Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 2005 screamin eagle and I would like to know how many rpm the tachometer should mark in neutral, after heating the engine and riding the motorcycle for more than 30 minutes the rpm fluctuates between 1200 and 1800 constantly, it is normal so much variation?
Thank you

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
1200 (+-) 50 rpm's I think. You have a problem. Clean up your IAC (Idle Air Control). It is probably all gummed up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What’s cold idle? Warm should be 1100 to 1200, how many miles? And yes you can clean the throttle plate and remove and clean the I.a.c. If the throttle is dirty. But just a little more info should get the reason or a list of things to ck or listen for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers, I have been looking for the location of the IAC, in internet, but I can't find any information yet, any clue where is located and if is possible to removed with simple tools.
The odometer have 6500 miles, I believe is not much, and for clean the throttle plate can I used a throttle plate cleaner or is better another way.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
...I have been looking for the location of the IAC, in internet, but I can't find any information yet, any clue where is located and if is possible to removed with simple tools.
The odometer have 6500 miles, I believe is not much, and for clean the throttle plate can I used a throttle plate cleaner or is better another way.....
IAC location (as well as function and R&R procedure) are explained in the HD SM (99501-05) and EDM (99499-05). I wouldn't attempt this cleaning without these HD service manuals.

Tools aren't special but the screws holding the IAC are held in with thread lock compound and need to be heated (with a hot air gun, not a flame) before removal. (Excess heat on IAC will damage it so restrict heating to screw thread regions.)

Throttle plate cleaner can be used but Chevron Techron works better but be careful with this (it's gasoline with 400 PPM polyetheramine added).

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Depending on your comfort level here's a few things to try. If your cold start idle is in the 1400 rpm range, I doubt you port needs cleaning but look anyway. If it hunts up and down in rpm hot, most likely it will cold also. If you cold start rpm is no higher then the hot or even less, port blockage is possible. In the center between the two throttle bodies where the breather bolt is, there's a squarish section. Down in that, you can see a hole. This is where the pintle of the IAC goes into to allow more or less air for rpm control. It's possible the IAC itself is dinked but I suspect something else , especially if cold idle is past normal hot idle rpms . Low miles but non the less, inspect both throttle shafts and make sure one isn't cracked or broken. If either blade is moving in there the IAC is always chasing different air amounts entering the tb. If that checks out, the IAC can be bypassed to see how the engine runs with it out of the loop. This will throw a code so know how to clear it later. Use the star tensioning wheel on the throttle to apply enough pressure to be firm not not locking it up. Turn key on to set the IAC step and then unplug the IAC motor and add just a touch of throttle opening if needed. You likely won't need to if the IAC has set the correct steps for the temp rpm request. Once the engine starts back the throttle down to produce about 1000-1200 rpms. If the engine will still hunt wildly up and down for rpm, it's not the IAC since it isn't moving unplugged but could be a fueling issue causing this or an actual intake leak, like in the tb boots. Process of elimination to determine which. Ill running from either of these drives the IAC nuts trying to control the surging, even if it's a good IAC. If the engine will stay in the set throttle position rpm and only hunt 50-100 +/-, then the IAC could very well be the problem. Heed the warnings on screw removal or you could snap one off in the housing. That gets ugly, so if you snap a screw off, you don't know me.
Don't forget to loosen the throttle lock when done testing as well as plug the IAC back in and clear the fault code.
Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mr Toronto gave you good info on E.F.I. system adjustment biggest thing is are you comfortable removing the air box cause at that point you can see everything clear enough. As he said about the throttle lock at the grip to lock rpm if you need to set base rpm with IAC disconnected you need to ck throttle cable tension before you begin,anotherwords there’s two cables at the grip one opens and one closes throttle so there needs to be a small amount of slack at the grip the grip can move just a tiny bit without throttle plate movement. If it was me I would ck that first because the cables that come up to the handlebars have a three prong separator plastic guide clip when there new and if the thing is broken or missing the cable adjustments probably tight and then you get a surge in rpm as the iac tries to idle at spec. So ck for the separator on the cables usually down from the bar by the fake tank or cover right side and ck for small amount of movement on grip that does not move the throttle if the clips missing the cables probably need adjusted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, Thank you very much guys, is a lot of information, I really appreciate that, I will start inspecting the throttles and the hole where the IAC pintle goes into and probably I will clean the system with Chevron Techron and move on and see the result.
I let you know guys how work this.
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
could be a vacuum leak on the TB boots as well.. tighten the clamps under the Throttle body and run the engine..spray some brake cleaner on the boots under the TB,if you have a crack in it or vacuum leak the RPM will change instantly..make sure the engine is not too hot before you do this!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
could be a vacuum leak on the TB boots as well.. tighten the clamps under the Throttle body and run the engine..spray some brake cleaner on the boots under the TB,if you have a crack in it or vacuum leak the RPM will change instantly..make sure the engine is not too hot before you do this!
Thanks for the info, I will check the TB boots too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts