Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Love it, cruising down the interstate at 75 to 80, 5th gear, just pop the throttle and hang on. At 7K RPM you should be bumping 135 by the speedo. I tried it because breakin said not to go over 7K in any gear; had to check. Backed off 'cause my feet were coming off the pegs.:angeldev:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Tideman12 said:
It's hard to just change the way you ride after you've done it one way for thousands and thousands of miles. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who is going through or has gone through this transition. I love my DX, it's just a change from the norm. A good change.
Same here but im used to a 13500 Redline.......just hit the 550 mile mark on the OD and been runnin her hard since about 300 miles........

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
I like to keep it around 4500 RPM so that I have it right in the power band, feels nice there. It actually runs better up there, it loves it. You can't blow one of these things up if you keep it stock.

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
Run it hard!

Besides not hurting it, it is a hell of a lot of FUN!

·
Banned
654 Posts
Tideman12 said:
It's hard to just change the way you ride after you've done it one way for thousands and thousands of miles. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who is going through or has gone through this transition. I love my DX, it's just a change from the norm. A good change.
tideman i was having the same problem.

i have been on airheads all my life and went to the baker six speed in my ultra.

when i got the vrod and went to sturgis last year it seemed the engine was just screaming. but lke they say here it didnt like to run below 4000 rpm.

got to meet danii at Gunners and asked him about it and you read his post.

that put my fears to rest on the rpms at highway speeds. the ride home from sturgis was alot more fun. just need a way to quite down the pipes a little at highway crusie speeds.

·
Indy
48 Posts
Whenever I'm on a stretch of pavement and my brain is telling me to reach for a gear that isn't there, it's thereputic to just peg it. I generally run out of road before I run out of nerve(not always). Then I can settle in at 5500 and be comfortable for a while. Love running in heavy traffic in 4th at around 6500 picking your way through the pack. They feel you comming when your running a CFR.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I never shift into 5th unless i am consistently over 65 mph. Here on the twisties of WV its basically a 3 speed.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Revs for that speed are normal.

The speeds and revs you spoke of are normal, and since top gear in all trannys is 1:1 (excepting overdrive units) most bikes will have the same set up with stock sprockets/pulleys. And, as others have pointed out, your red line is about 9K, so you are well in the comfort zone for your engine. Vrsc whatevers, have a more refined design, and operate very differently from the high torque thumpy big twins. so let it stretch its legs a bit, thats where its happiest.

·
Registered
546 Posts
lowering revs in a given gear

Tideman12 said:
I've been laid up, just had back surgery (very interested in getting anything to make it easier on my back), so I only have about 1000 miles on it so far. It seems like it needs a 6th gear or something. I wish I could make the difference between 4th and 5th gear greater. It doesn't seem like much changes in between those 2 gears. I was trying to see if I could do anything with my power commander to reduce the RPMs in 5th gear, but I don't really know what I'm doing :(
The only way to keep the speed, and lower revs is to change one of the final drive pulleys. but remember that your engine isnt as torqey as the other big twinns, so you will lose off line acceleration, and have to massage the clutch on take off as well.

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
I like cruising around 5k-5.5k. Just seems like where my engine likes to be!

·
Sinner
105 Posts
Ajax99NFG said:
I have just under 9000 miles on my bike, and I have never been in 5th gear, what happens in 5th, I usually hang in 3rd, as I cruise about 75 to 80 in 3rd ...
Why I never, ever, under any circumstance, buy anything used. Holy crap dude, you give a whole new meaning to....DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!

Tex:guns

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
You can drop a few rpms if you go to the 30 tooth gear on the front. You will loose your out of the hole punch, but it will cruise on the highway better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
tideman,don't worry about the revs in fact if u do not run this thing fairly hard it will not break in or seat the rings proper and begin to use oil also they seem to need hard driving at times or they can develop a ping at low rpm's under moderate to hard acceleration.:moped:

·
custom title user
35 Posts
:blahblah: :soapbox: :D

ok, now that everyone has said their piece? wont someone please post the correct part number for the 30t pulley. i ride my dx 50 miles one way to work. the speed limit is 70 so traffic is doin 80/85, the bike revs too high for me to be comforatable at that speed for that distance. my buddies "a" has the 30t stock and i like the way his bike runs on the highway. i am not drag racing this bike so the small drop in off the line performance is not going to bother me even a little bit.

·
turbo wannabe
192 Posts
Ajax99NFG said:
My mileage hasn't been the greatest I generally get about 70, maybe 80 miles to a gallon, the vibration isn't bad, I take it I'm the odd one out here?
70 or 80 miles to a gallon, man I need you to tune my bike.

·
O5' CVO - $12,000
707 Posts
1 Gallon or Full Tank?

Ajax99NFG said:
My mileage hasn't been the greatest I generally get about 70, maybe 80 miles to a gallon, the vibration isn't bad, I take it I'm the odd one out here?
I beleive that you may mean 80 miles per tank fill-up. Most here are claiming around 120 miles per full tank.

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
JimL said:
5k at 80mph. Feels good. Sounds good. Don't think there's a problem.
Thats me also, then pin it.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts