Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stever,
Thanks man, I don't have a SM, maybe I need one since I can't afford stealership shop prices anymore. This forum is great!

p.s. Stever: I think my model (DX) is different than the model (A) referred to in that thread.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
...I think my model (DX) is different than the model (A) referred to in that thread.
You’re right. I was going by your description and forgot I was in the DX section. Looking at the 2010 parts catalog and the instructions for the VRSCF Rigid Saddlebags (91172-09, -J04704 instructions) I don’t see any “factory installed saddlebag mounts” on the late model bikes with the 240 tires. The piece that "crazy2sin" cut off is part of the inner fender or "seat pan" as HD calls this (48523-07 for the VRSCAW and VRSCDX). This piece being removed from late model seat pans is used to mount the license plate bracket (or "dog’s ass" as some call it) as well as to mount saddle bag supports. The parts shown in the earlier thread that are attached with bolts on the early models are only used to attach the saddlebag supports.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My "factory installed saddle bag mounts" are actually a saddlebag frame that mounts under the rear fender, I think I have to remove rear tire to get to take it off. It was an accessory purchased with the bike and installed by stealership shop. I hate the way they look and am in the process of cleaning up my rear, relocating the tag and blinkers, removing the passenger pillion and luggage rack, etc. I never have a passenger, thought the ole lady was gonna ride with, but, she won't. Says she wants her own ride, LOL. I don't have much motorcycle mechanical experience, but can do simple jobs. Have some basic tools, but need a jack or lift that won't cost me an arm/leg.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
My "factory installed saddle bag mounts" are actually a saddlebag frame that mounts under the rear fender, I think I have to remove rear tire to get to take it off. It was an accessory purchased with the bike and installed by stealership shop. ...
As you mention these were a dealer installed accessory so they weren’t "factory installed".

·
RIP Nigel & KAK
942 Posts
My "factory installed saddle bag mounts" are actually a saddlebag frame that mounts under the rear fender, I think I have to remove rear tire to get to take it off. It was an accessory purchased with the bike and installed by stealership shop. I hate the way they look and am in the process of cleaning up my rear, relocating the tag and blinkers, removing the passenger pillion and luggage rack, etc. I never have a passenger, thought the ole lady was gonna ride with, but, she won't. Says she wants her own ride, LOL. I don't have much motorcycle mechanical experience, but can do simple jobs. Have some basic tools, but need a jack or lift that won't cost me an arm/leg.
You might have an extra bracket thats part of the mounting hardware for saddlebags, im not sure since I've never seen one. You dont have to remove the tire even if thats the case. Just remove the passenger seat and then unbolt the rear fender. That will give you access to the frame for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts