Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday the RT arrived, I read the manual and will do the exhaust change today -- the RT will be used to flash the SE file to the ECU.

I got the RT instead of the dealer flash because it was only $200 more, but in the near future my hope is that it will deliver much more utility: dyno runs; tweaking the maps; data logging; 28 tooth (haven't made that purchase yet)... I think that having it for future extras will continue bringing joy (as well as a continued learning experience)!

Please comment on my thinking: I have SE slip-on's arriving, I thought that I would put them on as stock (with the ECU flash) to see how they sound and perform. Meanwhile, I would send the stock mufflers out for V-Mod. I think that I can swap between them on the same flash. After I pick the setup that I like best, I'll probably find a dyno and an experienced tuner, take my RT along and do the final tweaks.

I stopped at the dealer to get a service manual (figured it would be good to have on the shelf) but they are out. I'll try the dealer 30 miles further down the road. Incase I can't find one today, can some please describe to me where the RT 4-pin connector gets plugged into on the V-Rod? Thanks

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Nice Choice

You can't go wrong in my oppinion with the race tuner verses dealer flash or even PCRIII.

Until you find the manual or your dealer can get one here is a .pdf format version of the 03 service manual

http://www.v-rodforums.com/pdf/2003-HD-VRSCA-Manual.zip

For the race tuner I think the electronic manual might be more in line. Of course we aim to please so here is the electronic manual in .pdf

http://www.v-rodforums.com/pdf/2002-Electrical-ebay.zip

the service manual is almost 200mb while the electronic is around 80mb

Max

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Excellent choice. You will find that the flexibility will pay off many times over.

The 4 pin connector is behind the left front louvered cover.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Just so there's no confusion, no hardware is installed with the Race Tuner, you only have to connect the cable to the bike using the connector under the left louvered cover. You don't have to remove the computer or even move it.

You simply remove one 6mm hex bolt to release the cover and remove the rubber insert on the connector, plug in the cable that comes with the Race Tuner and follow the directions. (save ithe rubber insert, it goes back in when you're done)

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn't find it in the Service Manual...

...but the Electrical Diag Manual did show all the details! Thanks Max!! Much easier then the PC3 plug in procedure. With the RT, it was: do the deed re-cap the connector and put the louvered cover back on.

While I got you all in this conversation, the software manual does not seem to mention that the RT records the ECM serial number, or that any other authorization/validation procedure is used. Does this mean that with my RT, I can plug into my wife's '02 Road King Classic (has EFI also) and tweak her system too? Or is my RT forever married to my V-Rod?

The other question that comes to mind is, to data log a 30 minute run, do I need to bundgy cord my laptop onto the bike with the unit plugged in and ride around with the computer?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Re: I couldn't find it in the Service Manual...

Via VRSCA said:
...While I got you all in this conversation, the software manual does not seem to mention that the RT records the ECM serial number, or that any other authorization/validation procedure is used. Does this mean that with my RT, I can plug into my wife's '02 Road King Classic (has EFI also) and tweak her system too? Or is my RT forever married to my V-Rod?
The interface "marries" to the ECM the first time you program the ECM and prevents you from programming another ECM. The data logging program will work with any Delphi EFI Harley, it doesn't care about the ECM serial number.

The other question that comes to mind is, to data log a 30 minute run, do I need to bundgy cord my laptop onto the bike with the unit plugged in and ride around with the computer?
Yes, you have to plug in the computer and start the data logging recorder then find someplace to secure the computer when you go for a ride (unless you've got a really long serial cable :slap2:)

BTW, I'm going to try it on my Father In-Laws RCC just to be sure. I want to see what message pops up, it may give me some insight into interface code :diablo:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
My Buddy uses a Palm pilot.I think it's custom unit they were desighning on the chassie dyno the other day.They are going to sell a data logging programmer that uses it!:eek:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
With the power in the new PDA's something like an iPAQ running Windows should be a no brainer for the RT software to be ported to. It would be great to be able to use that rather than a full blown laptop.

Anything you hear about in that regard keep me posted.

Mark

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I'LL THINK ABOUT IT!;)

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Palm would be very convienient too...

I use a Palm Tungsten in my daily life, but I would buy an iPaq if there was an interface.

Palm's downside is that they are still limiting the RAM to 32 Meg, where the iPaq (I believe) can be pumped up with much more. Although the difference might be moot because the Palm OS and apps run with smaller code overhead for the processor to hit the RAM with. Windows Pocket PC is supposedly inefficient and therefore needs the fat RAM.

In the meantime, I will find one of my old laptops to configure for Datalogging.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts