Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 2012 Night rod special, went in for 1000 mile check, had s.e. cams installed, noticed a tapping sound while going down the road, to me it sounds like possibly valve lash. the dealer said this was normal for the camms, also had full syn. oil put in. I can really hear the tick,tick,tick, sound coming from the rear exh. cam. I say this is bull shit! I've had old shovelheads with solid lifters make less noise than this new V-rod!!!! DEALER WONT HELP Is there anyone out there that can help?:bash:

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
got a 2012 Night rod special, went in for 1000 mile check, had s.e. cams installed, noticed a tapping sound while going down the road, to me it sounds like possibly valve lash. the dealer said this was normal for the camms, also had full syn. oil put in. I can really hear the tick,tick,tick, sound coming from the rear exh. cam. I say this is bull shit! I've had old shovelheads with solid lifters make less noise than this new V-rod!!!! DEALER WONT HELP Is there anyone out there that can help?:bash:
The shims required for installing the cams in the 30076-09 SE Pro Stage II kit are rather large compared to what's required for the OEM cams. I'd guess the shop assembled the engine with under sized shims because they didn’t have the required larger sizes. Often shims are required that are thicker than the thickest one that HD sells (3.000 mm) as mentioned in this thread.

·
Friend of Max.
21,715 Posts
Your best bet is to either get a manual and do the back lash yourself, or call chopper steve at v-mod.com and have him do it. 02man is also in wisconsin and can do this in his sleep, if you can arrange something with him.

·
liquid smooth
320 Posts
The stage 2 cams are noisier than stock but shouldn't be extremely noisy. When my dealer installed mine they had to order thicker shims from an aftermarket company because Harley did not have thick enough shims. Also are you using the Harley syn 3 synthetic oil? If you are switch to something else. The syn 3 oil thins out pretty bad when it gets hot and the engine will become noisier. Use Mobil 1, amsoil, or regular 20 50 Harley oil. My dealer even advised against the syn 3 stuff.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
The stage 2 cams are noisier than stock but shouldn't be extremely noisy. When my dealer installed mine they had to order thicker shims from an aftermarket company because Harley did not have thick enough shims. Also are you using the Harley syn 3 synthetic oil? If you are switch to something else. The syn 3 oil thins out pretty bad when it gets hot and the engine will become noisier. Use Mobil 1, amsoil, or regular 20 50 Harley oil. My dealer even advised against the syn 3 stuff.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Why didn't you say so in your post on this thread? You did see the question, "Is it noisy?" didn't you?

I appreciate that you were the first to respond, but I surely could've used that sort of info before I bought the cams! Now I'm going to worry that I've made a mistake.

Is it alright if I copy-and-paste your quote above onto my "Driveability Review" thread so that others know of the extra noise?

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
The cams are definitely louder than stock, especially if you went straight from a stock airbox with the top on, to topless. You get used to the noise after a bit, but is really noticeable at first.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am wondering if they didn't use big enough shims. I also had the syn. oil put in at the same time, but the major part of the noise is coming from the rear cam. I put the air cover back on,taped the holes shut & went for a test ride, the noise is mechanical, a loud ticking sound, extremly annoying! the noise is loudest at part throttle traveling down the road. Their dyno tech did not recommend dyno tuning, said the S.E. tune is very sufficeint for my set up. I'm wondering about this also; cams,k&n air filter,short vel. stacks,s.e. tuner,st. fatshots & no dyno tune?:spank::::banghead:

·
Registered
574 Posts
I am wondering if they didn't use big enough shims. I also had the syn. oil put in at the same time, but the major part of the noise is coming from the rear cam. I put the air cover back on,taped the holes shut & went for a test ride, the noise is mechanical, a loud ticking sound, extremly annoying! the noise is loudest at part throttle traveling down the road. Their dyno tech did not recommend dyno tuning, said the S.E. tune is very sufficeint for my set up. I'm wondering about this also; cams,k&n air filter,short vel. stacks,s.e. tuner,st. fatshots & no dyno tune?:spank::::banghead:
Sorry to hear about your problem. Did you try to disassemble the engine and figure it out at all?

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I would find a new stealer to deal with... The cams are a LOT louder than the stock, there are numerous threads discussing this.. As for the dyno tune, I would recommend one, the standard se tune will be in the ball park but you want it right....

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
I would find a new stealer to deal with... The cams are a LOT louder than the stock, there are numerous threads discussing this.. As for the dyno tune, I would recommend one, the standard se tune will be in the ball park but you want it right....

What?!?!?!!!!!

That's not what you said here!

Is it hard to start? No, but I keep mine on a battery tender
Does it pull better down low, mid range, upper RPM? Mid and Upper
Does it run rough? No
Does it stall? No
Does it suck gas? Little more, because you will be twisting it more
Is it noisy? Little bit, but in a good way..
Does it run hotter? nope
Is it smooth? yes
Is it a mistake for the commuter to use these cams? I dont think so...
Are they worth the money ($400 + install + dyno tune) to you? YES

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
they are noisier, but in a good way, I wear ear plugs when I ride so I dont notice them all that much with the V&H Comp exhaust and at 7-9 K RPM's....But then I know nothing and have a trailer queen, that is only rode on clear days for short trips.....

·
Registered
550 Posts
I dont understand why the tech said you dont need a dyno tune because the se tune is sufficeint. If it was me i spent good money upgrading the cams for more performance i would want to get all power possible from that engine. Not just sufficent amount of power. I would even had a custom map installed

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
I dont understand why the tech said you dont need a dyno tune because the se tune is sufficeint. If it was me i spent good money upgrading the cams for more performance i would want to get all power possible from that engine. Not just sufficent amount of power. I would even had a custom map installed

He said it because he doesn't know how to tune a V-Rod. But he does know how to sell a download!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Switching back 2 reg. h.d. oil. We'll see if this really helps quiet down the cam ticking noise. If I gotta end up wearing ear plugs 2 keep from hearing that tick I'm gonna be pissed off.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
Switching back 2 reg. h.d. oil. We'll see if this really helps quiet down the cam ticking noise. If I gotta end up wearing ear plugs 2 keep from hearing that tick I'm gonna be pissed off.
okay then,

let me ask are you running topless.

If you are you did not follow the instruction?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts