·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Dkeven, plan on MWTIV. Would love to see that bike! Joe

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pics of bracket on bike?

Can anyone post a picture of the bracket on the tree from the fairing for me please? Mine seems to move quite a bit and I wonder if my adjustment bolt is wacky...

·
Life's Circle
6,040 Posts
that's insane! Nice bike.

·
2003 Chrome Road Rod
28 Posts
Not sure how you want the pic of the bracket, but on mine the bracket that the airbox cover prongs go through was loose and if you look down from there the plate it attaches to has allen screws in it that were loose also. the set screw that goes against the fork tube was also not touching anything so the whole thing bounced in the wind when I got it. tightening everything up and loctite on most of the fasteners has fixed all of that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, I have the bolt on the front bracket and it would seem that it will drill into the frame and cause damage. I put a nut on there so that the bolt won't dig but I dunno if it is the best way. I am considering removing the fairing and going over it all to see if there is a better way to engineer so was looking for pictures of what everyone else had and see if I am missing anything to start with.

I didn't think about Loctite, THANKS for that!

Yeah, mine bounced when I got it so I put the nut on the bolt and now it bangs over bumps - likely due to it getting loose from no Loctite.

·
2003 Chrome Road Rod
28 Posts
I put a small washer I made with aluminum rod by milling one side to the fork diameter and putting a little countersink on the other side to center the set screw. I attached it with double faced tape and tightened the setscrew on it pretty snug. (was worried about damage there also) On mine the biggest problem seemed to be the six allen head bolts joining the bracket from the top by the airbox to the big bracket below were loose. No bouncing at all now even over bumps. Would make sure that set screw is tight enough on yours. Had to readjust headlights after all that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Starting on mine. Going to go from the back forward. Ordering the Corbin beetlebags and the V-Mod trunk first. Going to keep the mid controls. Then slowly acquire a inner and outer fairing before bringing it to Randy at Cycle Visions to complete the front.

·
Hostage of the MoCo
890 Posts
I've been kicking around the idea of starting a Road Rod project for a while. I'm comfortable doing the full conversion, except the electrical work for the fairing. I'd prefer not to pony up the shop costs if I can.

Let's say, for argument's sake, that I don't know $hit about $hit when it comes to electrical work, for wiring up the headlight, gauges and stereo. Is it something that your average dumbazz hand-tools garage mechanic can accomplish?

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
wiring up your $hit

When I bought my Stero system a Pioneer AVN3 from Best Buy they wired it up complete,gauges speaker,even a cig.lighter all for $ 79.00 bucks,but it was a pertty pricee system a touch scrren with GPS,CD,DVD,Ipod,even my gauges come over the screen.
I've been kicking around the idea of starting a Road Rod project for a while. I'm comfortable doing the full conversion, except the electrical work for the fairing. I'd prefer not to pony up the shop costs if I can.

Let's say, for argument's sake, that I don't know $hit about $hit when it comes to electrical work, for wiring up the headlight, gauges and stereo. Is it something that your average dumbazz hand-tools garage mechanic can accomplish?

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts

DIY. Nothing complicated at all. Take your time, and hook up one circuit at a time. You will do fine. Some folks do it in stages. Mount everything, get the lights to work, and enjoy. feel like music? Hook up the radio, speakers and antenna. want instuments? Hook them up one at a time. GPS, XM, power port, and on and on. Biggest challenge is to take it all back apart during riding season. Not hard, just time consuming. Go for it, fester! Joe

·
Dtown's Mobile Tech.
901 Posts

The wiring is very simple if you can operate a soldering iron and a heat gun. I strongly recommend that you go find what they call dual layer heat shrink tube, it has a hot glue inside that provides a waterproof barrier on anything that you solder. Now if you really want to get fancy they you can go out and buy all the deutch pins and tools but they cost a few pennies

·
Registered
6 Posts
Road Glide fairing turbulence

I've been looking into this mod for some time now. I have HD windshields from large to small and hate them all. No matter how I adjust them I take a pounding somewhere at speed. So what is the group's experience with turbulence using the Road Glide fairing? I prefer a short shield I would not have to look through. I'm 5'10".

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
No problems - works great! They make all sizes of windshields. If you decide to go for it, I have a couple of used spares. While I was experimenting, I bought 5 or 6 of them. I have a Cee Bailey I like, and a clearview I got from fusiongrind I look forward to trying. I can even smoke while riding! I love this thing - I laugh at rain, and it extends my riding season a month! Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Joe. I've seen some discussion on fairing year model compatibility. I have a 05 VRSCA. Is there a specific model year (or range) Road Glide fairing I should consider?

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Mine is an 05. CV says to use a 03. I know others who bought brand new 08. I don't think there is much difference from 02 and up. I got mine here in the classified for 75 bucks, but it needed paint and minor work. Joseph3dogs got one the same color as his D, so was able to skip that step. His D-Tour is blue. I know others had black bikes, and got them from the factory in black, or got them used. If you buy used parts, you can save a bundle. I doubt I have 2K in my whole conversion. jbrayls has a whole bike for sale. If your bike is your avatar, all you need is the brackets, fairing parts, and can do the instruments next year. Get comfortable with the fairing, then spend the big money on radio, gauges, GPS, etc. You will love it, and ride more. I do! Joe

41 - 60 of 239 Posts