Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been answered before but, can you run topless with no ECM upgrade, or will it run too lean. If you can, can you install a SE air filter and run topless with no ECM upgrade(to lean??).

Thanks to anyone who can :helpme:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
No, you cannot change the air filter or remove the top without making modification to the EFI. You won't gain any HP and you'll risk damaging the bike due to a lean condition.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
MJW930:

Not quite true. You CAN run the K&N filter without an upgrade AND if you have a 2002, you CAN run without the top IF you use the original sensor location without leaning things out too much. There is a 3-4 HP gain with this combo using STOCK unmodified mufflers.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
V-Rod I FL said:
MJW930:

Not quite true. You CAN run the K&N filter without an upgrade AND if you have a 2002, you CAN run without the top IF you use the original sensor location without leaning things out too much. There is a 3-4 HP gain with this combo using STOCK unmodified mufflers.
I have Modded stock bikes "Topless" but keep the stock filter on till you get more fuel.It will increase HP Pretty Safely"There are ALWAYS EXCEPTIONS" and you should be fine till you free her up more with a Better Breathing Filter or Exhaust system in that case it's time to adress the Air/fuel Ratio! :cool:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
V-Rod I FL said:
MJW930:

Sure you can do it but I gaurantee you will be lean, probably not enough to hurt the bike but still leaner than I choose to run the bike.

As long a you leave that cork they call a muffler on the bike I suppose you could do a lot to the intake without causing any serious damage ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's refreshing to see a picture of a family without a bike in it.

Thanks
Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts