Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have not confirmed this, but service manager at my local stealership told me that TheMoCo will "order" (via cease & desist letters) dealers to not sell/ship parts and accessories out of their territory.

This is a move to potentially eliminate vendors like Hales, Zanotti, Chicago and other HD shops from "stealing business" from your local shop by offering discounts that most stealerships will not.

My local (Fort Lauderdale) gives me 10% off, + 6% sales tax = 4% discount; (big whoopidy-shit) The stealership I bought my bike from (Petersons of Miami) doesn't give ANY DISCOUNTS on P&A.

Haven't talked to Hales to get a confirmation from them, but this is similar to the move the Aussie HD stealerships made to protect their exorbitant markups (which are even greater than US MSRP), by preventing US based dealers from shipping overseas.

From what I gathered, this is supposed to take effect in 90 days.

If my local stealership wasn't so damn greedy, I wouldn't mind keeping my $$ at home.

Rick

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i ain't so sure they can do that, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Just keep it stock.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I wonder what they mean by territory,maybe the dealer zone?
I really cannot blame the dealers for this,but why would the MoCo be sticking their noses in this business? It shouldn't matter to the MoCo what dealer is moving the parts.Sounds like there are some dealers crying because they don't want to bend a little in trying economical times.
Even at 20% off this is not very much to a dealer that sells on a 100% markup as most do.

·
Dean
775 Posts
Have not confirmed this, but service manager at my local stealership told me that TheMoCo will "order" (via cease & desist letters) dealers to not sell/ship parts and accessories out of their territory.

This is a move to potentially eliminate vendors like Hales, Zanotti, Chicago and other HD shops from "stealing business" from your local shop by offering discounts that most stealerships will not.

My local (Fort Lauderdale) gives me 10% off, + 6% sales tax = 4% discount; (big whoopidy-shit) The stealership I bought my bike from (Petersons of Miami) doesn't give ANY DISCOUNTS on P&A.

Haven't talked to Hales to get a confirmation from them, but this is similar to the move the Aussie HD stealerships made to protect their exorbitant markups (which are even greater than US MSRP), by preventing US based dealers from shipping overseas.

From what I gathered, this is supposed to take effect in 90 days.

If my local stealership wasn't so damn greedy, I wouldn't mind keeping my $$ at home.
Rick
Sounds like I got 90 days to buy my $hit...

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Legally I don't think they can do this. In my opinion no one or company should be able to dictate where I choose to shop, California, chicago or otherwise.

Is this the same dealer that told you if you did not have your service done by then it would void any warranty?

·
'04 1300
3,071 Posts
I wonder what the definition of 'zone' is? I live an hour or so from Hales, but HD's own website offers them as an order online option, and when selected, the prices drop to the Hales discount.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
HD technically has territories. For example, one at territory A cannot advertise or have any functions in territory B. There are guidelines to all distributorships and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if this is true. A damn shame if you ask me but probably a reality. These guidelines are set up to protect their (franchise) assets...

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
I know my dealer cries at the paltry 10% they give me, and it pisses them off I buy from Zanotti. I have offered time and again for them to match prices, but they claim they only markup 30%, which I don't believe for a second. Even National HOG has no discount - they told my guy that dealers were on their own. So, it has to go both ways. I have used HD net to find a part I need in stock somewhere, and then called them to ship it to me. No questions asked. So, I will believe it when I see it, but I am sure plenty of dealers are missing the good old days, when they robbed folks left and right. Like $30K for a vrod! How about 500 bucks for a headlight! Sheeesh! Joe

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally, I think this move by Milwaukee is a crock-o-crap. Some of these more popular mail-order dealers do a HUGE VOLUME and stand to lose some big $$'s themselves if this enforcement action takes place.

OTOH - I'm sure they'll figure out a way around it (or WE WILL).

Example: Buyers "Club" where a forum member near Hales goes on a monthly shopping spree for us...

Rick

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Snap on dealers have zones and it too is very hot debate. I had one dealer have to write a check to another because he sold in his zone.

It sounds like BS business but I can see it happening. I have 4 HD dealerships within 25 mins of my front door. Who's zone is whos? Well one of them writes a check to another each month for a good bit of cash to be in the "zone".

My brother in law was told by one NJ Ford dealer they couldnt order parts for him cause he didnt buy his car there. He wanted new rims for his Mustang. He wondered why they needed the VIN. He wanted to order a new set of rims.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
My local dealer metioned that this might be coming , I got some prices from them and they where a 108.00 higher, even when I figured in the shipping from Zanotti.. I asked then if they could match or even get close and I would keep my money here and they wined and moaned about not having no room in there mark-up.. So I suggested that they contact Harley because if the did not have room to make money with a 20% discount then Zanotti must be buying the parts at a lot better cost than them, cause Im sure there making money or they would not be selling them...

·
Livin the dream
261 Posts
Anti-capitalism= Anti-Americanism.

Didn't this used to be the "Great American Freedom Machine"?
:them:

Its not like there is anyone left out there with the BALLS to stand up and stop it. Not only would it be allowed, they would probably enact a "Fun Tax" on our parts to get even more.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
You guys ought to own a HD and live up here. $ 105.00 for labour and no discount at all, on parts, that are at least 50% higher than yours. Gee I wonder we shop in the US or online? Oh and BTW, when we shop in the US the courier companies charge us 37% brokerage fees on the purchase price.:banghead:

Thank to Samsonite who makes a very nice big expandable suitcase that allows me to bring smaller parts back on the way home from US drag races. :)

·
George
5,411 Posts
+1 on the buyers club

·
Registered
146 Posts
I call BS.... JMHO.
The source of Rick's rumor is a dealer's (hourly rate) employee. Personally, I don't believe anything I hear from HD, their dealers, or the hired help. YMMV

1. There are no sales "territories". (other than HD determining where a NEW franchise can be located).

2. The rumor came from an hourly wage employee who's job it is to NOT give discounts, so he's a little "bitter" about the competition.

3. If HD was planning such an "Illegal strategy", they wouldn't pre-announce it, especially to a local "service manager".

4. Australia is not America.

Until Zanotti's & CHD close shop, I wouldn't worry about the rumor.
OTOH, I might be buying Rick a Beer in the next 90 days...

-Mike

1 - 20 of 45 Posts