Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered Useless
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any Ontario auctions or scrap yards where you can buy a "branded" (written-off) Harley for parts? V-rods in particular? I'm looking for a black NR 1250 motor.

I can't seem to track down where insurance companies send their written-off Harleys. It's as if they disappear into thin air. Plenty of Japanese, but zilch for HD's.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing as well... i know of a guy who wrote off a bagger last season, i can ask around some more.
edit; wow just realized how old this is... ever find where our bikes go to rest?

·
Registered Useless
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After following this breadcrumb trail awhile, trying to unravel the mystery of what happens to banged up Harley's in Canada, I came to the conclusion that they fall into a black hole --> CHINA. That's right! Bent and broken Harley's end up in China.

Why? Every branded Harley that is claimed by Insurance companies is sold to foreign brokers, under some kind of closed door agreement, who then in turn ship to China. What the Chinese do with all this scrap metal, well, that remains a mystery. Probably a smelter is my guess.

Of course one should ask who really benefits? What is the motive? Profit. For that, it can only point to Deeley Canada, who has quietly brokered a special arrangement between insurance companies and foreign exporters -- all for the sole purpose of denying Canadian HD customers access to used parts. In other words, forcing all of us into HD dealerships for each and every part that can't be obtained through private sale.

Deeley managed to manipulate import customs regulations on used bikes as well, making it more difficult for any US bike to pass inspection. Besides imposing arbitrary time limits as added inconvenience to the purchaser, hiking fees for this and that, all US bikes must now be equipped with a metric speedometer. KMH conversion stickers are no longer allowed. In fact, any minute difference between a US model and a Canada only model is banned outright, such as custom looking taillights on big V-twins for example.

Think about it. With the sizable cut that Deeley skims off the top of every bike or piece of merchandise sold by a sanctioned HD dealership, what did you think they were doing with all that loot? Answer: Invest some of it to protect the scam itself, so that they can continue to milk it for all its worth, and for as long as possible.

Now that Deeley Canada has been carved out of the MOCO dealership franchise, what happens to this scam remains to be seen. I would hope that a "free" market for used HD parts may slowly begin to emerge.

None of this of course applies to rice burners. There are plenty of scrap yards and used part dealers everywhere in Canada. It's just Harley's that vanish into thin air. No other bike manufacturer has a middleman quite like Deeley Canada, pulling strings and getting filthy rich in the process.

All this of course is personal conjecture. There is no investigative proof. Nor will there ever be. The best scams are ran under our very noses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts