Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does eeverybody's V-Rod run at High RPM's? Mine going 45 MPH in 5th gear is doing 3000 rpm and at 55 it's close to 4000 RPM. Is this normal and if so, do they sell anything that woul dbring this down?

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
go with it. this is the way these bike are made to run high rpm. you could run 6k all day and it would not miss a beat

·
Registered
731 Posts
I spend most my time at 4500-6000. I generally don't spend much time below 4000 as it seems like it lugs. These bikes are not your Dads Harley.

Phatass

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Registered abUser
299 Posts
Definitely you should look to keep it above 3500 at all times. I generally like 4500-5000 when cruising since it gives me plenty of play both ways.

... and if new, definitely do not follow the Harley Davidson dealer break in instructions letter that they give you with your new bike purchase. I called them about it, they said it's a standard letter they give to all their customers, I say 'but it's not a standard Evo engine', sales guy says yeah sorry, you should definitely not follow that letter... :chair:

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
That is just a little bit higher than mine. I run 47 at 3000, 62 at 4000rpm, 70 at 4500.

I think that the previous owner put a 26 tooth sprocket in place of the stock 28 on yours (8% lower).

BTW, when you are at 4500 rpm take note of your speed. Double it for your top speed (9000 rpm).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do they make a 30 tooth? LOL I will check it out. I love this bike, but man that high rpm stuff not only makes me feel like the thing is going to blow, but the gas millage is very bad and really could be better if the rpmscouldbe brought down.

Thanks Doc

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
ya 30 tooth came out on 02 and 03 only. one always pop up in the for sale section here but if your bike if 04 and newer you would have to buy a different flange to bolt on the pulley. but she is not going to blow they are made to run high RPMs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
... I love this bike, but man that high rpm stuff not only makes me feel like the thing is going to blow, but the gas millage is very bad and really could be better if the rpmscouldbe brought down.

Thanks Doc
I hope that feeling is intuitive and not physical. Mine's as smooth as silk at any RPMs I've had it at. And yeah, I get even worse gas mileage than Harley said they get. But it is a high performance factory engine. I'm hoping when I switch to synthetic oil it will improve.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
If you ride like an old fogey, you'll get 40mpg. If you ride it like a V-Rodder, be happy with anything over 30.

A change of oil will not help...

A change to the 30 tooth will help the cruising rpm, but at the end of the day, you'll still be riding 80 and getting in the 30s.

Want gas mileage, buy an aircooled.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
It does take a little getting used to...especially if you're used to the air cooled HD's. I'm getting the hang of it...and it really does seem to open up at the higher range. There's a reason that RPM gauge goes to 9 before you get to red...lol.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
... and if new, definitely do not follow the Harley Davidson dealer break in instructions letter that they give you with your new bike purchase. I called them about it, they said it's a standard letter they give to all their customers, I say 'but it's not a standard Evo engine', sales guy says yeah sorry, you should definitely not follow that letter... :chair:
HI GUYS, SORRY TO BE A LITTLE :eek:fftopic: BUT IS THIS THE SAME CASE WITH THE GEAR SHIFTING? WHILE CRUISING, IT FEELS THE SAME AS A REGULAR AIR COOLED HARLEY (0-10 1ST GEAR, 20-30 2ND, ETC) BUT IF YOU PULL THE THROTTLE "RACING-STYLE", I CAN GET 90 MPH AND STILL BE ON 3RD GEAR... I GUESS THIS IS NORMAL SINCE THIS ENGINE REVS A HELL FASTER THAN A REGULAR EVO, BUT JUST A THOUGHT... :lamer:

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
Do they make a 30 tooth? LOL I will check it out. I love this bike, but man that high rpm stuff not only makes me feel like the thing is going to blow, but the gas millage is very bad and really could be better if the rpmscouldbe brought down.

Thanks Doc
check how many tooth your pulley is. if you have a 26T on your bike and you would like a 30T,we could work out a deal and il trade you my 30T and flange for (if it is a 26T) the 26.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
ya 30 tooth came out on 02 and 03 only. one always pop up in the for sale section here but if your bike if 04 and newer you would have to buy a different flange to bolt on the pulley. but she is not going to blow they are made to run high RPMs.
30T front sprockets are still used (and have always been used) on the European delivery bikes.

You don’t need to change flanges to use a 30T front sprocket on a VRSCSE bike (or any VRSC for that matter). The flange change is only required for the ’02 and ’03 VRSC that want to use a 28T front sprocket.

On an ‘05 VRSCSE all you need is the 40380-04 30T front sprocket. On an ’06 VRSCSE2 with the 240 tire all you need is the 40657-06B 30T sprocket. No flange change is required for either of these.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts