Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting the SE RT. Just wondering if I would be able to tune the bike myself, (I am very coachable) or even if I did get the RT would I have to go to a pro to get the most out of my bike. According to the 04 Descript. You can record info from a run and view it on the laptop and make adjustments. Is this really doable??? I am currently running with V-modded SE's with K&N filter and HD download for SE pipes. Does any one have a map for this set-up? Should I spend the money on a dyno tune???

I am leaning toward the RT instead of the power commander, seems like it is much more versaltile. any suggestions are welcomed

Thanks JOHN

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Yes you would be abke to tune yourself. I did. It worked.
Yes a pro will do better than us if he has a dyno and knows the RT.
Datalogging. It is doable, fairly reproducible and the coolest to play with.
There are maps for your setup, right here in the forum.
You should dyno tune anyway. Get the best map and go from there.
The Race Tuner is better in my opinion especially if you are VERY coachable, must read the 123 page book, very easy to read if you understand EFI firsthand. For most situations I'd have to agree the PCIII is a very good choice with excellent results too.

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
Definitely, go for the RT. Yes you can make runs and feel your way thru the RPM's, make some adjustments, and try another run to see how it feels. The logger works, but get a bag to put your laptop into...

Get the RT, run one of the files on this site, and save the dynoing for later when you find the right tech. Start with Mark's Vmod SE file:

105gy001-a0-mjw020.mt2 look in post #2 on this link

I believe this matches your setup.

·
Pat's Fan
363 Posts
Hey Orest,
I knew we talked a while back about finding a good tuner in the area.........How did you make out with looking? I havnt really looked much but jsut thought of it when i read your post.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Orest, I think Mark is using a 28T pulley, Mine is stock. After I order I'll ask around and see if someone has the same set-up and dialed in a good map....If you know of a real good tuner up in NH let me know. I am always up that way....John

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
The 28T or 30T pulley is insignificant to the way that the F/A and ignition map is built. It won't affect your engine performance. The important parts are those that effect the engine's pumping of air. Top, Filter, V-Stacks, Spark plugs, and exhaust.

You probably know that the pulley size is not part of the map. Instead it is a software switch that you flip while uploading any and all maps.

Some people prefer the 30T pulley. I like my 28. Have fun with your RT!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts