Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running about 4500-4600 going 75 MPH. Is this about the same as everyone else? It seems to be very high. I can't imagine an engine lasting very long under such stress.

·
Friend of Max.
21,715 Posts
Stress? That's the low-mid part of the powerband. :stilpoke:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I say stress because I'm used to riding a Wide Glide. Hearing the engine run that hard just feels strange to me. It doesn't get that great of gas mileage either.

·
Friend of Max.
21,715 Posts
How many miles do you have on it?

If it is a concern, you can switch to a 30 tooth front pulley (Get the international one and you don't have to change the flange) You'll need to calibrate your speedo too.

You will loose a little accelleration though.

RJ

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been laid up, just had back surgery (very interested in getting anything to make it easier on my back), so I only have about 1000 miles on it so far. It seems like it needs a 6th gear or something. I wish I could make the difference between 4th and 5th gear greater. It doesn't seem like much changes in between those 2 gears. I was trying to see if I could do anything with my power commander to reduce the RPMs in 5th gear, but I don't really know what I'm doing :(

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
the engine redlines at 9000..you're used to engines designed to run at lower rpms. the revolution was designed to run at high rpms..you can feel the difference, it labors below 4000. i don't run below 4000 in any gear. just takes some getting used to..rev away brother, your rod loves it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
65 mph = 4000 rpm
Got about 38 mpg doing 70 mph on the freeway.
Durring development they ran this thing hard. REALLY HARD!!! The storys are amazing from the people that developed the bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, as long as it is normal, then I won't worry about it. I've been riding for about 15 years and it just seems like I need to shift again. Oh well, I guess I will just have to get used to it. Hopefully the engine will last as long as a regular Harley engine and not run itself to death.

·
Ajax99nfg
326 Posts
this interesting that someone posted this quesion, as I was thinking about this similiar subject this morning, I have just under 9000 miles on my bike, and I have never been in 5th gear, what happens in 5th, I usually hang in 3rd, as I cruise about 75 to 80 in 3rd with my rpm's about 7 maybe 7500, I was under the impression the bike performs best in the higher rpm's. I have dropped it in 4th but it just seems to kinda become a sleeper unless I really want to get on it and push 3 digits.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Ajax99NFG said:
this interesting that someone posted this quesion, as I was thinking about this similiar subject this morning, I have just under 9000 miles on my bike, and I have never been in 5th gear, what happens in 5th, I usually hang in 3rd, as I cruise about 75 to 80 in 3rd with my rpm's about 7 maybe 7500, I was under the impression the bike performs best in the higher rpm's. I have dropped it in 4th but it just seems to kinda become a sleeper unless I really want to get on it and push 3 digits.
Wow, what kind of gas mileage are you getting?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ajax99NFG said:
Holy crap dude! I hope you are kidding. That kind of constant RPMs would vibrate my arms off.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
48,000 miles so far. 30 tooth. But much of that is at 80 mph, which is close to 5k rpm. I've never used a drop of oil. I figure the engine should be good for another 50K. Its a high revving motor. Get used to it. Shees - it'll do 100 in second.

·
NSFW
1,977 Posts
Tideman12,

I know what you mean. My last bike was a Virago XV1000. For every 100 rpm that you revved it up you lost 100 mm of nerves in your arms. :paper:

This engine loves the revs! The higher you rev, the smoother it runs! It's awesome! :thumb:

Get on it!

Doc

·
Ajax99nfg
326 Posts
My mileage hasn't been the greatest I generally get about 70, maybe 80 miles to a gallon, the vibration isn't bad, I take it I'm the odd one out here?

·
SB-XLII or Bust...
1,684 Posts
Tideman12 said:
I can usually get 130-140 miles to a tank.
You're riding it like an air-cooled bike then... When I ride with my buds on their soft-tails, that's the kind of mileage I get. I just take it easy and cruise between 3-4k.

When I ride normally, I hang out between 4-5k and get about 120/tank. If I romp on it a bit, I get 110-120/tank depending on how throttle happy I am.

Ride it like you want to, but know that you aren't using the bike to the range it's capable of...

As for the longevity of these bikes - the engine will probably last a LOT longer than any air-cooled Harley. The clearances/specs are a lot tighter on these engines than any other HD on the road.

·
Carbon Yeti
4,598 Posts
They are also water cooled. You don't have the heating problems the aircooleds have. My other bike will get up to 70mpg, but it only has half the engine and half the weight. It also redlines at 7k and won't do it in 5th unless you are going down hill.
Back to the V-rod, I don't know many cruisers that blast through 60mph in first. Got to love the V-twin Racing Street Custom. It helps if you know the history of the V-rods. The engine is the VR1000 redesigned. Porsche did most of the redesign. Crank on it an' let her rip. I usally skip 2nd, 3rd and 4th to let it idle down Bell Rd in 5th at 45mph. I also drop to which ever gear I need when I need it. Just don't try accelerating in 5th from 45mph.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's hard to just change the way you ride after you've done it one way for thousands and thousands of miles. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who is going through or has gone through this transition. I love my DX, it's just a change from the norm. A good change.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts