Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First if this is better suited in a different place let me know since it ant a vrod question but a general bike question.

When I was riding the 1981 suzuki gs550 I bought to get me buy till feb and I get my vrod I noticed it seem to want to go up to 5k or so rpms and wanted to make sure it was ok.

I was trying to keep it under 4k but when I hit 35 in 5th gear it sits at about 4500 to 5500 depending on how much throttle I give it.

Is there a general rule of thumb for how high my rpms should be and a min max for general riding? I noticed it redlines at 9500 and my dad said under 6000 and 5000 would be better

I have been shifting from gear to gear when it hits 3,000 to 4,000 which seems to put the next gear at about 2000

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL I would expect that from a vrod rider. Figure I will baby it alitte till it gets some road time. I know it has been sitting for alittle time.

hey got a anothert anyone recommend a cheap saddle bag setup? A friend recommend a universal kit that sits over the seat in place of findign something that will bolt to the old bike
Ride it like you stole it I say... Rev limiter every gear.....

·
Flat Broke
285 Posts
I agree with MY100. 35 in 5th would be lugging. Only time I hit 4th or 5th is on the freeway. Considering you can hit 80 in 2nd, around town is 3rd tops with RPMS around 4K.Bike doesnt seem right under 3K

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
The bike def isnt happy under 3k. during slow traffic riding i wont shift below 5k. and if i want to accelerate i will end up downshifting to get the revs up cause she is happier above 5k anyway.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
I dont know what experience your dad has but I would bypass what he said if I were you. I know I will NEVER ride a bike at 35 in 5th gear!! Are you crazy? Good way to get into a accident. Not being able to power your way out of harms way! IS this your 1st bike? ... zuki? How long have you been riding? More rpms the more "in power" you are. Less rpms = less power.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
The bike def isnt happy under 3k. during slow traffic riding i wont shift below 5k. and if i want to accelerate i will end up downshifting to get the revs up cause she is happier above 5k anyway.
Doesn't sound like either Revo I had. Maybe you need a tune?

From 1K to red line this bike is happy and willing and able. The thing I appreciate most about this design IS it's ability to "putt" or get nasty at any RPM or speed.

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
if you are just "taking it easy", shift at 5k and settle in at a gear that puts you at or slightly below 4k. lugging the engine (5th gear at 35mph) is not good for the engine. the shifting guideline in the owners manual is way off, IMO.

the fun on the vrod begins above 5k.

PS. I'm running stock.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is on the suzuki I bought yesterday the vrod comes in fev
if you are just "taking it easy", shift at 5k and settle in at a gear that puts you at or slightly below 4k. lugging the engine (5th gear at 35mph) is not good for the engine. the shifting guideline in the owners manual is way off, IMO.

the fun on the vrod begins above 5k.

PS. I'm running stock.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
there's no reason you should be in 5th gear at 35mph on a Zuki 500

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I was trying to keep it under 4k but when I hit 35 in 5th gear it sits at about 4500 to 5500 depending on how much throttle I give it.
If you are doing 35mph in 5th gear and you are showing 45 to 5500 rpms,something aint right.
You should be cruising at around 80mph at these rpm's.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
I bounced off the rev limiter this morning on the way into work. hahaha

·
Registered
248 Posts
the only thing 5th gear at 35mph is suited for would be a damn 18 wheeler

1 - 14 of 14 Posts