Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
H VROD 5
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 VRSCB and when I had the airbox cover off last week I noticed that there is a short (maybe 2-3 inches) rubber tube going from the top of the valve cover (rear) to the bottom of the airbox. I am guessing this is some sort of PVC system for emissions, but it is in bad shape I don't think it is leaking yet, but I am sure it is close to it by the way it looks, it is very deteriorated perhaps from oil vapor. Can anyone help with with a part number and where I can locate on of these? Or do I just need to go to the "stealer"?
Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
I have an '05 VRSCB and when I had the airbox cover off last week I noticed that there is a short (maybe 2-3 inches) rubber tube going from the top of the valve cover (rear) to the bottom of the airbox. I am guessing this is some sort of PVC system for emissions, but it is in bad shape I don't think it is leaking yet, but I am sure it is close to it by the way it looks, it is very deteriorated perhaps from oil vapor. Can anyone help with with a part number and where I can locate on of these? ....
P/N is 29505-05 (item #18 in this figure from Ronnie's HD). This is the rear breather hose (not really a PCV, if that's what you meant, there is no one-way valve). This, along with the front breather hose, connects to a oil vapor condenser can in the air filter box.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Yep these go bad and weep oil all over the cam covers, makes everyone think there is a leak in the covers. These are a dealer item but I have read that others have replaced them with other types of hose. Depending on how long you keep your bike, you will replace them again.

·
H VROD 5
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, my local stealer had the rear one (the one I needed for sure) and the other one they had to order. I will check it tonight and see if they both need to be replaced. The rear one looks easy enough to replace but I think the lower part of the airbox will have to come off to get to the front one. Thanks everyone!

·
(Peter)
488 Posts
They are short and not very flexible and don't hold that well. Use a hose clamp to hold it in place seems to work better than just pressure fitting like my original was. It makes a real mess and scares the crap out of you when you see oil all over the engine. Both times mine vibrated off on long rides and made a huge mess by the time I noticed it.

·
H VROD 5
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are short and not very flexible and don't hold that well. Use a hose clamp to hold it in place seems to work better than just pressure fitting like my original was. It makes a real mess and scares the crap out of you when you see oil all over the engine. Both times mine vibrated off on long rides and made a huge mess by the time I noticed it.
Noted!

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
The rear hose on your 2003 should have 2 worm gear clamps holding it in place. At least according to my 2003 parts catalog.

·
H VROD 5
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Installed the rear hose last night, it was a bugger to get it into the air box. I checked the front one, and it is under the air box, but from the looks of it there is a little bit of blow-by on the bottom near the valve cover from the looks of it, or what I can see peering between the valve cover and air box, I have that one on order so when I get that one I will be replacing it too.

Can I go topless without a tune?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
pull the front breather tube (shell casing) out.

pull the o-ring off of the shell casing and take it to the nearest hardware store or auto parts store and get a dozen or so o-rings of the same size maybe $3 worth (that way you can replace them when they do ware out). and replace the o-ring on the shell casing and reinstall onto the motor. quit giving the stealership your money. that's what this place is all about. helping each other out. another trick for the rear breather tube is to remove it and neatly wrap it with electrical tape and reinstall (just a temporary fix in most cases).

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Can I go topless without a tune?
It's getting a little "off-topic" but in a few words, probably (the ECM will compensate for the small change in manifold air pressure).

Something to consider though; if this mod significantly changed air flow you'd need to re-tune to get the benefit. If the ECM doesn't know that the VE is changed (requires retuning) it won't supply the necessary fuel and so the only gain is extra noise.

·
H VROD 5
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pull the front breather tube (shell casing) out.

pull the o-ring off of the shell casing and take it to the nearest hardware store or auto parts store and get a dozen or so o-rings of the same size maybe $3 worth (that way you can replace them when they do ware out). and replace the o-ring on the shell casing and reinstall onto the motor. quit giving the stealership your money. that's what this place is all about. helping each other out. another trick for the rear breather tube is to remove it and neatly wrap it with electrical tape and reinstall (just a temporary fix in most cases).
I will do that tonight! Thanks! The rear one is good for now.

·
james
601 Posts
its a 12 dollar hose front and back hose is 12 dollars as well . 1.99 for the oring for the bullet shell.usaully replace the back one every 2 years or so and the oring on the bulltet shell. the front hose i am replacing now after six years. doesn't seem to dry rot because its in the air box away from most of the elements.

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
be careful taking the airbox off so you don't rip the throttle body gasket. yep i've done that before...
I always keep a spare. They are good fro about 3-4 removals / replacement.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought the gasket for $2.50 and breather tube for $12.00 from a H.D. stealership
also be careful when u tighten the box back in easy to strip bolts. If that happens an m6 bolt will fix that. Good luck

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Finally got off my lazy butt and did mine this morning before riding. Easy, took 5 minutes for the rear. Now I have to clean all the oil off.:banghead:

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts