Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what rpm range do you guys normally run in. I just got my vrscaw and I normally shift at 3000- 4000 rpm. Do you guys normally run it hard to cruising speed or just smooth and slow?
Thanks for any input

·
Skunked 2003 VRSCA
92 Posts
Normal shift for mis is also 3000-4000. If I need to move I shift at 5000-6000 but that quickly brings me to 55mph in 2nd! Normal cruising I like 2500-3000. Anything under 2500-3000 just feels wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
I usually run between the 3K-4K range around the city.. shifting just above 4K when just cruising. I like 3rd gear for the city roads around hear because I can go from 35-50MPH within a good RPM range.. I wouldn't shift to 4th though unless I was going to be at around 60MPH for a longer time.. Oh the highway.. open it up and just go Go GO! :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just ask because when cruisin with my air cooled buddys it seems like they are real low in the RPM but when I'm there the bike has no power and it chuggs.

·
Bored
768 Posts
Slipknotnos said:
I just ask because when cruisin with my air cooled buddys it seems like they are real low in the RPM but when I'm there the bike has no power and it chuggs.
Two different styles of engines. Don't lug the Revo.

·
Feels like flying
195 Posts
I found the 1250 liked to run above 3500. I might shift below 4000 if I am just cruising on flat, straight roads. If I am on hilly and twisty roads, I like to use a higher rpm (4000-5500) for accelerating and engine braking.

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
I shift at 9,000 rpms and cruise at 130!!!!! :hidesbeh:

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
4000 is a healthy cruise RPM and I would not cruise under 3k ever as you run the risk of messing the engine up. The V-Rod ain't your Daddy's old air cooled Harley that makes power down low. The V makes the power in the revs and that is why many air heads that take the V for a test ride only to come back unimpressed with the bikes power....they don't know where the power band is and try to ride it like a Road King.

I cruise on backroads at a steady 50-60mph at 3k, but as soon as I come to a hill I downshift a couple gears to get the revs up. I have heard of no cases of a Revo motor being harmed from high RPM's aside one at the Rally that was NoS equipped.

Rev it up! That's what it was designed to do!

Gary

·
I am become death
450 Posts
streetrodder06 said:
I shift at 9,000 rpms and cruise at 130!!!!! :hidesbeh:

:them:

·
Dallas, TX
1,244 Posts
v-rod255 said:
Two different styles of engines. Don't lug the Revo.
Exactly. This engine loves to scream. Pretend, instead of having five gears, that you have three gears plus two overdrives. You don't really get to enjoy the V-Rod engine unless you bang it off the rev limiter.

·
Yo
604 Posts
Jim J said:
Exactly. This engine loves to scream. Pretend, instead of having five gears, that you have three gears plus two overdrives. You don't really get to enjoy the V-Rod engine unless you bang it off the rev limiter.
:them: :them: Exacto mundo

·
brett
9,338 Posts
does it do any damage if you bang it up to the rev limiter,or make you look stupid when it starts the popping sound when the rev limiter cuts in,

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Falconfire said:
I found the 1250 liked to run above 3500. I might shift below 4000 if I am just cruising on flat, straight roads. If I am on hilly and twisty roads, I like to use a higher rpm (4000-5500) for accelerating and engine braking.
I'm with Falconfire on this one! 4 grand and up... is where the power band is.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
bwds said:
ok still looking for 2nd opion on if hitting the rev limiter constantly will do any damage
No it will not. It just halts the rev's from getting higher. If you don ever hit your rev limiter, you are not having 100% fun this bike offers!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Getting used to the V-Rod was an interesting experience, having ridden that last 30K on a Honda 1100cc Aero... At first I found myself trying to find the power in the lower rpm range, but while smooth and reliable I didn't start enjoying the V-Rod completely until I started using the higher rpm range... ...and I've bumped the rev limiter about daily with no harm...

3K- 4k is where a nice ride is, between 5k and 8.5k is where the fun is.
The V-Rod is like no other twin I've ever ridden, and sometimes I have the feeling it thinks it's an Indy open wheel racer when I play chicken with the throttle... The V-Rod can be what ever you ask it to be in the end, from the mild side to a real "scram jet"...

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
I rarely cruise below 4 grand, unless i am intentionally trying to be quiet @ 4K and above you have instant throttle response and good engine braking for quick slow downs etc, Ride the v-rod like it was meant to be ridden, not like the air cooled bikes it was built as a revver not a lugger. My buddies are usually in 3rd or 4th when I hit second, when we are taking off. I usually shift around 5-6K unless putzing or gettin it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts