Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Steve
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my bike off at the dealer to have them install a set of used SE 16ga pipes on my '07 VRSCAW and to have them do the ECM download for the SE pipes with a K&N filter. The tech just called and said that there are no downloads available for the 2007 AW model. He is basically telling me that their computer won't let him download the 2002-2006 version of the software into an '07 ECM. Does this sound right? I know that several people have put the SE 16ga pipes on their '07 AW, but have any of you attempted to go with the HD download?

I really didn't want to have to buy an RT or RF (or similar) for something that Harley already has a good map developed. Any thoughts?

Steve

·
Gone
2,012 Posts
My suggestion is to get the Race Tuner. It is a lot of cash upfront but it allows you to continue changing components on your bike. I have the ECM flash and works but there are still flat spots. I personally don't feel that one flash fits all bikes. Now that I have the SERT and I am much happier since I have had it dyno tuned.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
if you dont want to spend a ton of money doing a pcIII would get you by for a while... the racetuner does do a ton more though. I will be selling my pcIII in the next few months and upgrading to the racetuner

·
Gone
2,012 Posts
What kills me is that I bought the PCIII for full price and only got $185 for it. Now with my discount I can have the RT for the same price I paid for the PCIII.:banghead:

·
Steve
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VenomousSVT said:
if you dont want to spend a ton of money doing a pcIII would get you by for a while... the racetuner does do a ton more though. I will be selling my pcIII in the next few months and upgrading to the racetuner
I looked at my options a few months ago and decided that for my application the factory flash was the best value. I have an RT that I bought last year, but planned on using it on my '06 VRSCD (I just ordered the D&D 2-1). I've got a ride planned for Saturday, so it looks like I'll be using my existing RT and buying another one for the D. I wish that I had read all the posts in this thread more carefully. :banghead:

I can hear the conversation in my head... "Honey, Harley didn't update their Digital Tech database to cover the '07 models, so I'm going to have to spend another $350+ on another Race Tuner to get the job done instead..."

Sigh...

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
I would be willing to bet that the V&H fuelpak for their double barrel Q series would work since it is the same as the old SE 16 ga exhaust. But it costs about $200.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Just checked the Vance & Hines website, and they give settings for a stock '07 AW to tune the SE 16 Ga (FP-0632), the SE Performance slip fit (FP-0633). So yes you can use the Fuelpak on the '07 AW to tune your bike. It may not make peak HP numbers for your bike but it would be close, and there is still a degree of tuning available.

·
Steve
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sammy said:
Just checked the Vance & Hines website, and they give settings for a stock '07 AW to tune the SE 16 Ga (FP-0632), the SE Performance slip fit (FP-0633). So yes you can use the Fuelpak on the '07 AW to tune your bike. It may not make peak HP numbers for your bike but it would be close, and there is still a degree of tuning available.
Sammy,

Thanks for checking with V&H. The Fuelpak was one of the options that I looked into this Spring... Zanotti's has it for $231.48 +s/h, versus $357 for the RT. It looks like I can save $125, but will have do without the AW until the part arrives. I'm leaning towards using the RT that I had earmarked for the D, though I'm slightly worried that the older software I got with it (purchased in May '06) won't work with my '07 AW. I've been putting off reading the RT Manual, but I guess it's time to hit the books (or the PDF).

Steve

EDIT-

Note to '07 owners: If you plan on using the Race Tuner on your '07 bike, make sure that you get the latest version of the Race Tuner software. The new version of software appears to save the file in a format that is unreadable by the older versions of software, besides the old versions do not contain map files for the '07. The 2007 bikes have a new ECM p/n (mine is a 32852-07); the map file that you wish to download must be compatible with your ECM (it will be listed in the ECM PN: block of the file information shown once you enter the ECM Programming Control mode).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts