Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is everyone getting there SE (K&N) air filter? Seems I can only find it at HD dealers ($65). Are there other options available or is the K&N the only hi-flow filter that fits? Also, is the K&N filter really better (less restrictive) than the stock unit or are you paying for the advantage of never having to replace it again?

I installed my V-Mods and loaded the 020 map into my PC3r. I'm planning to ordered the SE filter from Chicago Harley but that will take a while to get here. I'm just wondering if the SE air filter will lean the bike back out or even make a real difference.. Does anyone know if there are other (better or cheaper) options???
Thx,
Greg

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
That is the only place to get one, HD has got it lock down. The SE filter flows better so will lean it out, it works good I have the same set up.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Currently no other manufacturer makes a high-flow filter for the V-Rod. Also, K&N is not selling it directly and can only be obtained thru HD OEM distributors (mostly dealers).

The filter is manufactured differently in that it is a cotton / wire mesh rather than a paper element. There is a significant difference in air flow thru the K&N, and does reduce the restriction to the engine.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Looks like the same thing as K&N,but blue oil.

Try v-mod.com for the filter if you don't like this blue one.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm still a bit skeptical about the screaming eagle filter and real world gains. I'll get one but what can i really expect for gain? Minimal? I'll get it when I get my v-mods, then load the proper map.

·
Banned
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm with you... I ordered one from chicago harley (2 weeks ago and still waiting) but don't expect much change in the way the bike runs. I put the V-MODs on along with a power commander 3 and the 020 map. the biggest change I've noticed besides the V-MODs sound is the bike smells very rich and the milage took a slight hit. It maybe has just a tad better performance but it's hard to tell. I'm hoping with the screaming eagle air filter it will lean the bike back out to the point where I don't smell the richness of it while idling. Has anyone else notice this rich smell prior to the SC air filter? Does the filter really make a difference?

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
The -20 map with the stock filter will run rich, when you install the SE this should fix the rich smell and pick up performace!

·
Banned
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've only driven the bike about 30 miles with this rich configuration. I felt it better to be to rich than to be to lean... I hope to get the SC air filter Friday.

I plan to put some miles on the bike over the Easter weekend. You think it would help leaning it out even more going topless?
Greg

·
Banned
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I got the SE filter today. I am amazed what a difference an air filter can make. Bike runs great now, seems to have more pulling power, not so rich smells at red lights or in the driveway while warming up anymore. I'm simply amazed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts