Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO ALL, I BOUGHT A SAC (tm) H-D FABRIC CYLINDER BAG FOR THE BACK OF MY BIKE. LOOKED GOOD IN THE PICTURE IN THE MAG. ONCE I PUT IT ON MY BIKE, IT SAGGED DOWN OVER THE SIDES OF MY LUGGAGE RACK. I WOULDN'T CARE IF IT WASN'T A V-ROD. IT WOULD LOOK ALRIGHT ON A SOFT TAIL OR FAT BOY, BUT NOT ON THE V. NOW I AM GOING TO PUT THE DR'S LIGHT ON THE BACK (STAGE 2) AND HIS LICENCE PLATE BRACKET WITH TURN SIGNALS ON TOO. THE BAG LOOKS LIKE S###! IS THE LEATHER ONE ANY BETTER? I'M A PACK RAT, I'VE GOT TO BRING CERTAIN THINGS WITH ME WHEN I RIDE. RAIN SUIT, GLOVES, ETC. ANY ADVICE WILL BE MUCHLY APPRICEATED. ripjlbait

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
1BADV,

The bag should have an insert in the bottom to help prevent sagging. The POS that comes with it needs to be replaced with something rigid. I used some 1/4" thick poplar cut to a slightly larger size than the plastic cardboard that comes with the SAC. It keeps it pretty flat and helps prevent the sagging over the sides of the luggage rack.

BTW, Typing in CAPS is considered SHOUTING ;)

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Two round particle board disks, two pieces of pine, and mine now supports whatever I hang on it

·
4,638 Posts
mjw930 said:
1BADV,

The bag should have an insert in the bottom to help prevent sagging. The POS that comes with it needs to be replaced with something rigid. I used some 1/4" thick poplar cut to a slightly larger size than the plastic cardboard that comes with the SAC. It keeps it pretty flat and helps prevent the sagging over the sides of the luggage rack.

BTW, Typing in CAPS is considered SHOUTING ;)
:spank: :spank:

·
Registered
472 Posts
SAC customer service

I am considering purchasing the SAC fabric bag, also, as my "long-distance" bag.

I had a little problem with my H-D (Half-SAC) bag (similar to the Half-SAC but 14" wide instead of 17" wide). I contacted Peter McGuiness, Jr. at SAC (1-800-445-8946 extension 302).

He owns a V-Rod so I introduced him to our forum here. They did great by me and they have a real concern about the quality of their product. Give him a call and I'm sure he'll come back with the info and the help you need.

He mentioned they are also working on V-Rod saddlebags down the road. They seem to be innovative and certainly customer-service sensitive.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks For All The Input! I Thought I Would Take Some 1/16 Or 1/32 Poly Sheeting That I Use In My Stock Car Fab Work, And Pop Rivit A Piece To The Bottom In A Contour, That Would Hold The Shape. Do You Guys Agree? I've Been Putting That Off, Because I Feel That If We Pay This Much For For A Bag That Has H-d On It, It Should Be The Best!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1badv

VrodRick74 said:
Hey Marty, I've been slammed all week, bulbs going out tomorrow.
HI RICK, CAN'T WAIT! I'LL BE RIDING AT NIGHT SOON. MJG :vrod:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sac H-d Bags

mtbtreker said:
I'd also suggest a thicker base plate.

www.coolsac.com several bags to choose from.
ARE THEY ALL AS BAD? I REALLY WONDER. I'M GLAD I DIDN'T BUY THE LEATHER. AND I HAVE THE REQUIRED H-D PARTS TO HOLD IT UP. :vrod:

·
skin changer
824 Posts
I have the leather HD SAC 98911-01 on my bike and I love it. :) I'm glad I went with the leather..it sure looks better on the bike and the leather compliments the Sundowner saddle very nicely plus it keeps the bike just a little classier looking in MHO.
I was going to get saddle bags but after using the SAC...I'm happy with only that.
I went to the dealer and looked at the fabric (which is what I went for because of $$) but after seeing them side by side I went with the leather for the looks and it is stronger all around so that I have no sagging problems to speak of and I have not made (or will not make) any mods to it. None needed.
My helmet even fits in it nicely and I couldn't get it in the saddlebags.
Just MHO...I'm happy with my set-up :thumb:

·
Registered
150 Posts
1BADV said:
ARE THEY ALL AS BAD? I REALLY WONDER. I'M GLAD I DIDN'T BUY THE LEATHER. AND I HAVE THE REQUIRED H-D PARTS TO HOLD IT UP. :vrod:

just different stickers really, plus they're usually cheaper than through HD. If you change bikes, they'll change the mounts on your bags to fit the new ride.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sac Bag

Jimaroo said:
I am considering purchasing the SAC fabric bag, also, as my "long-distance" bag.

I had a little problem with my H-D (Half-SAC) bag (similar to the Half-SAC but 14" wide instead of 17" wide). I contacted Peter McGuiness, Jr. at SAC (1-800-445-8946 extension 302).

He owns a V-Rod so I introduced him to our forum here. They did great by me and they have a real concern about the quality of their product. Give him a call and I'm sure he'll come back with the info and the help you need.

He mentioned they are also working on V-Rod saddlebags down the road. They seem to be innovative and certainly customer-service sensitive.
HI JIMAROO, I CALLED PETER, HE WAS NICE, HE OWNS A V TOO. HE SAID HE WOULD SEND ME SOMTHING TO PUT IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BAG. I CAN MODIFY THE BAG MYSELF, THAT WASN'T MY POINT, MY POINT IS, IF A PERSON SPENDS A LOT OF MONEY TO BUY THE BAG THEY SEE IN THE ADVERTISING FOR THE PRODUCT, THEY SHOULD GET WHAT THEY PAY FOR. PETER BLAMES H-D FOR DEMANDING THAT THE BAG BE LIGHT. ALSO BECAUSE THE WAY THE BAG IS MADE. NICE GUY, I'M STILL UNHAPPY WITH THE PRODUCT. WHAT HE HAS IN HIS FAVOR...THE SAC IS THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN. GOTTA HAVE SOMTHING. WHAT DO YOU THINK? GOTTA BLAST! :vrod:

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
The T-BAG EZ-T is great for day trips or an overnight if need be. Looks good too IMHO.....And no sagging.....

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Tbag809, Good Shot, Bag Looks Good. I'll Check Them Out. Gotta Blast!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm looking for all possibilities. I need the extra room for travel.
The T-Bag doesn't look like it will fit my 12" wide Corbin passenger backrest (only goes up to 11" wide).
Also, it seems the SAC is twice the size of the T-Bag (3,230 c.i. vs 1,485 c.i.).

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Jimaroo said:
I'm looking for all possibilities. I need the extra room for travel.
The T-Bag doesn't look like it will fit my 12" wide Corbin passenger backrest (only goes up to 11" wide).
Also, it seems the SAC is twice the size of the T-Bag (3,230 c.i. vs 1,485 c.i.).
Jim,

Check out Nelson Rigg. Their bags are larger, have a better attachment design and are cheaper than either SAC or T-Bag

www.nelsonrigg.com

Mark

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ah, Mark,
You are a wealth of knowledge, my friend.
:notworth:
I'm looking at their CTB450 with a CTB200 sitting on top of it.
The size looks perfect - right in between T-Bags and SAC (although they have bigger ones also) and it looks like a good system. I've e-mailed them with some questions.
Do you have their product?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts