Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK- this isn't a major problem- but I find it kinda' funny, and was wondering if anyone else has the same issue.

I live on a dirt road, and every time I drive down it, my front tire picks up the little gravel and dirt, and directs it right into the front radiator scoops. There's no hole in the bottom for the gravel and dirt to get out.

OK- I know I can reach my hand in there and get most of it out, or detach the bottom.

Anybody else dealing with this?:rolleyes:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Ernie from breathlessperformance.com has grill screens that might help but they were pricey.

Max

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
You bet. We have a long gravel driveway, too, and I collect enough in my scoops to fill some of the holes in it back in. Amazing what collects in there!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yep. Used my shop vac to clean it out. There was a lot of debris after the 12 hr trip home (in the rain) from Milwaukee...

-Bry

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Found a cigarette butt in mine. No doubt tossed from a cage in front of me. If only it was considered littering. What a filthy habit.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
The Screen Looks really Trick too!:cool:

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool screen. Thanks for the tip. I might have to get the funky blue lights to go behind it as well.

Nice to know that I'm not alone.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Been there, done that, collected the rocks; but be careful that the screen doesn't effect the air flow. If you watched Discovery Birth of the V-Rod you'd see the air flow was a design issue, that is why they have the little fins on the inside of the lower half to create turbulence, install screens might effect that. You may not know it now when it's cool but in the summer, who knows.

Dave

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
John,
I think IMHO it looks very Cool!There are not a 5 minute install but feel like it was a very cool Mod!:cool:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Radiator Screen

G'day Worm.
Any chance of a photo of your radiator setup?
I live in the tropics, and high temps all year round, so I'm concerned with effecting air flow as per the previous post.

Best wishes.

Ken.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Actually, it's ok, I went to their web site.
The water temp guage looks good.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Ken,
I have the gauge.It will really let you know just how good the cooling system is on our bike!It takes a while to get upto operating temp even when it's nice out!:cool:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks Kaz.
I'll look into it.
I know we probably don't need it, but it's good to know.
That binicle would be great for a clock as well.

Best wishes.

Ken.

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
Shop vac is handy for sucking out all the debris... has anyone tried fabricating a 'trap door' for the bottom? I'll bet that would solve the problem (hmmm... I feel a winter project coming on!)

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
I have bought and installed the screens from BPP. Kaz, you're right, they are not a 5 minute install. I even had to do some trimming to make them fit right. Then in the end I took them off cuz I thought they looked cheap. Take a close look at the pic on their web site - see the big gap by the top fin? Well, after talking to Earnie, I guess they are all this way. He claims that they can't round it off and that's why the big square cut-out there. Not sure I agree with that as the tops are curved???

I think the screens are an excellent idea, just not executed that well by BPP. This is just meant as a heads-up to anyone that wants only nicely finished products on their bike - this one is not. Again, excellent idea, just needs some more work.

Just my :2cents

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a dirt (sand) road too. Its becoming my worst enemy. I don't know whats worse, the sand in the radiator or on the cuffs of my jeans and boots.

What we need is a switch that says "dirt road mode", that reverses the direction of the radiator fan blowing the sand/dirt forward and away at slow speeds. :)

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
I really like my screens from Breathless. I wasn't impressed with their service though. They cost $89 and quite frankly are one of the best looking mods on the bike .... they do not look cheap IMO.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts