Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that my fans are comming on at almost the same point or travel everyday. It seems that no matter the ride at the same point of travel they come on. Now its been warm mid 80's and up to tripple digets. Dose not seem to be ambeint temp that dose it. When I get off the hiway after about 12 miles at the top of the ramp the fan comes on. If not there within 500 ft of that. There is a traffic light at the top of the ramp and another at the 500 ft mark. So at either light it comes on. If I go the other way with no light or having to wait by the time I get to my chiropracter about 3/4 mile the fans are on. Oil temp is cool about 190 according to the dip stick guage. I have also had the fans kick on for a few seconds just as I turn the bike off with the key switch. This is after a logner ride 20 miles or so. How long is normal for the fans to run. I heard them kick on on the hiway at 70 MPH and stay on for a while. Yes it was hotter high 90's. ITs going in for its 10,000 in a few weeks about 1200 miles. Wondering if they need to know something. Thanks y'all.

I read the service manual about the on and off temps the fans should work.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Nas3car said:
I have noticed that my fans are comming on at almost the same point or travel everyday. It seems that no matter the ride at the same point of travel they come on. Now its been warm mid 80's and up to tripple digets. Dose not seem to be ambeint temp that dose it. When I get off the hiway after about 12 miles at the top of the ramp the fan comes on. If not there within 500 ft of that. There is a traffic light at the top of the ramp and another at the 500 ft mark. So at either light it comes on. If I go the other way with no light or having to wait by the time I get to my chiropracter about 3/4 mile the fans are on. Oil temp is cool about 190 according to the dip stick guage. I have also had the fans kick on for a few seconds just as I turn the bike off with the key switch. This is after a logner ride 20 miles or so. How long is normal for the fans to run. I heard them kick on on the hiway at 70 MPH and stay on for a while. Yes it was hotter high 90's. ITs going in for its 10,000 in a few weeks about 1200 miles. Wondering if they need to know something. Thanks y'all.

I read the service manual about the on and off temps the fans should work.

I am lucky enough to have a v-gauge so I can monitor temps. My water temp changes according to traffic and even how far in front the next car or truck is. My fans come on exactly at 221 and go off at 210 but never have they come on going down the road but it would be possible if hot dogging.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Max that dose explain part if it. I ride like I am in the draft at Daytona. If an inch is to be had someone will try to get in. How long to cool off you bike when they do come on? It seems like several minutes 10 or more. I know that when we are testing operations on cars and the fans come on they cycle often when sitting still but only run for a short time. I figure more cooling volume.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Nas3car said:
Thanks Max that dose explain part if it. I ride like I am in the draft at Daytona. If an inch is to be had someone will try to get in. How long to cool off you bike when they do come on? It seems like several minutes 10 or more. I know that when we are testing operations on cars and the fans come on they cycle often when sitting still but only run for a short time. I figure more cooling volume.

There are two fans but they are not huge so cycle time has a lot to do with outside temps. Mine usually cycle on for a couple of minutes when they do come on.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I noticed fresh oil keeps those fans from coming on too much. Other then coming on at speed, my fans come on after a highway trip then exiting to slow or not moving traffic. So I think your in line. Your going to like those fresh set of plugs(ask for the platinums) Good luck.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
I'm with Max. On my trip to/from KC, I watched temps on my V-Gauge a lot. What I found interesting was that if I was in traffic - even at highway speeds - that the temp would climb. I attribute it to 'dirty air' - all the air turbulence from the cars/trucks around or ahead of me affected cooling efficiency. Once I got past traffic, the temps would drop right back down as the radiator was able to pull in clean air. I kept thinking of the laminar airflow section of "Birth of the V-Rod".

My fans don't cycle on unless I am in stop-and-go traffic.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks guys, I am almost thinking that I had a wire issue. I found some wires that were streched. I had a wire harness installed and the dealer tech didnt do such a nice job. I have fixed several things. I just did an oil change to Amsoil again. The oil temp is low or normal so I am not too worried. I may just have to hit it with an infered temp sensor. It was really when I heard them on the hiway that got me wondering. Could be the poor air flow and warmer temps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts