Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay last week started having misfires at idle and idle became rough.
Idle would flux up and down to. Get on the throttle and no probs. It was not a constant problem. Changed plugs checked all connections. Ran fine for 30 min then started again. This week idle is rough and bike starts to slug when throttle is opened but when you rev it runs great. Unhooked PC3 and no change so i know its not the controller. Any sugggestions?

SSG Kittredge

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Sounds like your IAC in the throttle body is stuck or failed. Has it thrown any codes?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
try some top engine cleaner like seafoam or the gm stuff.be careful not to overdo it .have you had the valve lash checked?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

Bikes running real rough now at idle and stalls alot and now hitches at 3000 to 4000 rpm but clears up when opened up and still pulls like heck till redline in all gears is the IAC that big black cyl in the air box or is in on the throttle body? Called the Cape fear HD and asked how much for pulling codes and they refused to do it. Would only take a appointment and charge me by the hour. It saddens me that such a great brand has such blank blank dealerships supporting it.

·
Grabbin' a Handfull
196 Posts
Is there any way you could check to see if you have any water in your gas tank? Or maybe some bad fuel. I would check the throttle body boots under the filter baseplate to see if one has slipped or has become loose.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boots and water

Boots are all tight and no dry rot. Have had 2 tanks of gas through it since the start of the problem and used 2 diff gas stations. Bike is garaged so no rain on it in last 4 weeks.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
The IAC valve is in that little rectangular space right beside the big plastic thing. The IAC motor is on the outside of the throttle body under the bottom air box.

You can pull your own dam codes. Search for a how-to on this forum.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Code

Pulled Code Pn 32376 - 06b trying to look it up now lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sheesh

Bike is running like crap backfirering stalling missing and the ECM dose not pick up any codes just spits out a PN for its self. The IAC is working fine so it is not that and i'm stumped atm and will pour gas over it and light it before i take it to the HD dealer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

Looked all grounds and cleaned them they all looked good. Pulled rear coil out again and pulled boot off coil found oil from blow valves had found its way in there maybe that could cause rough idle missfire and not give a code? Bike seems ti idle now after i cleaned boot ill ride to work and let ya all know.

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I would hope it would throw a code for a rear cylinder misfire. At least you found the problem, fixed it, and learned exactly what your HD dealer thinks of you.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Had a friend who had rough idle at light among other sputtering. Reached under and found is idle set screw backed all the way out.

Worth a check....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

Well it was the rear cyl. There was oil inside the boot on the coil side. The oil came from the rear breather hose that had dry rotted and was spewing oil on the coil and boot. I did not see any oil on the outside so when i changed plugs I did not sperate the boot from the coil. Bike ran all weekend great even in a thunderstorm on way home. The dealer wants 12 bucks for a boot but was sold out so i used electric tap to wrap it for a temp fix. Ever wonder where all the oil these thing use goes? I thought HD fixed oil breather spewage years ago lmao.

SSG Kitt

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
the breather tube is common, glad you fixed it. i would recommend this fellow http://www.performancecyclesnc.com/VRod.html he is local to you and has probably forgot more about vrods than the dealer near you knows. tell him the smartass in statesville sent you, he'll know what you mean...... ;-)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol

Oh ya i've been in touch with him and started a wish list while i'm deployed over the winter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts