Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body got the Slim sac bag (94852) or the bigger Nylon sac bag (98912)?
Both fit on the touring backrest, I have got to that time to order the goodies I want with my bike and these seem like good ideas, albeit pricey.
I was going to order them, but thought I'd ask you guys first.
Thanks

·
Come back Max
435 Posts
I wanted a bag big enough to take a 35 SLR sized camera, tripod and a few other gizmos including sandwiches and a drink.

I had a look at the Slim sac bag and thought it a waste of time and money. In the end I bought the bigger nylon bag. It looks great and has enough space for all my needs. I turned it around so that it sits on the pillion seat in stead of on the rack which I don't have.

Have not had a chance to use it yet as the weather is dire.

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
I can't speak for the Nylon sac bag, I have the leather version. They tend to droop after time and tend to cover the tail light. I've reinforced the bottom of mine and works OK now.

I have heard the nylon sac will also droop but not as much as the leather.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I've got the Half SAC and Full SAC in nylon. They will sag but if you replace the plastic bottom stiffener with some 1/8" wood (I used some nice poplar from Home Depot) they hold their shape well. One thing to note, the full SAC will sag quite a bit if it's not full and their picture that shows the two bags mounted together is misleading. It only works that way on our bikes if you flop the half SAC forward, where the passenger would be sitting.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had a Cool and a half SAC combo (nylon). The Cool was too small to be useful so I had it exchanged for a half and a full SAC combo. They do sag over the tail light/turn signals when mounted on the luggage rack. I replaced the bottom reinforcer with a piece of pressed board and it's much better now however the visibility of the signals is still somewhat limited. BTW, SAC is a great company to deal with although their lead time tends to be quite long.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I have the leather SAC. I just keep a cooler in it to keep its shape. Its usually on the front, so I can use it as a backrest. It si surprising how much you can cram into one of those.

·
Registered
284 Posts
G'day Mr Vrodder.
Try Chicago HD. I just purchased one from them (I'm in Australia) and their price without postage was $112 US, which was the cheapest I could find, and way cheaper than in Australia (by half).
www.chigagoharley.com
I've purchased from them before, and the service was very good.
With the Pommy Pound, the exchange should be ok.
(Wish I could say the same for the bloke in the US who ripped me off via Ebay for the other Sac Bag!)

Best wishes.

Ken.

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ken said:
G'day Mr Vrodder.
Try Chicago HD. I just purchased one from them (I'm in Australia) and their price without postage was $112 US, which was the cheapest I could find, and way cheaper than in Australia (by half).
www.chigagoharley.com
I've purchased from them before, and the service was very good.
With the Pommy Pound, the exchange should be ok.
(Wish I could say the same for the bloke in the US who ripped me off via Ebay for the other Sac Bag!)

Best wishes.

Ken.
UK price for the Nylon SAC (I guess its the half SAC) is £145, the Slim SAC (same size as back pad) is £103.
Nearly £150 for a nylon bag is not "playing the game"
:spank:
I had a look at the SAC website, I know where to get cool footrests too

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm currently working on making a removable plastic frame to go inside my new JC Whitney black leather "Expandable Sissy Bar Pack/Duffel Bag Set". The 3 piece set, including nylon rain cover, was $99.00. The frame is designed to work in the main bag when it is expanded to its deeper configuration. It will cause it to keep its shape regardless of the contents.

In addition, I have attached a 1/4" plywood 'floor' to the frame which will be used to help attach the bag firmly to the luggage rack - through the bottom of the bag. The bag already has a sleeve and adjustable nylon straps to attach it to the backrest. It should be fairly stable with these two attachments. I'll let you know if it works out - of course, since I am doing it, it may be a total disaster.
:2cents:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just bought the 98912 Nylon SAC bag. My observations so far:

- it's fitted for use with a specific backrest and tail rack.
- I don't see how it will sag over the tail light if you have a tail rack.
- it has a waterproofing material on the inside which trapped water somewhere in the manufacturing/shipping process and took 3 washings to get rid of the incredibly bad smell.
- it slightly blocks the saddlbag lids. if you push against the SAC and tilt the saddlebag lid, they open. the included instructions warn about paint damage if the bag lids rub against the SAC. if they had built the SAC 2" narrower, it wouldn't have been a problem.
- it's much bigger inside than it seems. I can get an Aerostitch jacket with its huge armored back, shoulders and elbows and a sweater into the SAC. I'd say it's close to the entire (usable) capacity of both saddlebags.
- nice bag. lots of internal stiffening and padding. pricey, but well built.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
hippo888 said:
I just bought the 98912 Nylon SAC bag. My observations so far:

- it slightly blocks the saddlbag lids. if you push against the SAC and tilt the saddlebag lid, they open. the included instructions warn about paint damage if the bag lids rub against the SAC. if they had built the SAC 2" narrower, it wouldn't have been a problem.
I think you just figured out why the half SAC that is sold at the Harley shops specifically for the V-Rod is 4" narrower than the one you get directly from SAC ;)

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have decided not to get the SAC bags at this time and get both chrome belt guards for £20 less than the 2 bags. (seems like a no brainer)
I will get the HD half bag later, but not a UK one.
Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have the leather SAC that I kept from my deuce. It holds more than you'd think. for the v rod... I made my own backrest pad... as the v rod one is too small and won't hold the bag correctly. the pad is ugly.. but ONLY used when the bag is on so you can't see it. nice bag

·
AMF
423 Posts
I originally bought the slim sac and it serves it purpose for a days ride if all you want to carry in some keys and extra gloves. I wanted something to hold my small stuff while riding to work and for that it serves it's purpose. I just upgraded to the half sac for the Fla trip and I think this is a keeper for now. It holds 5 times what the slim sac holds and is reasonable in cost compared to the slim sac. I bought mine from Surdyke for $210. I think I paid $99 for the slim sac which was full retail. I did not know at the time you could get discounts thru the internet on HD accessories.

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
vrodjohn said:
I originally bought the slim sac and it serves it purpose for a days ride if all you want to carry in some keys and extra gloves. I wanted something to hold my small stuff while riding to work and for that it serves it's purpose. I just upgraded to the half sac for the Fla trip and I think this is a keeper for now. It holds 5 times what the slim sac holds and is reasonable in cost compared to the slim sac. I bought mine from Surdyke for $210. I think I paid $99 for the slim sac which was full retail. I did not know at the time you could get discounts thru the internet on HD accessories.
Hi John, is the Slim SAC made of leather or nylon because the one on the SAC website is leather but HD cat, does not say??

·
AMF
423 Posts
mr_vrodder said:
Hi John, is the Slim SAC made of leather or nylon because the one on the SAC website is leather but HD cat, does not say??
The Slim SAC is leather. In my opinion it is not very good quality leather. It has a coating on it, I think to protect it from the weather. The coating is easily scratched or marked. I would not recommend it, it does not look good on the bike either.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I need to correct some incorrect information I posted earlier. The nylon sac does sag. After a couple of hundred miles of use, my nylon sac is sagging over the luggage rail. It seems that the supporting material used on the bottom of the sac is not strong enough to support a loaded sac. Apologies to the guys I contradicted earlier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts