Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
gRRR
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hya folks,

while looking for an alternative to the H-D security system I found the Scorpio alarms (used to have one on my CBR, very good) only to discover they don't have a harness kit ("plug-and-play") for the V-Rods.
I've contacted the factory and have been exchanging emails with these guys and they seem quite positive about creating one for the V-Rod (I've been mentioning my own VRSCR'06). Quoting:

"We are still looking into the connectors for the V-Rod. It is tough to get in and look at these bikes sometimes. If you would like to send us photos of the connectors on your bike to speed things up you can email some to us at this address. The connector(s) we need is/are the one which connects the tail light, license plate light and rear turn signals to the main wire harness of the bike. We need to see the style of the connector along with the wire colors that correspond to those connectors. Either way I will get back to you as soon as I am able to find this bike.

Harley Hogue
Scorpio Alarms
480 951 1109"

Since I don't have any technical abilities whatsoever, could anyone here with a '06 Street Rod help me out? I am quite far away from them so unfortunately impossible to bring my bike in, and I don't really know which connectors he's talking about... :(

If this goes well we'll have another (good) alarm option for our V-Rods! :D

THANKS in advance

·
2" of dangling death
10,933 Posts
where are they located? im sure someone could stop by and let them take a look.

·
gRRR
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If someone could drive by that would be even better!
The URL: http://www.scorpioalarms.com/contact

16055 N Dial Blvd.
Suite #B-10
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260

Hoping to find someone in "that neighborhood" to help me out...

Thanks again

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
Kev I called them and they want any year bike to look at. They say it should only take 15 minutes. I might be able to head over there later today.

·
gRRR
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jetgod said:
Kev I called them and they want any year bike to look at. They say it should only take 15 minutes. I might be able to head over there later today.
GREAT news, THANKS! Let me know how it went...

MUCH appreciated :dance:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Do they have a diagram for installation? I could probably save them a bunch of time and give them all the connector info they need, if I could see a wiring diagram. FWIW.

·
Clown OnBoard
658 Posts
I read the install instructions on-line.
I sent Scorpio support another request. Marco responded very quickly and I sent pictures of my '07 DX yesterday. Marco responded very quickly again. His response is pasted below. That's good service in my book.
I'll order and post a follow up.

I see this morning that they have already updated their website.
http://www.scorpioalarms.com/products/motorcycle

For example....
SR-i500(Pack C)
(w/ Black TRS-6) $329.00
HD-2
(Harley Davidson) $19.95 <==== drop down allows you to select V-Rod when ordering.
SN-5
Perimeter Sensor $35.00
RID-5
Ignition Disable $29.00 <==== looking for connectors so I don't have to cut wires.
BAT-5
Battery Back-Up $33.00

"We have good news, our current connector (HD-2) will work on your bike.
The connector that you would use is the same connector that would be used by the load regulator.
I verified the color code and pin position and it is the same connector that we use on the 04-08 Sporster.
Don’t worry about running the antenna vertical it’s only a suggestion, simply running the antenna under the seat is good enough.
The perimeter only has to be at least 3 inches apart from the main control module.
The battery back-up is pre installed inside the main control module."

·
gRRR
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now I am wondering - would that be the same connector for a '06 R ??

·
Clown OnBoard
658 Posts
Here's a picture of my connector(I think).

Scorpio can only show support for the '07 because that's all I verifed.
If yours looks like mine and is a different year you can send [email protected] an e-mail confirming.

If yours is different sent Marco a picture and he will see what he has that might work. If not he may be able to make you one. Its a very simple connector to make if you have the parts. I'll post a picture of the adapter when I install my alarm that arrived Friday.

Marco gave me my adapter for free for helping them out.
If you order from them you get the perimeter sensor and backup battery for free. The promotional code is "Jan_promo2".

Attachments

·
Clown OnBoard
658 Posts
Here's a pic of the Scorpio HD-2 adapter that makes the alarm plug and play on the '07's.

For Power use the existing unused plug and recepticle P160 located by ECM. It's the red wire with gray connectors hooked to nothing.
Purchase NAPA part# 725192(99 cents) and crimp to Scorpio power lead. Unplug the uwired portion of the connector and insert the terminal.
Reconnect and you are good to go.

The second picture has the unused connector in the bottom.
The Scorpio alarm module fits in the same location as the HD Smart alarm module. You have to bend back the two rear tabs to make room for the cables.

Attachments

·
Clown OnBoard
658 Posts
Update.
Scorpio now has the i900 alarm system that includes RFID technology like Digital Guard Dawg.

My Dealer loaned me an '08 VRSCDX while mine was in for the 7500 mile service.
The connectors are the same.

·
Clown OnBoard
658 Posts
antileon said:
Is it possible to install the Scorpio and still have the HD alarm system working. ?

Flemming
Not Sure about the connectors on the '06
Call Scorpio support and ask.
Toll Free: 1-800-428-0440
International: (480) 951-1109
If you enter extension 206 you will get Marco who helped me.

They are quick to respond.
Or e-mail your question.
More than likely Marco will respond to your question.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Scorpio alarm

Once you find out, let us all know.
I contacted them years ago to see if there was a compatible alarm for the vrod.

·
Clown OnBoard
658 Posts
I have the Scorpio i900 with all the extras on my '07 DX.
i900 icorporates RFID into the remote so you only have one dongle to carry around.
You can overide with the turn signals like on the Harley system.
See thread #9 and #10. I sent them pictures of my rear turn connector and they had an adapter that worked after I swapped two wires. It's a simple adapter to make if you get the connectors from HD. Or you can just use posi-tap connectors if you don't mind tapping into the factory harness.
I confirmed it on the '07 and '08. If you order the V-rod adapter listed on their site it should work on '07 and '08 without any changes.
Their support people are very responsive.

I think Scorpio makes the Harley OEM stuff.

·
gRRR
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can confirm the Scorpio HD-2 connector works on my '06 R (connector was in the front instead of back-seat). Installation was "plug&play"... :D

Much better and cheaper security system than HD's one... I am using the SR-i500 and I am very happy with it (previously used Scorpio alarms on sport bikes but works good as well on our beloved V-Rod)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was gifted the Scorpio i900 ( the most expensive alarm). Scorpio indicated that their wiring harness would fit my 2002. Unfotunately it does not (as far as I know).

My 02 has two separate turn signal plugs, but the Scorpio plug-in wiring harness only accepts a single/wider turn signal connector. I believe the harness is built for 2004's and later.

Any help with this?

·
Clown OnBoard
658 Posts
I've been running the i900 for almost 17k miles now.
All the options came with mine as part of a promotion.
Its my understanding they make the OEM stuff.

Pros...
Excellent support.
Not integrated with the factory stuff(meaning easy removal to another bike).
Mounts in the same space as the factory alarm module on top of the ECM.
Simple installation.

Cons...
The perimeter sensor can be over sensitive. Mine has been replaced twice for going off for no aparent reason.
This is a good option. Its fun to watch people step away from the bike when it warns them.
It can be disabled when parking in groups. But I find the other bikes in the group like to be around mine knowing mine will go oof if something happens.

pros and cons of this alarm please?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts