Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or not? I have an '03. I am told dont do it. All I want is some more rumble with the look of the stock pipes.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Nice forum site btw!

Mark
NJ
"Ride hard, ride long, or die wishing you had the chance to do so."

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Hi Mark,

Welcome! I initially went for the SE pipes when I bought my bike. They do have more bark at higher RPMs but no more bark at idle. Also, if you get the filter and download you will get a couple more ponies out of her. However, if you really want some bark, as well as a couple more ponies, I would recommend getting your stock pipes v-modded and just get the SE filter and download. You won't be disappointed!

Craig

·
Registered
601 Posts
For what it's worth, I have very close to 9000 miles on my bike and SE1, and love them; they are getting a bit louder that they were when they were installed. Even my buddies with the regular air coolers have been asking me if I did anything to it to make them louder.

I have heard the V-Mods but I am pleased with the way mine sound and don't plan on any changes.

Dave

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I rented a V-Rod with the SE pipes last month, and I like my 16GA SE's a lot better. Seems like they are getting louder over time as well, but it may be subjective. Both set off car alarms.

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
Before I met you all on this board, I installed SE Slip-ons because I couldn't hear the engine in stock mufflers.

Rode that for a month and was impressed, I could hear the V-Rod, got a little more torque, paid $426 for the pipes (not including EFI Re-Map).

While enjoying the improvements of my SE's I decided to send in the stock slip-ons for V-Mod. WOW, what a difference. Much more low end torque (probably more across the entire power band), great sound too. You can feel the difference...

Well I sent the SE's out for V-Mod too. Just got them back in time for the snows to arrive, so no comments yet. I plan on running some dyno tuning this winter and will probably take some pulls with both types of V-Mods.

For the price, $150 plus shipping and a an EFI re-map, you can't beat the stock V-Mods for:

More HP
A boost in torque
Making torque below 3000 rpm
Substantially more sound
A great growl

the V-Mods sound like what you would expect from a V-Twin Harley!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Screamin Eagles

I am signed on using a friend's address. My e-mail address is [email protected]. I have the screamin eagle double barrel pipes on my 2002 V-Rod, and I am very staisfied with them. I also changed the air filter to screamin eagle, and recalibrated the ECM with the appropriate Harley chip. The performance is much better, and the sound is much better, with more of a Harley rumble. My friend put the Screamin Eagle pipes on his V-Rod, but put the set that is similar to the stock exhaust design rather than the double barrell. The sound is improved, but not nearly the rumble of the double barrell. I notice that you are from NJ, so am I. I am in South Jersey , if you are close by, I would have no problem letting you take a listen or ride.

Rudy

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Steve, (aka ChopperSteve, aka Mr. V-Mod) sums up the SE Slip-ons vs. V-Modded stock pipes like this:

V-Modded stock pipes = local cruising and in town use, drone can get tiring if you do a lot of highway miles, especially with a full face helmet.

V-Modded SE Slip Ons = Long distance pipe. Good rumble around town, bark real well under load but do not done @ highway speeds.

The 16ga pipes are louder than either SE pipes, stock or V-Modded just as they come from HD. V-Modded they are almost as loud as the V-Modded stock pipes. They are VERY sensitive to modification, take out too much of the baffle and you start to lose power. If you like the look then the 16ga + Air Filter + Harley remap is the loudest combination that won't need a custom map to perform at it's best. The V-Modded stock pipes + Air Filter + Harley map for the SE Slip ons will work well but isn't optimal. It will however, be the loudest combination and it's the least expensive.

BTW, the most power in a stock or SE pipe is from the V-Modded SE Slip Ons with a custom ECM map.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Mark ......I have had both the stock and the SE apart, do you think that the SE makes more power because of more back pressure?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
More back pressure than V-Mods but less that the stock pipes. Seems to strike a happy medium. The removal of the deflector plate reduces backpressure but mostly at higher RPMs where the engine wants to breath anyway.

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
I swapped pipes today. Off came the "bad ass" sounding Stock V-Modded Slip-ons, and on went the V-Modded SE Slip-ons. I loaded Mark's latest RT map.

All day long, I missed the intense loud Harley exhaust sound. I must have gotten used to it over the last 400 miles of riding. Although, when I rode with them, I always thought that they were a bit too loud.

V-modded SE slip-ons have a very different sound, not as loud, different tone. I definitely don't feel like I need a set of ear plugs, the chest pounding resonance is gone. I don't have enough miles on them to comment yet.

One thing for sure, Screemin Eagles Slip-on's (not the 16g) are far better V-Modded then in their original condition. They are definitely louder this way, but not as load as the Stock V-Mods.

:2cents:

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've got the V-modded SE1s and I love 'em! For me it's a great sound without being too loud. They put out good sound, but not so much as to bother me on long highway rides or make my neighbors hate me (sure they hate me for other things...but not my pipes!)

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
The SE pipes are great. I have the 16 ga. I love the sound of them. But like all HD acc you pay the price. You can get great deals on eBay. I got a perfect set of 16 ga pipes for $330. Just email and ask questions to the seller. $600 for new pipes is pretty steep, especialy when you add the chip and filter. You may not see any available immeadiatly, but they come up all the time.

·
Registered
454 Posts
0rest 0har said:
I swapped pipes today. Off came the "bad ass" sounding Stock V-Modded Slip-ons, and on went the V-Modded SE Slip-ons. I loaded Mark's latest RT map.

All day long, I missed the intense loud Harley exhaust sound. I must have gotten used to it over the last 400 miles of riding. Although, when I rode with them, I always thought that they were a bit too loud.

V-modded SE slip-ons have a very different sound, not as loud, different tone. I definitely don't feel like I need a set of ear plugs, the chest pounding resonance is gone. I don't have enough miles on them to comment yet.

One thing for sure, Screemin Eagles Slip-on's (not the 16g) are far better V-Modded then in their original condition. They are definitely louder this way, but not as load as the Stock V-Mods.

:2cents:
Please do comment once you get a good feel of it. I have stock V-Mods now and I feel they're a bit too loud so I'm considering going to V-Mod SEs. I don't like the look of 16GA.

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
OK, I now have a couple hundred miles on the V-Mod SE Slip-ons. One thing is fore sure -- if you do SE's definitely get them V-Modded!

The sound is not as loud as the Stock V-Mods. I like the feeling of no longer riding with ear plugs, but every time I ride it now, I wonder if I really miss that loud sound. At idle the Stock V-Mods have that loud Bug! Bug! Bug! Bug! Bug! Bug! Bug! Bug! Bug! sound that definitely gets respect from everybody.

Yes, the SE V-Mods are much quieter. You need to be accelerating before the bark comes out. The sound is different, at idle its more like Potato! Potato! Potato! Potato! Potato! Potato!. When you settle in to a constant speed, they have a more quiet respectable BURRRRRR! -- no annoying chest pounding, no resonance bouncing around your helmet interior, no gasoline smell in the exhaust fumes (I still get the same 39 mpg regardless which pipes I am running). There are lots of advantages to the SE V-Mods.

I don't know whether its purely psychological or if there is truly a difference in low end torque between the two setups, but I found myself riding the V differently between both setups. With the Stock V-Mods, I was typically cruising in the 2500 rpm range (perhaps because I was trying to cruise quieter). Now with the SE V-Mods, I'm typically cruising around 3200 rpm and one gear lower. Perhaps the torque is the same, but I was trying to minimize the sound....

This SE V-mod setup should match my riding personality best, but I miss the sound of the Stock V-Mods. I think that I need a thousand miles under my belt to decide.

Hey V-Man, a small group of forum members are coming up for the last half of Laconia Bike Week, from NJ, are we going to see you then too?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts