Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered,
Has anyone here installed the whole instrument cluster from a Roadglide on their Road Rod? My dealer in Somerset, PA did this a few years ago. I believe they used the FLTR handlebars and everything as well, but it's been a while so I can't be sure. Weird though...because the tach would show a redline at around 5000 and top out at 8000. I DO remember the whole set-up giving it more of the FLTR look. Like I said, just wondering.

Also...and don't shoot the messenger...they TOLD me that they connected the factory Harley cruise control up to the bike, complete with the handlebar switches, etc.

I DID actually see the cluster set-up, unsure about the cruise control.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Don't care for the stock inst. head?There are other inst. opt's.I would say that having a tach that doesn't run as high as yer motor would look kinda goofy to the casual observer,but if everyone built the same bikes we'd all be bored at rally's,poker runs etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In considering the conversion I have looked at a few Road Rods and noticed the big gap from gauges to fairing inner that is covered on the RG by the gauges being forward of the bars. This gap allows the CV mount to be seen totally.

It would be an idea to mount the RG style gauges, with a 9 grand tach, and maybe the upper fork covers as well to fill out the gap.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In considering the conversion I have looked at a few Road Rods and noticed the big gap from gauges to fairing inner that is covered on the RG by the gauges being forward of the bars. This gap allows the CV mount to be seen totally.

It would be an idea to mount the RG style gauges, with a 9 grand tach, and maybe the upper fork covers as well to fill out the gap.
Exactly...it DOES look kind of cool. I almost bought the bike, but wasn't sure I wanted to go that way years ago...now I'm building my own. Go figure. The next time I see the owner of Highland HD, I'll ask him about the tach, but I'm almost positive it was the stock FLTR unit.

They've built two Road Rods, but for them, it's really not a huge deal since they have SOOOO many take-off parts laying around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts