Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where to get a RT interface cable, or if there's a wiring diagram for it somewhere?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
The cable from the hardware lock to the ECM is HD only. The serial cable from the computer to the hardware lock is standard 9 pin serial.

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hardware lock

mjw -- I take it that the HD cable has a hardware lock to prevent software piracy?

B

·
Registered
454 Posts
banglenot said:
mjw -- I take it that the HD cable has a hardware lock to prevent software piracy?

B
When used for the first time to program it will marry your ECM and will be unusable with any other bike (or ECM).

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think the only component that would be locked is the race tuner itself. If you have the proper connector to meet with the connector on the motorcycle, you should be able to create your own cable. (IE if you lost or broke your cable, you can probably splice one as long as the connector is good).

But I don't think there is a way to get around buying your own unique race tuner.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
The program doesn't lock, it can talk to any Delphi bike. The hardware lock has non volatile memory that the program writes with your ECM's Serial number the first time you download a program. When you go into program the ECM mode it compares that to the bike it's connected to and if they don't match the program won't download. So it's "read anything, write one".

The hardware lock is also a signal converter changing the RS-232 signal to something that's compatible with the serial bus on the bike. You need the lock to convert the signals AND store the lock key.

I don't see any way to make a cable to do what the lock does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts