Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding along and decided to have alittle fun in an unfamiliar area. I was ripping through second and saw a stop sign up ahead and I downshifted and must have let the clutch out a little fast cause my ass end locked up, went one way then the other before I could pull the clutch back in

ever happen to any of you

even though this hapened to me I still don't like the new slipper clutch, it was my own stupid fault and it wont happen again.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i've done something similar on my crotch rocket. scary. i've never ridden a bike with a slipper clutch, so i can't say if i'd want one. seems to me that a person would be better off using a regular clutch and practicing their riding to gain experience. just my $.02 though.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
naterod said:
I was riding along and decided to have alittle fun in an unfamiliar area. I was ripping through second and saw a stop sign up ahead and I downshifted and must have let the clutch out a little fast cause my ass end locked up, went one way then the other before I could pull the clutch back in

ever happen to any of you

even though this hapened to me I still don't like the new slipper clutch, it was my own stupid fault and it wont happen again.
this is what a slipper clutch is designed to fix, some people like than and others dont. I have actually never riden a bike with a slipper to give my opinion though.

i havent had it happen on the vrod but doing trackdays on sportbikes you get kind of used to it

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have it happen on my V quite a bit. I am a pretty aggressive rider. It is kind of fun once you get used to it. I have ridden bikes with slipper clutches they are fantastic when you get used to them. They allow for a really hot corner entry and down shifting without having to worry about to much compression braking or locking up the rear resulting in a low side.

·
Ricky Love MooreHead
1,440 Posts
Fun as hell once you get use to it...... Get attention stopping at lights!!!!! But be cafe cuz azz will come out from under ya if you not careful and expect it.

·
Out to Lunch
801 Posts
Yep - not proud to admit it, but I've been known to let the clutch out too fast and leave a trail of rubber before. After reading "Twist of the wrist" I'm trying not to use the engine for braking anymore and remembering to "blip" the throttle when downshifting- Keith Code's explination in the book makes sense.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Yajtsa said:
After reading "Twist of the wrist" I'm trying not to use the engine for braking anymore and remembering to "blip" the throttle when downshifting- Keith Code's explination in the book makes sense.
great read :thumb:

·
Turbo Lover
140 Posts
I've had it happen on my R1 before, when I was first getting used to the bike and didn't blip the throttle enough. I think this would tend to happen more if the throttle were not blipped on the downshift.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Yajtsa said:
Yep - not proud to admit it, but I've been known to let the clutch out too fast and leave a trail of rubber before. After reading "Twist of the wrist" I'm trying not to use the engine for braking anymore and remembering to "blip" the throttle when downshifting- Keith Code's explination in the book makes sense.
i try to always blip the throttle when I down shift, but in really hot corners you cant avoid it...

BTW everyone should read that book once!:notworth:

·
George
5,411 Posts
is blip a real word when you're not talking about radar or sonar?

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
capngeo said:
is blip a real word when you're not talking about radar or sonar?
yep

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
definition number 2

Main Entry: 1blip
Pronunciation: 'blip
Function: noun
Etymology: imitative
1 : a trace on a display screen (as an oscilloscope); especially : a spot on a radar screen
2 : a short crisp sound
3 : an interruption of the sound received in a radio or television program or occurring in a recording as a result of blipping
4 : a transient sharp movement up or down (as of a quantity commonly shown on a graph)
5 : something relatively small or inconsequential within a larger context <made only a blip on the political scene>

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Were you riding a bike with a slipper clutch?

No it wasn't a slipper but i took out the new demo dx at the local dealer and I just didn't like the feel, maybe I could get used to it. I ony took it out for about 35 minutes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts