Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all.
Just sold my Suzuki Intruder VL1500 and bought a 2003 VRSCA. I love this bike. Was wondering if anyone out there could point me in the direction of a decent set of saddlebags made for this bike that don't cost 2 thousand dollars. I may be researching in the wrong places but they seem to be a little scarce. Would very much appreciate any info you folks may have

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Get a stock factory saddlebag mount that fits your bike and buy the Viking Large Laminar Shock Cutout bags on sale for about $ 350 then mount to the stock brackets for quick disconnect removal instead of their hardware kit it comes with it they will be permanently installed not a QD. That's what I'd do -

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
The original bags are scarce as hens teeth and $ 1000+ small and kinda fuggly and prone to paint scratches when boarding the bike, more show than go. You could also get a set of H-D Nylon Sport bags and a later model stock frame bracket that fits the A and go that route. I've got the OEM H-D bracket on my '06 R Model with the Nylon Q.D. sport bags I'm pretty happy with that but I spent 35 Man hours installing a second set of Q.D. latches so they wouldn't fly off like others have had happen - but you can also just use a tie wrap or clamp on the front to fasten them down safely. Later I'm buying the Vikings they're lockable as well, and the shock cutout lets them mount farther forward - nice setup.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I bit the bullet and got the Corbin bags after having ordered a stock hard bag set used/scratched for $750. Used and scratched they go for 1000 + as a set, but if you watch ebay there are a couple of recyclers that let them go one side at at time normally for 200 each and brackets separate.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
I found a like new stock beetle bag black vinyl covered set for $ 1200 !! and I almost bought them - I wanted the hard bags first but after reading all the stories about scuffs & scratches from passengers getting on & off the bike & parking I knew I'd be worried about them all the time so I started looking at soft or vinyl / leather bags - I'll get the Vikings eventually but the nylon HD sport bags work pretty well I just have to careful with the zippers and they're not lockable. In any event good luck with the great looking Corbins - you might be able to put an extra clear coat on them to help avoid future scratches or even clear 3M vinyl ( like car front end protector film ) on the very top and sides where shoes or other tightly parked bikes may hit to protect them - Enjoy 'em !

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Knut - yea I'll try to get some photos if you decide to do it but only you way up there in the long winter may have the time to install the second latch :giggle: - I now understand why HD didn't install it it took me like 35 hours to get all the parts, screws, tap, SS release push pin and grind it to fit, drilling out a bag rivet, training the hole over and cutting the head off a SS bolt, machining a groove in it for the lock plate to engage it and assembling the whole thing - just a Big Giant P.I.A$$ honestly. They work though as a semi quick release but you have to take a 6" metal ruler and bend the end over 1/4" 90 degrees so you can hit the release push pin which hides behind the fwd Allen bolt ( that mounts the bag rack to the fender on the R.) Kinda a bag anti - theft device - not that anyone would want to steal them since they don't lock if you put valuables in them they just open the zipper - but there's that. In any event a big releasable industrial tie-wrap, two piece latch with a small lock or worm clamp on the front will achieve the same no blow off the bike goal so I would absolutely recommend that for you - saving you 4 days of work - unless you're a Masochist and have the time and really want to punish yourself, let me know (y):)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts