Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

My local dealer wants to rip a new one on me with the prices they want for the SE Slip ons, filter and program.

I know installing the mufflers and the filter is easy. What about the program? ANy words of wisdom out there.

I guess they'll probably want to void my warranty unless I pay them a bundle to have them do it...

Juan

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
ErVikingo your only options on the program are to let the dealer do the program with his scanalyzer or to buy the race tuner and do it yourself but the rt is not cheap. You should be able to install all the parts yourself and then get them to load the program for a fee.

Max

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Juan,
The slip-ons take about 20 minutes MAX to install. The stage 1 flash is $150.00 (retail) and they will probably charge you .5 hrs labor to do the job. So that would be $190.00 here. (my dealer is at $80.00 per flat-rate hour). That's just for the flash. Consider a race tuner or a PCIIIr and do this VERY simple job yourself.

John

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My concern is the darn warranty... I don't mind loosing it for the everything else but the powertrain.

I want to get the parts at a 20% off and then just let them do the software part when I bring the bike in for its 1000 service.

Thanks much Max and John for the feedback.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Check out another Dealership!There has to be more than one in your area!:cool:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just went through this last week. Pipes and filter are very easy and with a little pressure the service dept reprogramed the ecm at no charge. If you have done a reasonable amount of business with the dealer, I think they should do the flash at no additional cost. BTW, I love the upgrades!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
ErVikingo only if you have a race tuner otherwise it is a dealer only flash. Another option is the power commander.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Get the Race Tuner!
I do not think of the V-Rod as an overpriced motorcycle; I do of most other HD's. It possibly just did not sell as well as HD thought but at 16-20k it is not cheap either. Unless you are in the market for a custom (Bourget or Titan etc etc etc). I was until the V-Rod came along , I could have two V-Rods for what I was willing to spend. Anyway it is great bussiness for the stealer.
The RT is $450 and you buy it for yourself. They SHOULD reprogram your ECM for free (or much, but very much cheaper) if you keep buying stuff from them, it is not hardware and there is not much work involved. Instead they are smart enough to think people will keep coming in every time a change is done and charge $150-200 for a reflash, and they do. Do the math.
ErVikingo, seems like you are somebody who has appreciation for the finer things in life. If HD does not reciprocate, I'd tell them to :1268: and :19:'em.
Those slip ons are THEIRS, and still to reflash it will add 30-50% to the cost? What if you decide on somethng else latter on? How about after that? Ahhh:mad:! I have the RT uninstalled because of the darn recall. Never had an HD before because of that same HD attitude. Sorry! Just venting out some steam.
If it wasn't because I thought the RT is fun (and playing with the software, comparing maps and stuff has made me a believer) I would have gotten the PCIIIr, all in all I'd say get the RT and hopefuly save some money.
AND, just an opinion, get a non HD exhaust.
It is true, they are dealing (with few exceptions, but very few) with the perceived stupidty of us.
Juan, the dealer in Guaynabo, "MotorSport" did try to screw me by reflashing without asking (Ahora puedo hacer rimas en ingles! Bien encojonaito, pero bien encojonaito con esa gente!) and then charging $180 while the RT was on order. Not a :2cents. When they gave it back with the same problem I nearly had a stroke. Incompetent, stupid, not to mention irresponsible greasy ball of bastards.:yak:
We can say ass, Right?
If I do not get my bike back this week and if I do not get a 1-2 month extension on my waranty they can take the SE Deuce or the SE FatBoy we are negotiating and stick it up their ass. I'll get me another R1 from another dealer (it's more fun anyway), already have the PCIII for it. Maybe a Duc.
I swear it on my V-Rod! I am pieced off. Freakin guy telling the other I'm a doctor and have a Porsche outside. I'm just starting to hate those guys. I am not a millionaire, but even if I was (I made myself, and was born poor, no luck here), who cares, those comments are out of order.

P.S. I still love my V-Rod and think of the RT as a bargain well worth it's price. Even if my bike is at the stealer for nearly two months and the RT on a box in front of me.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Hey Dr. just tell'm"the Dealer" he better not get Sick and have to come to the Hospital!:diablo: Throw some weight around,and tell him you and all you Dr.friends are very Close!Never Bite the Hand that Fixes you!:sinister:

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eduard,

I know the feeling (and regretfully share it). When I went to pick up my BMW from Caribe BMW (at least that was their name bak then) they wouldn't let me try it if I did not put a deposit for the full value of the bike..... I said, F-them and I bought it in Daytona and shipped it to PR. It was easier to deal with Hacienda than to deal with Caribe.

Then the fun started, "you did not buy this bike from us, we cannot honor the wanrranty....". A quick letter from my lawyer set them straight. Thank god it only required 1 warranty fix.

I like to do things myself and hate paying for things I could do and would actually enjoy doing at home. Heck, i probably have more tools than them (and know how to use them). I have heard of the dealer using pliers to loosen chromed allen bolts (yikes!).

Anyhow, my plan is to get the RT and do it at home unless one of you guys really tells me otherwise. If they like to screw around with my warranty then, I'll have to weigh my options.

I'm not buying the parts from them as they would not even try to match the deal I can get from Surdyke, Chacago or Hales. I asked them again and will post if they change their position.

As to the attitude, they must only recognize that you paid more for that bike than what the mechanic paid for his souped up car, who cares what you do or whatever. Its you money and you are just looking for them to make good on the promise of HD.

Hey its a luxury so, they live from your good taste, then they should work for and nourish it. This attitude sometimes makes me understand why at some points in time I bought foreign products.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
ErVikingo
I hope I don't come out sounding like a jerk. I'm really not. Just really pieced off. Porsche was a "loaner" (they want to sell it to me) while my Toyota gets fixed. Those are two brand names you can trust, regardless of the obvious differences. Streets here will make any car rattle or break and it hurts more if it is a Porsche. I'm 35 and maybe should get me one of those but really love the SUV. If I tell you what Ford did to me (esos si que son unos cabrones). Since then it has been Honda, Mitsubishi, and Toyota. All survived PR's torture test, the street, reliably. Don't get me wrong, the Toyota is made in US by Americans like us.

Kaz
You are right. I know. But they are the only dealer in the island. I'm just fed up because they tell me "the guys" (mechanics) were out riding this weekend and that he doesn't know if they will be able fix it today. You see, these are the same people that received the parts on thursday but could not get to fix my V-Rod because on friday they were getting their rides and some other friends rides ready for some BS event I don't even care about over the weekend, and this is their boss telling me this. They tried to fix it first by doing the SE download weeks ago, I did not pay for the SE download by throwing some weight around and now I'm screwed. They may get to hate me after today. I'd rather be done with this quietly as possible and THEN have a talk with the owner since tomorrow may be the day. If they hate me for it I sure do hope they tell it to my face. I already DID them. I'm pieced man, what can I say?

P.S. My Dr friends are not motorcycle oriented. More like car people. There's your basic tricked out M3's, there's like 3 of them, AMG's like 4 or 5, BMW's are a dime a dozen (all sorts), Jags, a Viper GTR, several Porsche etc etc. When in the parking lot they ALL come and look at the V-Rod and make peer pressure so I will get a car. In the end only the 360 Modena raced me AND WON. Got him back with a XX Blackbird. The Porsche would be faster I think. Turbo of course.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
You let a Weak ASS Modena beat you!:spank2: Come on inless you were Racing to 160 there No Way that should have Won!cool:

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
That is what I thought also. I was so sure. The car is modified, it is very fast. I knew of this, he's always throwing the challenge. Aprox 400hp stock with a 1/4 mile of 12.8 stock. I should have been able to win.
We were rolling, I guess starts at 40, 50, 60 mph, several times. I thought I was going to blow him away. Coukd never pull away from him. I did get to pull while in the meat of the motor. The car, believe it or not, was always there and even very very slowly pulled away at times.
Viper GTR would not race him and it is the faster car when stock. He told me he knew he would have lost.
Maybe I am not a very good racer anymore. Maybe it was because I already had that hesitation 3-4000rpm and was loosing power throughout. It really felt good after 4000rpm. I just won't make any excuses. I did not win that day. But he'll race me again anytime and I him. Which could be as soon as tomorrow. Hopefuly!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts