Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any clue to this phantom PROBLEM ,appreciated.
My cooling fans will sometimes turn on ,after, the ignition is off. I know this is normal however the bike was shouldn't have been hot enough at these particular times to warrant the need for the fans.
Now the strange part is the first time this happened was bench night at my buddies house. Was surprised to hear the fans kick on at all on a cooler night, but wasn't worried about it at the time, until one of the guys went outside 10-15 minutes later and told me my bike was still running!
Well i checked the radiator and it was cold to the touch. I then had to turn the ignition on and off to get the fans to stop. So far this has happened 3 times in the last couple of weeks.
????
thanks LYNCHMAN

·
Registered
260 Posts
The relay is going bad. I just had this exact scenario. At some point it will not 'unlatch'.

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Where is the relay located? I ask because a buddy described the same thing happening to him and it ran his battery down. I have a service manual, so don't tell me to buy one. You can tell me to go look it up I guess.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Where is the relay located? I ask because a buddy described the same thing happening to him and it ran his battery down. I have a service manual, so don't tell me to buy one. You can tell me to go look it up I guess.
It's kind of hard to miss. For 2002 to 2006 and the 2007 VRSCR the fan relay is in one of the fuse blocks under the air box cover next to the SYSTEM relay. For 2007 on (except VRSCR) it's in the front fuse block under the upper right side cover near the START relay.

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
Look it up :stilpoke:

I believe it is under the front right side cover

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
screwy fans

This is a 2004 with aerocharger turbo & thundermax auto tune.
Haven't had had a problem in a couple weeks. Just don't want to run into a problem on the road.
The relay makes sense . Anybody have a part no. ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had the exact same problem - quite normal that it runs for maybe 5-10 seconds after turning the ignition off, but one time I parked for lunch, came out an hour later, and the fan was still running! Also killed my battery, so had it towed home until I could go out and buy a battery.

Noticed you're running the Thundermax ECM, which is interesting to me, since when this happened to me, I was also running the TMAX. I was going to put it back to stock ECM anyway, so after this incident, I swapped the stock HD ECM back in and took the TMAX out. To be honest, it hasn't happened since then.

Maybe I'm hasty in blaming the TMAX, could just be the relay like everyone here says (I haven't changed mine yet), but I haven't had the cooling fan run haywire on me since swapping back to stock ECM. *shrug*

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
1130ccmike:

That is why I asked what ECM he was running. My friends bike is running at TMAX and I was wondering if that was the issue. He had it happen once and it did run down his battery. He said when it happens now, that it is when he has turned the bike off and the fan is not running, but then comes on, it will continue to run. If the fan is running before he turns it off, then it operates as normal. That sounds like it maybe the TMAX to me, but what do I know.

·
Registered
260 Posts
this doesn't sound good... cuz i'm running a Tmax as well... and it happened to me again just yesterday. I was standing there as it happened so I was able to stop it. Firing the engine back up and turning it off fixed it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Had the same issue. Went to a friend's house. Went outside about 10 minutes later to move my bike. Fans were still running and the battery didn't have the juice to start the bike. ECM at the time was a T-max.

Only happened once in the 3 month period I had the T-max. Good luck.

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
You're all making me nervous - I have the TMax, but no problems....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts