Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am close to buying a SE Pro EFI Super Tuner for my 2009 Nightrod Special. For those of you who have the Super Tuner or work with them, are there any significant problems with them? Thanks guys.

Phatass

·
** Place ad here **
1,460 Posts
Issues I have with the SEST

1) No way to change the pulley combination
2) No way to save what is loaded in the ECM.
3) No way to "divorce" the unit from your ECM.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Been running a super tuner on my 2009 all summer. Works great and the mechanic who tuned my bike, ( is not a harley dealer) prefers it to the after market stuff because in does not piggy back itself on the original map but replaces it completely. Less of a chance of it being incompatible.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts

1) No way to change the pulley combination Mastertune does that
2) No way to save what is loaded in the ECM. Mastertune does that
3) No way to "divorce" the unit from your ECM. Nobody's tuner that programs the ECM does that.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
AZEagle said:

1) No way to change the pulley combination Mastertune does that Actually It will let you select between 28 and 30 tooth front pulleys.
2) No way to save what is loaded in the ECM. Mastertune does that Actually, As of last update you can save the map back down to your computer from your bike.
3) No way to "divorce" the unit from your ECM. Nobody's tuner that programs the ECM does that. True but to give Master Tune credit I believe that they will divorce it from your old bike with good reason and you send it back to them for them to do it.
I have nothing against Master Tune just hate to see disinformation given out.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
no offense taken but what was disinformation here?

As far as I know they won't divorce it from a bike unless you unintentionally married it. if you marry and use it to tune, I can't see them divorcing it and that's a stated policy. They WILL sell you a tuner (for more $$) that can be married to two bikes.

Mastertune has allowed download of existing maps with their software for over a year, I did it on my bike before my first tune. It is an encrypted download and not readable, but you can definitely save the current tune.

Mastertune includes a VSS calculator that you can use to closely estimate tire rollout based on front pulley (any # teeth), rear pulley (any # teeth), wheel size, tire size and tire aspect ratio to determine the VSS constant. You also have the option to measure the actual tire rollout on the bike being tuned. You can then enter that VSS constant into the tuning file. It is definitely not limited to 28/30 tooth sprocket even though they provide examples for 28/30 in the VSS calculator. The VSS constant range is between 900 and 3000, which effectively will accomodate pretty much any pulley/wheel/tire combination.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
no offense taken but what was disinformation here?

As far as I know they won't divorce it from a bike unless you unintentionally married it. if you marry and use it to tune, I can't see them divorcing it and that's a stated policy. They WILL sell you a tuner (for more $$) that can be married to two bikes.

Mastertune has allowed download of existing maps with their software for over a year, I did it on my bike before my first tune. It is an encrypted download and not readable, but you can definitely save the current tune.

Mastertune includes a VSS calculator that you can use to closely estimate tire rollout based on front pulley (any # teeth), rear pulley (any # teeth), wheel size, tire size and tire aspect ratio to determine the VSS constant. You also have the option to measure the actual tire rollout on the bike being tuned. You can then enter that VSS constant into the tuning file. It is definitely not limited to 28/30 tooth sprocket even though they provide examples for 28/30 in the VSS calculator.

I wasn't trying to disagree with your statements about Master Tune but with AZEagle statement about his problems with the super tuner. I just grabbed and quoted yours to keep the historical data you typed in about Master tune and place next to it the truths about the latest version of Harley tuning abilities.

While we are talking though you said you can pull the existing map down and save it as an encrypted file. Is it encrypted so that you can only see and modify it with the TTS software or is it completely non-editable even using TTS sofware?

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
While we are talking though you said you can pull the existing map down and save it as an encrypted file. Is it encrypted so that you can only see and modify it with the TTS software or is it completely non-editable even using TTS sofware?
Ok sorry, I misinterpreted your comment earlier.

If you download an existing map it is encrypted and non-editable within TTS software. You can reload the map if needed but you can't open it with the TTS software. I think that was done to protect against possible infringement issues with pulling and viewing other vendors' (including HD) proprietary maps.

·
** Place ad here **
1,460 Posts
I have the latest update, and the download file said it was the last stored in the VCI and not the ECM, which technically is the last map you loaded. If the download was from the ECM then you could save your stock map to a file. Small difference but that is what I meant in my original posting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts