Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...wondering if you can shed some light on my Road Rod questions. I am VERY close to doing maybe the unthinkable...at least to some people. I am thinking about selling my 2009 FLHTC to purchase a low mileage 2008-2010 VRSCAW (for the 1250 and larger tank) in order to build a Road Rod. I plan to get the Harley parts new for 20% off and some of the Cycle Vision stuff I can get a lot cheaper from some of their dealers. So with the radio, switches, paint, etc. I will be looking at around $7000 over the cost of the VRod I purchase. Before I do this...

How do they handle?

What RPM's do you find yourself running like in top gear at 65 mph? Just wonder, cause I've had a couple people tell me that VRods don't cruise well at low RPM's...2500 or so.

Do you scrape the floor boards a lot?

Is it a good all-weather ride? I am in PA and usually only miss a few weeks out of the year. I guess the larger fender would be a good move for road spray in the rain?

Most of the bikes I'm looking at have under 5000 miles and LOOK great. Anything to worry about in general?

If anyone has made the switch like this, I'd like to hear what you think. I think there's a guy here who has an Ultra and a Road Rod? For me, a lower mount would be nice...and yes, I've lowered the FL, but didn't like how it handled so I put it back to stock.

Thanks,
Russ

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Handles great. 7K? Closer to 3. great all weather ride. I had FL's for years - this is way smoother, faster, more reliable. Nothing scrapes. PM with specific questions. See my gallery. BTW, a supercharger adds a bit of zip. Joe

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Handles great. 7K? Closer to 3. great all weather ride. I had FL's for years - this is way smoother, faster, more reliable. Nothing scrapes. PM with specific questions. See my gallery. BTW, a supercharger adds a bit of zip. Joe
LOL! Thanks for the reply. Heck, I'm looking at close to $1000 for just the radio/switches and close to another grand for the paint!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a D which would be similar to an AW (except the wide tire). The steering and in particular the low speed turning is a little slow. The highway is great. You're about 3K at 50, so highway speeds are not a problem (remember that the engine revs to 9K, so it's geared appropriately). It's nearly 4K at 65. Fine in the rain, though you get a fair amount of spray with the stock fenders. None of the overheating that the new air-cooled bikes suffer from in low speed stop & go.

·
Life's Circle
6,040 Posts
This may be trivial to you but I had been eyeing that project for over a year and one thing I really wish I had was a black frame to bring the look of all it together Joe's works so well b/c his frame and white paint just look great together....

Not a question you asked but my $0.02 nonetheless

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Road gluide setup

I have the road gluide setup I'd part with,including the fat fender,and a kick ass pioneer avac N3 stero,gps,dvd,and ipod ready,all the brackets,ect.
Custom plated gold over chrome with real flames.More pics.in my gallery.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Road gluide setup

I have the road gluide setup I'd part with,including the fat fender,and a kick ass pioneer avic N3 stero,gps,dvd ipod,and sat radio ready,large retrackable touch screen with weather shield,you can google avic n3 for more info. The lower brackets I used are the road gluide lower fairing mounts instead of the cycle vision brackets, mine mount on the engine guard instead of the frame,and also can be used for hiway pegs when the fairing isn't installed.also the front turn signals are installed in the head light tinted bezel.
Custom plated gold over chrome with real flames,and art work.Pictures in my gallery,this set was signed by Willie G in 06.
Also if you remove the fairing and fat fender and install the extra
sports fender you have a hole differant look,very nice for just cruising around town.Two sets for the price of one.also include signal mirrors if you like.
I'll also include a custom alum.case that is foam lined I fabricated for storage,along with the chrome engine guard.
Please note this Road Gluide fairing and saddle bag set up was
installed on my 2005 vrsc B using a 240 wide tire setup,so the bag
brackets may require some tweaking if your running a 180 tire.
You'll be hard pressed to find a sharper road gluide setup around,
and was used for aprox. 30 days back in 2006 Roge

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Thanks, Melissa! It is still a work in progress. I think you should do it!
Don't waste a grand on a radio. @ 85, you can't hear it! If I could do it over, I would go Sat radio, and good ear buds. Joe

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
I have seen his stuff - all top quality. I you want a ready to roll kit, see Bad Attitude! Joe

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Thanks, Melissa! It is still a work in progress. I think you should do it!
Don't waste a grand on a radio. @ 85, you can't hear it! If I could do it over, I would go Sat radio, and good ear buds. Joe
:them: I agree with Joe Melissa, you should come up here and get one. :moped:

·
Life's Circle
6,040 Posts
Killing me Pat.....seriously.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have an 08 road rod with RG fairing and HD bags.I got it this spring and sold the FLHT that I customised and rode for 15 years.5000mi later I still can't wipe the grin off my face when I ride it.Look's great,rides great.Is it a perfect tourer?No.But is there any perfect harley?I have 0 major complaint's.My biggest issue is lack of 6th gear.You will be turning 4500rpm at 70-75mph.This is not a prob with a bike that red's at 9000,in fact it stays in the power band at that rpm and the 5th gear accel is great!Can you say 70 to 100 in the time it takes to pass a cage?As captjam says,hearing the radio on the hwy in traffic is a prob.But on a 2 laner at 60 65 or in town it's nice.Yur $ yur choice.All in all I am a happy camper with my switch.If you get an 07-08 and like voiciferous pipes I have a Bassani 2-1 that will fit with a RR kit for sale cheap.Made 117hp with PC.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for the replies so far. I owned a 2006 Road Glide and don't remember having problems hearing the radio. Could it be a Road Rod thing...or better yet, the type of exhaust you choose...or are you guys talking strictly wind noise?

Something that kind of sparked my interest is the guy who used stock Road Glide bracket for the fairing and attached them to the Vrod engine guard? Is that correct? Does everything bolt right up if you do it that way?

As for the cruising in top gear...yes...this was a concern of mine. I mean...I really like 6th grear on the FL at 80mph, but you still have to drop a gear if you want things to happen fast. I just hope that the VRod isn't buzzy at higher rpms. I had a 2002 Heritage with the 88B that I thought was kind of buzzy. I like the feel of the "A" motors much more.

One more question (for now)
Can you put the cast front wheel from a 2007 on a 2008-2010 AW? I would imagine that IF you can, you'd have to use the 2007 rotors too? I know that with my Low Rider, laced wheel rotors where different than cast wheel rotors.

Well, my 2009 FLHTC is on ebay now and will go off soon. If all goes well and it sells, I'll be calling a few people who have 2008-2009 VRSCAW's. What I should have done is put in my ebay ad that I would be willing to trade for one plus cash. We'll see what happens.

Thanks again,
Russ

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Pat,
I happen to have the issue of Bagger featuring your bike...really nice! I was wondering...did the aftermarket 5 gallon+ tank get in the way of any part of the Cycle Visions kit? Passenger pegs? Saddlebag mounts?

I wonder if the older VRods with the 180 rears actually handle better than the newer models with the 240's.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Hey Pat,
I happen to have the issue of Bagger featuring your bike...really nice! I was wondering...did the aftermarket 5 gallon+ tank get in the way of any part of the Cycle Visions kit? Passenger pegs? Saddlebag mounts?

I wonder if the older VRods with the 180 rears actually handle better than the newer models with the 240's.
Thanks.

I've experienced no issues at all with bikes I've installed the Rick's tanks on. I have a custom, turbo 2004 B model with a 240 on it and it works just fine.

No issues with the Bagger either. Cycle Visions passenger pegs mount on the swingarm pivots so they're well out of the way.

I really like the 240 or 260 on some of my bikes but the 180 for me just seems so much lighter, nimble and easier to maneuver. FWIW, installing a 240 after a 180 took 10 HP from the turbo bike on the dyno with the extra weight. This I don't like.

The Bagger from the magazine is currently getting a beautiful, 13" custom made Swan Composites rotor and a 6 piston chrome Hawg Halter front caliper. This'll lighten the front end some and the combination of the new 6 piston caliper and bigger diameter rotor will hopefully give me some good braking as well.

I'll post up some pictures once it's done. As I think of things this bike constantly evolves. :broke:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Pat!

Man, if I could post a trade plus cash deal here I would. I tried, but I guess you need a certain number of posts or something.

Russ

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just stop me when I've asked too many questions, but I just don't want to buy the wrong platform, yet I want to keep as many options open as I can.

Is it true that you can't use a mid-mount control bike for the conversion? I'm so use to other Harley models and being able to buy forward control kits for them, but I've heard that on the VRods, the frames are entirely different.

I've heard that you sit up higher on a Night Rod Special than you do on a VRSCAW. Is that true, or are the bars the only difference? If they are, is it possible to mount AW bars on a Night Rod Special without buying longer cables and lines?

If I had to say one thing (and only one thing) I don't like about the VRSCAW's 2008-2010 it would be the laced wheel up front. I really like tubless tires on a touring bike. I like to carry plugs and a pump on trips.

Thanks,
Russ

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Just stop me when I've asked too many questions, but I just don't want to buy the wrong platform, yet I want to keep as many options open as I can.

Is it true that you can't use a mid-mount control bike for the conversion? I'm so use to other Harley models and being able to buy forward control kits for them, but I've heard that on the VRods, the frames are entirely different.

I've heard that you sit up higher on a Night Rod Special than you do on a VRSCAW. Is that true, or are the bars the only difference? If they are, is it possible to mount AW bars on a Night Rod Special without buying longer cables and lines?

If I had to say one thing (and only one thing) I don't like about the VRSCAW's 2008-2010 it would be the laced wheel up front. I really like tubless tires on a touring bike. I like to carry plugs and a pump on trips.

Thanks,
Russ
CPTJAM who posted earlier in this thread has a mid mount bike as a Bagger. Lower frame rails and foot controls can be changed to go either way, forwards to mids or mids to forwards.

In the Bagger section here there's a couple of extremely nice Night Rod Special Bagger conversions. One that comes to mind on a DX is owned by a fellow Forum member named sc2whls4me.

I went with bars from a VRSCR on my turbo B model because I wanted to be leaning further forward at speed and not sitting so upright. Handlebars are very easily changed to suit what you're looking for in a riding stance.

It's also easy to find a wheel here in the classifieds to match the front up with a slotted wheel like the rear if you went with an AW.

My advice, is to find the cheapest bike that you can and go to town on it. Some of the older models now are in the 8-9 thousand dollar range. Use the money you save on a good used bike for mods to make it your own, once you get it.

I live for the whole creative process.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
pm sewerat. he has a complete road rod for sale. it is a fun project! joe

1 - 20 of 45 Posts