Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to ride to New York and back and was planning on taking my 08 V Rod (night rod). My Harley friends tell me I am smoking crack.
I would like to put a sissy bar on back that a bag can attach to, and a windshield. I took the stock headlight and cowling off and replaced with a simple headlight.
Any one have suggestions for a decent windshield and sissy bar?

·
Registered
129 Posts
when are u making this trip ?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I want to ride to New York and back and was planning on taking my 08 V Rod (night rod). My Harley friends tell me I am smoking crack.
I would like to put a sissy bar on back that a bag can attach to, and a windshield. I took the stock headlight and cowling off and replaced with a simple headlight.
Any one have suggestions for a decent windshield and sissy bar?
Why do would they tell you that you are smoking crack? Can you not tell the difference from cigarettes and they are just letting you know the difference?
Friends? Some of the friends I've met in the past several years are the guys that go on the thousand mile and longer trips with me.Though they have to bring their own stash of crack.That shit costs way to much for me,let alone supporting someone elses habit.:broke:

The seat might be the only thing that could cause any remorse on a long trip if you are on the short side.The 08 seat is much better than the old originals,but for me,the Harley sold reduced reach seat did the trick.It's more narrow in the thigh area and,my left wrist doesn't hurt anymore when I lean on it for a long time.The seat was only $130 at a dealer.I swapped the cover from the factory seat over to the rr seat.

I don't like a windshield on a V-Rod,Mainly because they are ugly.I wear a ff helmet on my V-Rods and have ridden thousand mile trips like this without a problem.Carry a spare clear shield if you use the helmet for night riding.

You'll need a fender base plate to attach the sissy bar.Harley sells them and they look good as long as you use the short one made from tubing,then remove it after the trip.The cast mini bar looks the best,but it's short for a bag.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ride and enjoy the ride. you can ride it as far as you want. if your Harley friends doubt it then they probably are the main guys posted in the parking lot and local bike night that never actually "RIDE". coming from sport bikes. i actually purchased the VRSCF for long trips. but prior to that i took many 500+ mile trips on my sportbikes. no problem. i was enjoying myself and the ride so much that nothing else matters. so tell your friends to stay at starbucks or the local wannabe cool spot while you are actually enjoying your ride. if you want to ride to new york, then jump on your bike and start riding. the only thing holding you back is you.i personally find the VRSC line to be one of the most comfortable bikes i have ever ridden. true its not as comfortable as a street glide(which i actually like very much) but its a bike thats in its own category. good luck

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
May I suggest H-D detachable windscreen (full size). Clips on in seconds and equally removable when you prefer to go without.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Get a quick release windshield. Yes, they look kinda ugly to most people but the difference on a long distance ride is HUGE.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
You will soon discover anyone you deem a "Harley Friend" is an idiot.

·
GIT UR DONE...later
990 Posts
With the right seat & bar combo, this bike will take you, comfortably, wherever you want to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have considered a windshield but I have become accustomed to resting my upper body on cushion of air tha develops at about 60 mph

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Hanzo is The Man. Not only a Really nice guy but no Pussy shite ugly windshield on his road trip to Alaska like so many cry babies 'Claim" is a Must just to ride to the corner.'Wah Wah I cant stand a breeze on my chest, I have no upper body strength I ned a chicken shite windshield wah wah wah". You could all take a lesson from Hanzo.

With the right seat & bar combo, this bike will take you, comfortably, wherever you want to go.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Our friend Hanzo above is being very modeset. He recently did a trip to Alaska on his V. Your trip from DC to NY is about the same distance as when I used to ride (weekly) from Pittsburgh to Harrisburg PA. 240 miles isn't a long trip in the least.
For me, the stock seat was fine for the first 5k miles I put on the the bike. After that it just became a tad uncomfortable for more that 2hrs of saddle time. Upgraded to the Sundowner and love it.
Your Harley "friends" don't own a VRSC, never owned a VRSC, never rode a VRSC, so what the faulk do they know in regards to what a VRSC can or can not do?

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
just shy of 80k on a stock seat, the original stock seat at that. 240 miles is a Sunday drive around here.

·
GIT UR DONE...later
990 Posts
42 straight days in the sundowner seat. The threads in the seat started to wear off. Not 1 saddle sore/baboon butt moment.

OH & thanx for the applause. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I'll see you gentlemen next summer.

Attachments

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
This is a fact.:notworth:
I put many thousands of miles on my 03 sitting on the stock seat.My body changed,so I customized a Badlander to fit me.Now I feel more comfortable than I did on the stocker.If the stock seat is good w you,then so be it.I do know there is a big difference from the 03 and 07 stock seats.Mainly in the width.
I'm usually good for an hour to an hour or so before I need a stop.

I use a small bag I bought at a regular retail store for less than $20.I've learned how to load the pillion with the bag,an extra set of boots and plenty of tools,and a tire inflation kit.With this,a cell phone cash and a couple of CC's,I'm prepared for just about anything other than a sinus infection.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is a fact.:notworth:
I put many thousands of miles on my 03 sitting on the stock seat.My body changed,so I customized a Badlander to fit me.Now I feel more comfortable than I did on the stocker.If the stock seat is good w you,then so be it.I do know there is a big difference from the 03 and 07 stock seats.Mainly in the width.
I'm usually good for an hour to an hour or so before I need a stop.

I use a small bag I bought at a regular retail store for less than $20.I've learned how to load the pillion with the bag,an extra set of boots and plenty of tools,and a tire inflation kit.With this,a cell phone cash and a couple of CC's,I'm prepared for just about anything other than a sinus infection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Road trip and wannabes

Thanks to all for the advice and thoughts. Laughed my @ss off with the "starbucks, cool places" quote. I recently took off early from work to go on a quick 120 mile ride with one of these friends. When we met up he rode 5 miles to the "Cascade bar"....I thought we were going to the Cascade locks 60 miles away!
plan on this summer taking the trip. My son in New Zealand is coming back for the summer and road trip is in order.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is me in the middle of a weekend trip (at Mackinac Bridge) around Lake Michigan this summer. Did a shorter loop (810 miles) by going from Holland, MI to Milwaukee via high speed ferry and then clockwise back to Holland. Avoided Chicago and Gary traffic. The VRod was very comfortable - glad I had the windshield - and the sissy bar pack, etc. was more than enough storage for the trip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
just shy of 80k on a stock seat, the original stock seat at that. 240 miles is a Sunday drive around here.
This is a pic of me halfway through a 3000 mile road trip around Spain Portugal and France,you'll notice I have a screen fitted, thats because we dont all have the pleasure of riding around Southern California,we get rain and lots of shit weather, and having reached 64 and been riding since 1964 dont have to prove how hard I am to no one.

Attachments

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
This is a pic of me halfway through a 3000 mile road trip around Spain Portugal and France,you'll notice I have a screen fitted, thats because we dont all have the pleasure of riding around Southern California,we get rain and lots of shit weather, and having reached 64 and been riding since 1964 dont have to prove how hard I am to no one.
I dont think Hanzo came through CA on his way to Alaska from New England. Maybe it didn't rain on him I guess the whole time.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts