Gone to the V8 side
2,102 Posts
I may be riding up with the RBLR, but tis a 07:00 start from Southhampton :O

·
Registered
312 Posts
may see you there. as I will be one of the Marshalls
at Drayton Manor.
just found out I should be up by the campsite ;)
not far from the burger van

·
Gone to the V8 side
2,102 Posts
I will not be making it now.

Last year I mentioned about swingarm knock - http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128650
I took the dust covers off, and can see the swingarm pivot moving in the right hand bush.

HD want £280 to replace the bush.
The part is £20.
So I will be removing the arm and sending it to the local garage to push the bush out and put the new one in.
Also gonna replace the bearing on the left.

That reminds me, I really must order the parts :$

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't believe you have this problem with your bike at 3 years old. Mine is an 05. Surely it should have been sorted under warranty????

Sorry you ain't gonna be there.

·
Gone to the V8 side
2,102 Posts
I can't believe you have this problem with your bike at 3 years old. Mine is an 05. Surely it should have been sorted under warranty????

Sorry you ain't gonna be there.
That is the irony.

The bike had the swingarm resprayed, under warranty, at Dockgate 21.
When I got it back the right hand engine mounts were very noticeably undone, a few weeks later I noticed that the belt was looser than a dangerously loose chain.
I did not notice the clunk in the pivot until some months later when I pre-moted it.

I would not be surprised if I find the bush is missing when I take the swingarm off. :banghead:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dockgate 20 will be shutting the doors soon I have heard.

These are not complicated bikes but why do HD technicians fail to spot faults? I bought 2nd hard but on day 2, I had oil all over the bike as the breather vents were loose. I discovered a couple of months later that 2 of the pistons in each front brake calliper were seized and had been since the day I got it. I fixed both myself. Now why don't I take my bike to HD Plymouth for service?????? :soapbox:

Rant over lol.....

·
Registered
403 Posts
I won't be making it because I will be home in the U S of A. Wish I could, may be around next summer hopefully it will be during the Calne ride out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just me and Myotherworld then :(

I'm in two minds whether to go myself as the weather looks terrible. Arriving wet and sleeping in a tent full of wet gear - nice. I might need a honey to tuck me in and keep me warm :)

Kev

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Where did you get the intel on Dockgate 20?

Would be good to know if this has any substance.

Mac
they have to sell up or close the doors by christmas. i was told thiis by some of the staff the other weekend

·
Gone to the V8 side
2,102 Posts
Alan, If you talk to Rob please wish him good luck.
Maybe he should approach Guildford before the rush :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well made it up there. Saw 4 other Vrods. Talked to one guy who had never heard of this forum. Tried to persuade him to join. Weather was awful friday going up so cancelled the camping and stayed at the Travelodge. Very emotional time at the wall itself. the day was brilliantly organised - pity Afghan Heroes Ride was not as slick as this. Maybe they will learn from their mistakes. Ride up was a strange route, with the road captain managing to keep up in the piss pouring rain all day Friday. Left at 0930. Arrived Tamworth 1900. Route was Exeter, Honiton, Andover via A303, Oxford, Coventry, Tamworth. A couple from Bridgewater Chapter arrived 15 mins after us - dry having left at 1630!!!!! Came back down M5 having sacked the road captain - left 1630 got home 2000. A very worthwhile event and will be going next year.

·
Gone to the V8 side
2,102 Posts
Respect to everyone that braved the weather.

It finally stopped rain here at 14:30, since it started Friday afternoon.

I took the swing arm off and have found the problem.
It is not the bearing or the bush.
The locking ring is missing from the left side, as a result the pivot bar moves left to right.
I made up a temporary washer, to test the solution, and now there is no more knock.

So, tomorrow I am gonna try and cancel the order for the parts, and then go buy a washer from my trusty nut & bolt man.

·
Gone to the V8 side
2,102 Posts
Interesting - has it been missing since new or has a dealership been near it?
I reckon it went missing when Dockgate 21 took the swingarm off for it to be resprayed.

The movement is about 1-1.5mm.
It would also explain why some times it feels like the back wheel moves to the side occasionally when I am riding.

Still, tis a good excuse to clean up the areas that i can usually not clean, plus respray the Supertrapps and heat shields.

I also noticed that I have rub marks on the fuel tank, from the belt.
Probably caused when Dockgate gave me the bike back with the belt looser than a dangerously loose chain.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts