Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see Rod Squad offers a chain conversion kit that retains the cush drive. Anyone have any feedback on this?
John

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
No but I like it - Cush drive should absolutely be retained. I've put a 30t H-D OEM front pulley on the R Model I have and honestly, I don't think it can get any better than that. A chain requires proper chain guides, rub blocks on the top of the swing arm and guides prior to the rear sprocket to do it right. Not to mention spraying the chain with chain wax and cleaning it off of the wheels, belt/chain guards etc. Noisy chains are better on race bikes. The belt has a quieter, cleaner, less abrasive way of transferring more power to the rear wheel, and it's well over a 95% efficiency rate. Try that with a chain. Never thought I'd say that I got thousands of miles racing M/C's with chains off road but that's the reality I've got from riding the street. Not to mention how long the chain is on a V Rod. Advantage ? Below 0 for the street if you ask me. 1/8, 1/4 Mile Racing it ? We can talk.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pushing the belts ability. Using a supercharger. Trying to head off certain failures

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Well the 240+ back tire is the deal breaker. It creates the need for a narrow belt, and that in turn creates the potential need for a chain when you add a S/C. Actually I don't think you would need a chain unless you were really racing it often and pushing the envelope. Everyday roll on S/C power ? Even the narrow belt can handle it. But to each their own - a chain however creates a whole 'nother bike. Unless you've had a belt failure I wouldn't focus on it - a chain is a just a genuine PIA in day to day operations.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just being curious. Keeping the cush drive is, in my view, a necessity.
No, not broken any belts yet. Limited to 6psi boost.
Actually the issue now is throttle management / traction........
There's a VERY fine line there

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Yes, true but amazingly the belt does a great job of transferring power and even at 6 Psi boost so if you're not dumping the clutch at a race track honestly I don't see the advantage of a chain. I was going to change my R Model over to a chain to get rid of the 3.5 Lb fwd pulley and the 6.5 Lb rear pulley but I've come to appreciate the drive belts advantages. Unless you demonstrate the absolute need for a chain, I wouldn't do it, IMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts