Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some saddle bags when I at my local shop(yamaha honda, and suzuki) to see if they would exchange my helmet since it is to small. They guy said sure and even told me to keep the current one since they were ordering my new one.

Oddly not sure why I did not hit the HD dealer for the helmet when I will be getting my vrod this spring. :banghead:

They had a good selection of soft leather and non leather kinds that slip over or under the seat not sure which. They all seem to look to be universal. Are they all universal or do I need a set designed for my 1981 suzuki?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Why are you asking this on a V-Rod forum???

Saddle bags have several issues to work. How they attach, how low they hang, how big they are, what clearances are required, etc. the bag needs to connect to the bike somehow, it should not touch the exhaust system or chain, and there could be interferences with passenger foot pegs, rear turn signals or the seat itself. Then add the millions of variations associated to any modification an owner may make. Sometimes the mods required on a specific bag could be made easily but obviously you do not want to get into cutting and restiching a bag to avoid an interference.

So there are generic bags but I would not call any of them universal, Typically the manufacturer will have some indication of what a specific model will fit. Best thing to do is go to the shop and trial fit them or buy specific bags designed for a specific bike.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOw did not realize the headach. Next time I am in there I will have them see what is setup for my bike. Or just wait till I get the vrod :D
Why are you asking this on a V-Rod forum???

Saddle bags have several issues to work. How they attach, how low they hang, how big they are, what clearances are required, etc. the bag needs to connect to the bike somehow, it should not touch the exhaust system or chain, and there could be interferences with passenger foot pegs, rear turn signals or the seat itself. Then add the millions of variations associated to any modification an owner may make. Sometimes the mods required on a specific bag could be made easily but obviously you do not want to get into cutting and restiching a bag to avoid an interference.

So there are generic bags but I would not call any of them universal, Typically the manufacturer will have some indication of what a specific model will fit. Best thing to do is go to the shop and trial fit them or buy specific bags designed for a specific bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts