Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Full Speed Realtor
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a cruise through the country, my first ride w/ my new H-D hard bags (2-tone, beetle style). I was moving along at about 60mph when one of my bags decided to jettison itself from my bike. It's not broken, but it's way too skinned up to keep on the bike. I had the road tools to re-attach and get the POS home, but will now remove it before I get sick looking at it anymore.

I'm at a complete loss as to how it occurred. I cranked down the mounting bolts with a good amount of force, yet the vibration made them both back completely out. I could have used lock-tite, but wanted the ability to easily remove them. I'm in a pretty sour mood right now. :hitfan:

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Sorry, to hear about your misfortune...Maybe check ebay for another Bag

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
I'm not sure what the hard bags are made of ? if its fiberglass they can be fixed and im sure cheaper than it would cost to replace.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
if you bought it new and it's within 90 days, it might still be under warranty? maybe there was something defective in the mounting bolts or whatever?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Well, when I returned from Chicago last month, my left saddlebag felt a little wobbly so I took it in to have them check it among other things. They told me it was fine but they went ahead and tightened the bolts to make sure. Wednesday, my dear hubby asked me what happened and pulled the bottom part of the left saddlebag about 6 inches away from the bike and let it flop back!! So we took it back in Thursday and the bushings and bolts are completely gone!!
I go in today to check on it and they tell me they have to order a completely new mounting kit because you can't buy the bushings and bolts by themselves! And they can't get the part in until NEXT Thursday!!
I have decided that is a load of crap and I am getting it tomorrow and one of my husband's buddies who is a machinest is going to use a little southern engineering on it to hold it in place until the parts come in!
My dealer told me he thinks someone may have stolen the bushings since you can't buy them by themselves but when I told him I had brought it in 3 weeks ago to check it, he said that the tech could have just told me they tightened it and never got around to even checking the bushings and bolts at all!
So double check your bushings if you have the hard saddlebags! And use the loctite!!

·
Have Gun Will Travel
1,008 Posts
I would check ebay periodically. There is assuredly someone out there that laid their bike down on the other side and has an uninjured saddlebag to match yours.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Its a fact folks, the V-Rod does not want to be a bagger!!!

The mysterious forces of sheeding unecessary stuff are at work conspiring to keep the v-Rod free of unecessary extra baggage!!!

JOKE, its a JOKE!! Kind of makes you wonder what forces really are at work causing this though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts