Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new bike has light scracthes on the gas tank because my stupid girlfriend thinks she a cleaning lady.Let me add the day i purchased my new truck she did the exact same thing to the middle console.Maybe it has some kind of meaning to it but any suggestion to fixing this with out wet sanding and all that.The sctaches are light but enough to bother me but not threw the clear by any means.

·
I'd rather be riding
218 Posts
what did she use on the tank to "clean it"?

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
The factory harley clear coat is junk, it will always scuff really easy and is not durable at all. All you have to do is breath on the factory clearcoat and it will scratch. Best thing to do if you like the factory color is take it to a body shop and have them scuff it and put some good cleacoat on it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think there must have been some dirt on a rag and when she wiped the bike she jerked it up.That clear coat does suck.:mad:

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
Clear coated gas tank, I did not know that was an option:banghead:

It will buff out with any decent paint polishing compound. SCRATCHX works well for me

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Okay.. very simple to fix your tank.. Get some good microfiber cloths and Maguires Swirl Remover 2.0. Use this and the microfiber clothes to polish the scratches out. This can be done by hand very easy (since the stock paint is softer than it should be).

Once you have the swirl marks/scratches out.. Use Maguires NXT Techwax (clear coat wax) it will make the lightest swirls disappear but also make that tank shine like it has never shined before.

Give it a shot and you'll be surprised at how good it can look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts