Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cranky Frank
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know of a place to get better screws for the sissy bar than the junk that comes with it (of course)

I messed the socket up on them. I tried metric and standard allen wrenches too. I also really stripped the head on one of them.

I want to take this sissy bar and big seat off when the wife isn't riding. I hate the looks of it but it's worth it to take her with me.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I assume you have the HD base plate; pot metal, then chromed. You need to run a tap of appropriate size to clear the chrome, then install the screws........hopefully stainless steel.......I get mine from the local farm supply dealer.....I live in a rural area.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Glad I saw this post. I just purchased a sissy bar and luggage rack (used) but got them without mounting hardware. I expect the dealership to be REALLY helpful as usual. I want to get stainless or gloss black hardware, but don't want to have to wait a month.

·
Cranky Frank
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the screws are #6 metric. I think they are about 1" long too. I got stainless ones at Ace Hardware for $.85 each. they also had chrome ones which were $2.99 EACH! :mad:

·
Cranky Frank
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad I saw this post. I just purchased a sissy bar and luggage rack (used) but got them without mounting hardware. I expect the dealership to be REALLY helpful as usual. I want to get stainless or gloss black hardware, but don't want to have to wait a month.
See my post and also make sure you get the right threads. The luggage rack also has some spacers that go with it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Can't wait to get home and ride. It'll be three months before I get a chance to put some miles down again.

The spacers, could anyone describe them? I'm sure I can find a suitable replacement at a hardware store, etc... Are they basically like rubber or plastic washers? How thick? Placement?

Thanks!

·
Cranky Frank
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips. Can't wait to get home and ride. It'll be three months before I get a chance to put some miles down again.

The spacers, could anyone describe them? I'm sure I can find a suitable replacement at a hardware store, etc... Are they basically like rubber or plastic washers? How thick? Placement?

Thanks!
I'll take some pics of them tomorrow and post them for you. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you are interested in chrome screws, I got some from "www.boltdepot.com". They were at a good price, however, shipping was high $9.00 for the 4 bolts I ordered. Maybe a bulk buy is the way to go.

Walter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts