Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so most of you know I bought an 09 Muscle off a guy a few weeks ago. It came with stage 1 with the SEPT. The guy lost the module, so now I have to buy a new one to change any settings.

BUT, What the hell is this "tuner" really, is it just an interface between the stock ECM and your computer?

I say YES, it is like a cable that you connect to your IPOD, but HD has found a way of soaking 400 bucks out of you.

It doesn't even stay on the bike. Its just an interface, the programming stays on your OEM ECM. That is just rediculas. What does it really do? Nothing I say, The computer program does the work, and the software is kept on the OEM ECM, so again.

BEND OVER AND TAKE IT, CUS YOU OWN A HARLEY!

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
It is a key that unlocks the ECM. I actually prefer it over the Power Commander because it doesn't stay on the bike so it leaves room to put other modules like air compressors and HID ballasts.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pfff, unlocks!

So if it unlocks the ECM, mine is unlocked already, so why do I need to buy a new tuner?..... Oh cus HD don't want you sharing yours with your buddies, how they gunna scam your buddies, so it seems that one tuner per bike is needed.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You are correct all it is is an interface to re-flash the bikes ECM, but it is not without precedence that they sell it the way they do. Look at all the tuners out there for cars The Hypertechs,Diablo's and so on, any tuner worth it salt for a car also is nothing more than a way to flash the ECM of the specific vehicle it was made for and 95% or better of them once locked to a vehicle will not tune another one. The last multi vehicle tuner I had to re-flash OBD-2 automobiles cost me $4000 and that was without any software to actually write maps. I had to buy vehicle make specific tuning software separate.

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts
What do they have to do with the program that is already stored on your bike from the lost module? I though the module stored the stock tune? Do they need to reflash your ECM? I have that programmer now. Jim

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
What do they have to do with the program that is already stored on your bike from the lost module? I though the module stored the stock tune? Do they need to reflash your ECM? I have that programmer now. Jim
Are you saying you lost you old tuner and now have a new one?

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, so most of you know I bought an 09 Muscle off a guy a few weeks ago. It came with stage 1 with the SEPT. The guy lost the module, so now I have to buy a new one to change any settings.

BUT, What the hell is this "tuner" really, is it just an interface between the stock ECM and your computer?

I say YES, it is like a cable that you connect to your IPOD, but HD has found a way of soaking 400 bucks out of you.

It doesn't even stay on the bike. Its just an interface, the programming stays on your OEM ECM. That is just rediculas. What does it really do? Nothing I say, The computer program does the work, and the software is kept on the OEM ECM, so again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive ridin/worked on all kinds of bikes and i do agree the tuner seems useless n over priced but....if you compare it to a power commander. U get a better value for the tuner. For example a pc cant datalog like the tuner. The pc has to stay on the bike which if ur lookin to get fast adding weight (not that its heavy) isnt going to help. N theres other options u have with the tuner over the pc.

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
Has anyone even tried to hack a stock ECM? It would seem to me that if one could... Considering what SEPTS/TTS does... tuning would all of a sudden become free...

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
What do you expect a business to do? Let one person buy it, and then lend it to all of his friends worldwide?

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
What do you expect a business to do? Let one person buy it, and then lend it to all of his friends worldwide?
Well I did buy a tuner already. It came with the bike. It would seem that I should be able to do what I want with it. Oh how UN-capitalist of me... I went out and bought two others after that.... I'm thinking I like the Hack idea.... Ever notice how the maps are free on PC site? They should only cost a couple dollars for your stock ECM and then you are set. Paying 2-3$ for a tune sounds nice to me. Kinda like buying a MP3 download ya dig?

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Well I did buy a tuner already. It came with the bike. It would seem that I should be able to do what I want with it. Oh how UN-capitalist of me... I went out and bought two others after that.... I'm thinking I like the Hack idea.... Ever notice how the maps are free on PC site? They should only cost a couple dollars for your stock ECM and then you are set. Paying 2-3$ for a tune sounds nice to me. Kinda like buying a MP3 download ya dig?
You didn't have to buy it. It was sold to you with the understanding that it could only be used on 1 motorcycle. If you didn't like it, maybe you shouldn't have bought it.

You can only use a PowerCommander on 1 bike at a time, yet you're not complaining about that. There are SERT maps available online for free.

Next, you're gonna complain that you got a ticket for noise because you put loud pipes on your bike????

·
Kidzap
1,065 Posts

Well here's some more bad news for you. Since you don't have the original SEPST the bike was tuned with, I hope you know where the guy had it dyno'd and they still have a copy of the map. You can't retrieve the map it's tuned with from the ECM you can only retrieve it from the SEPST as it writes a copy of the file to the VCM when you remap the ECM.

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
You didn't have to buy it. It was sold to you with the understanding that it could only be used on 1 motorcycle. If you didn't like it, maybe you shouldn't have bought it.

You can only use a PowerCommander on 1 bike at a time, yet you're not complaining about that. There are SERT maps available online for free.

Next, you're gonna complain that you got a ticket for noise because you put loud pipes on your bike????
Nah no complaints here they have to catch me first lol. Here is another sign of Harley gold digging. Honda for example has an ECM on their bike that can adjust and re-map itself for just about any setup. Kinda like what we pay for with an auto tuner. And your right all I can do is sit here and b*tch about it. And honestly Im going to get my hands on a wrecked models ECM and hand it over to one of my programmer buddies and let him figure out what makes it tick. Maybe He can figure out a program that will run on it so it acts as an actual tuner.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts