBay our of Italy but the seller won’t respond so I can have them ship it ad only says pick up.

Anyone have a line on the kit?
Skip it, they are junk cams (read the many threads on this forum about them).

Wait for (or find) the next Jones cams order if you really want cams (they are mostly for top end any way you slice it).

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Skip it, they are junk cams (read the many threads on this forum about them).

Wait for (or find) the next Jones cams order if you really want cams (they are mostly for top end any way you slice it).
I wouldn't say junk but there are better ways to accomplish the same goal, as in not regrinding a stock version to get there. Agree on the Jones for that purpose.
Ron

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm gonna hafta chime in......
Yall I'm certain are gonna disagree, and that's ok. Last spring I got the SES2 cams for my '15 muscle. Went in well. VERY long story on tuning, but suffice it to say it is NOT an easy chore.
I have been told by many ppl, and a close friend who I respect on V's, that Jones "are better". Well, they do cost more. And yes, they have a larger base circle, but that comes at the cost of total lift. The SE's lift more. Period. They argue that it's hard on the valvetrain. And that MAY be the case. However I disagree. If the Jones, with the larger base circle lifted the same, then you need to clearance the valve covers, so they went as far as possible, and still be a drop in.
I LOVE my cams. And, with the 240 rear tire, I think they really wake that bad boy up.
Ok, now I have heard that the SES2's are also hard on throttle shafts. And that too is true. HOWEVER, they are a piss-poor design in the 1st place, and MANY bone stock bikes break them. So, either I'll suck a screw or butterfly in, or I'll get the TB upgraded by the guy in Ohio. Or, I may just buy the shafts from HM and do it myself. Most of us ENJOY working on our bikes. And I like to see just where the line is.............
John

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I'm gonna hafta chime in......
Yall I'm certain are gonna disagree, and that's ok. Last spring I got the SES2 cams for my '15 muscle. Went in well. VERY long story on tuning, but suffice it to say it is NOT an easy chore.
I have been told by many ppl, and a close friend who I respect on V's, that Jones "are better". Well, they do cost more. And yes, they have a larger base circle, but that comes at the cost of total lift. The SE's lift more. Period. They argue that it's hard on the valvetrain. And that MAY be the case. However I disagree. If the Jones, with the larger base circle lifted the same, then you need to clearance the valve covers, so they went as far as possible, and still be a drop in.
I LOVE my cams. And, with the 240 rear tire, I think they really wake that bad boy up.
Ok, now I have heard that the SES2's are also hard on throttle shafts. And that too is true. HOWEVER, they are a piss-poor design in the 1st place, and MANY bone stock bikes break them. So, either I'll suck a screw or butterfly in, or I'll get the TB upgraded by the guy in Ohio. Or, I may just buy the shafts from HM and do it myself. Most of us ENJOY working on our bikes. And I like to see just where the line is.............
John
I have a set of HM shafts and they are nice. Not sure what the Ohio guy uses but anything can be an improvement over the stock shafts. Yes even a stock bike can crack them. Bud in Dallas was tuning a brand new bike. TPS jumping all over the place. Yup broken shaft and warranty work before he could finish the tune. As for the cams, well we need to disagree on at least one thing , right?
Ron

·
Registered
11 Posts
SE Cams on my 2013 Muscle and have been no problem and like. Won't say there's a huge difference, but question the quality of my dyno (Thanks Doc Harley. Not!). Thinking of getting it done elsewhere. Tried the Jones Cams route and waited and waited.
Like to think HD put some thought and design in their SE Cams, even if the bike is a V Rod, and it's fair to put trust into that thought and design.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
SE Cams on my 2013 Muscle and have been no problem and like. Won't say there's a huge difference, but question the quality of my dyno (Thanks Doc Harley. Not!). Thinking of getting it done elsewhere. Tried the Jones Cams route and waited and waited.
Like to think HD put some thought and design in their SE Cams, even if the bike is a V Rod, and it's fair to put trust into that thought and design.
Is this Mr. TTS Doc?
Ron

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just a update on the SE Stage 2 cams. I order a set to be installed a few months back, and found out they were back order and going to be discontinued. But I got a call today from the dealership, I ordered them from, and they were delivered yesterday.

·
Registered
152 Posts
An entrepreneur may buy 3 or 4 sets. They will be discontinued sooner rather than later. Just a thought.........

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Hey Garyfack I've got a brand new set in the original H-D box, 4 cams, cutout template for lower airbox, instructions etc. kept in A/C since purchase $ 550 shipped.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Gary honestly if you plan to go Turbo that's a whole 'nother setup - You need Turbo cams to optimize that configuration - other than stock cams, which will work. For normally aspirated it's another path so you have to know what your destination is before you begin the journey - or you will double, triple the cost of your travel to power, after all the mistakes. Research your path, be realistic with your goals and the cost of it, then decide, adjust, and find what's the best, least expensive, most reliable path for you. I've been looking at it for a few years, and finally getting all the parts together for it. Best of Luck !

·
Registered
152 Posts
The S2 cams will physically work, as ANY cam will. Not sure your exact question.
What others have said about picking a path, researching, and then executing, will be the path of least resistance and less cost.
Now, if this is your first performance engine, weather it be bike, car, lawnmower, golf cart, or helicopter, the faster, more horsepower you want adds up QUICKLY. As for changing ones mind, you may as well have thrown the previous money down the shitter and start over.
IF by chance you find cheap performance parts, go ahead. Buy 'em.
That will happen once.
Please restate your question.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
It's pretty simple and yea, johnr204 you can use any cams with a Turbo but certain profiles, lift and duration will Optimize evacuation of the added air volume and mass the Turbo squeezes in the cylinder, providing better cylinder volumetric efficiency and rwhp. Supercharger is similar, but still a bit different for it's optimization. The list of available cams from Jones is a pretty good guide - he's got a few in each category for N/A, Turbo and S/C so he's done the homework all we have to do is install & possibly time them. The S/E cams are pretty much drop in and run 'em for N/A since they are stock cam blanks reground. I for one would not run a N/A S/E cam in a Turbo engine because there are better cams for that purpose. Just like I wouldn't put a Turbo or S/C camset in a N/A engine expecting the best performance results in a N/A engine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts