Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I got my 07 V-Rod about 5 months ago and it's time for a new tire. Anyone have experience with a car tire on a V-Rod? I've rode a few other bikes with a car tire and loved it. I would love any info yall can give me. I'm trying to find out what size I need. It's an 07 VRSCD. I bought it used with a 180/55 zr18 but the tag on the frame calls for a 240/40 r18. Thanks..

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
The '07D came with 180 mm rears, the '07DX came with 240mm. The frames were the same, wheels and tires weren't. You can do modifications to put any width tire you want on it up to 350-400mm, depending on how much money you want to spend. There's a 240 budget mod for a few hundred (search 240 budget mod); there's a fairly simple 300 kit available from suppliers like www.hogpro.com for a few thousand and the 350-400 setup has been done by some people with totally custom parts (swingarm, wheel, output drive shaft support etc.). As far as putting a car tire on, I can't help you there. Good luck.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I got my 07 V-Rod about 5 months ago and it's time for a new tire. Anyone have experience with a car tire on a V-Rod? I've rode a few other bikes with a car tire and loved it. I would love any info yall can give me. I'm trying to find out what size I need. It's an 07 VRSCD. I bought it used with a 180/55 zr18 but the tag on the frame calls for a 240/40 r18. Thanks..
how would you steer?

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I really didn't expect to get an answer so quick. I found the tire I'm going with ( http://www.amazon.com/Nitto-Neo-Gen-All-Season-Tire/dp/B004QL6PV2 ) someone on another forum used it on their V-Rod, I know some guys that also use that tire on their bikes and they love it. It'll be a little bit before I can get it but I will post pictures when I do.. thanks again!

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
While it would be nice to run a tire that will last for 300,000 miles, it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I like the rear end to stay behind me in the turns, when it comes around beside me the ride becomes unpleasant. It seems like a car tire would do that a lot more often than a motorcycle tire.

Best of luck to you, let us know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Oh hail nah!!

It appears to me after watching that video that your lean angle would be greatly reduced. I would also imagine that the bike would be harder to lean and want to be upright so when coming out of a corner the bike would almost "flop" back center. NO THANKS!!

If you're looking for mileage then look into the stock Michelin Scorchers that the newer bikes are coming with. My 2012 just hit 177xx and I just changed the tires. The front still had enough tread to last another 5K at least, then back could have went another 1k at least. I only changed them since it is raining off and on this week.

my .02

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Also, for Motorcycle tires check out American Motorcycle Tires. I bought my front and rear Avons for $333 shipped...

·
Registered Geezer
758 Posts
Well I never!!

Oh yeah there was that one BSA A10 with the 16" bias ply car tire in the back, 21" front w/o brake and 2" extension on the tubes.

Handling?
I remember watching that front wheel tweek over when it dropped into a turn and then balance back upright when I straightened it back up again.
I can't say the car hoop hurt it at all.

·
Registered
911 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
830 Posts
Looked at using a BF Goodrich drag radial on a 240 rim for a drag bike. Tire was a lot heavier than a motorcycle tire and would rob performance. Ended up with the now unavailable Conti Race Attack.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This was a hot button topic on the adventure touring forum I used to frequent. Not my thing but I can see its value to the guys that are putting in huge miles on the slab. Let's set our feelings aside and be honest, of all the motorcycles to put a car tire on, the v rod is probably the most appropriate.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts