Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ride Hard
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new 09 v-rod I only have 100 miles on her but I am worried about the cooling system. I can be ridding for a few miles and come to a stop and the fans come on at a stop sign. My old 06 v-rod never had the fans come on until it was 100 degrees out and I had been flogging it. I thought the system might have air but the filler neck is full and the bleed screw is full when I pulled it. Do the new bikes fans come on at a lower temp? What the hell did they do to the air box cover? It weighs 10 pounds. They must be sheet metal now. Where did the aluminum go?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Airbox covers are now steel instead of aluminum, hence the weight gain.
As far as fans kicking on sooner, it maybe due to you now having a 1250 engine vs the 1133 you once had.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I just got my new 09 v-rod I only have 100 miles on her but I am worried about the cooling system. I can be ridding for a few miles and come to a stop and the fans come on at a stop sign. My old 06 v-rod never had the fans come on until it was 100 degrees out and I had been flogging it. I thought the system might have air but the filler neck is full and the bleed screw is full when I pulled it. Do the new bikes fans come on at a lower temp? What the hell did they do to the air box cover? It weighs 10 pounds. They must be sheet metal now. Where did the aluminum go?
The last few day it`s been crazy hot .My fan has been on pretty well on any time I stop.

·
Ride Hard
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes its been hot here too. I forget that my 06 had pipes, k&n, pcIII and mobile-1, not to mention it was broke in. This bike seems to run even leaner than my 06 did new. I did take it easy the first 50 miles and the fans did not seem to come on as much as the last 50 miles, because I rolled on it up to 7k rpm and let it engine brake to seat the rings several times. It was sure nice to feel the power after being on my road king for a year, even if my king has 100 hp it is a heavy boat to get going.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
and if memory serves me correct, it's humid in MI too. Humid air really hinders the cooling capacity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts