Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
if it is just minor road rash,cuts, and scrapes, clean it with saline or distilled water and antibactrial soap. alcohol wipes or a q-tip with alcohol on it to help with cleaning the area. iodine can be used. use an antibactrial oinment. just not for a long time. honey works well do to its antibactrial and healing properties, used by the egyptians for just about everything. for pain advil, asprain, alive, tylonal works fine. do not use quick clot or other cloting agents. it will burn the skin and will have to be scrubed out in order to treat properly. coco butter does wonders for scareing and healing. used it on all my tats. they healed quick and with out pain. if you have pucture wound that is not a sucking chest wound and need some thing to stop the bleeding while you wait for an ambulance, a tampoon works greats.
now if you are injured really bad seek medical attention at an er. and do as your told to do by the doc for treatment and care. go back if what they told your isnt working.
there is a lot of good info here. if you want to look for more wound care check galls.com or other medical supply stores online. you can usally get what you need there.
i am an emt and combat medic and have used alot of these things and tips while on duty and off.
here is a funny thing for you... depending on the er and medics, morphine is useless. you get more pain relief from two advil than you would get with 6mg of morphine. dont belive me ask your doctor.

·
Registered
167 Posts
ahh ,weve all done it ,im still sporting a nice scar on my chin after washing out the front wheel on my trail-bike(xr250) at a stop sign .jacket was still on the chair were i left it and my helmet was under my arm and my gloves?tucked inside my helmet.I was only aged 17 ,so know better now .two years ago while out and about on my triumph scrambler 900. came round a blind corner to find a car upside down blocking the road after rolling ,I hit the brakes as hard as i dared and put it down as i ran out of road and slid a metre or two onto the gravel.this time ,gloves ,boots ,jacket and pants and my ,fullface,not a scratch on me ,footpeg and shifter on the trumpy tho.

·
Dazed & Confused
11 Posts
I've read a lot of good info here about treating injuries. How about preventing the injuries? Maybe I've missed it, but I can't find people talking about various jackets and pants. What's commonly worn? Has anyone bought anything that did or didn't help. Leather vs. Textile? Armor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been down a few times, some bad, some not. Always had full leathers and full face helmet in the accidents which is odd because I only wear them about half the time. Worst was a 90 mph launch off a Buell, but never had any hospital trips, broken bones (just stressed joints), or road rash of any kind.

Anyone that has been down knows it goes like this....

1. Day of wreck, hey this wasn't so bad I am a bit sore, but other then that I feel Ok

2. Day after, where the phuck did all this pain, swelling and soreness coming from?

3. Day after that If you are lucky enough to be able to piss on your own, this simple task is even painful and you wish you were dead.

4. Day after that depending on severity of wreck you are starting over the hump of pain and it tapers off for days after.

I was told by some racers that when they wreck they drink as much vinegar as they can to help with the soreness. The day of my last wreck and the day after I soaked as often as possible in the tub with Epson salt and drank a half a bottle of vinegar both days (put some orange drink flavor in it, was told lemonade but still.......yuck). Just these two things and some IBprophen really helped with the soreness and got me back on my feet faster compared to previous times.

1-4 is sooooo true. Holy cow day 3 SUCKS

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You put on your Helmet, your Gloves, Jacket, Safety Glasses & Riding boots on... but you forget Half of your body!
And your regular jeans Shred on the Pavement going just about any speed!
So why not Protect yourself with Kevlar Enhanced Riding Jeans?

Ours are the only ones that are Fully Lined with DuPont Kevlar!
Levi Cut Inspired Quality Denim no one would know Your Wearing Kevlar Jeans!
They come in a Pre-wash Blue and a Black/Blue that slowly fades from Black to Blue after dozens of washes.

Now on Sale $99.99 for sizes in Stock until Christmas!
Just in time to Save you some Money and some Skin!

www.KevlarRidingJeans.com ImageUploadedByMO Free1413744582.206615.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hey brother
I have not read all the replies as i am.sure they are good. In my experience the best way to deal with it is to go to a doctors office and habe them clean it out. They can decide if u need a check up or a prescription. The last thing u want is for it to be infected and worse than it needed tobe.

Spending a little in front end can save u from more misery and expense later.

Get better. I have been down myself with broken.bones and major.skin rash. I.always went to see the doctor which i think mnimized the agony, scarring, and other problems.

Take care and ride safe!

·
Registered
16 Posts
one thing i learned after i crashed my Ducati last year, while gear is great for preventing rash, it does nothing for broken bones. i ended up with 15 or so but no rash. mending broken bones is so much better if there is no rash to deal with. conclusion, WEAR GEAR!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hello Comity and All.
Thanks for the welcome.

Dang I just gave a jug of Kerosene away to the guy who bought my Marauder.
For cleaning the chain.
No more question about wearing my chaps tomorrow.

Buying a 2006 NightRod with 9k on it for $5,000 tomorrow.
Excellent condition. Gonna need tires.
Owner is a Pilot. Keeps his gear
well maintained.

He's Flying down to get me and I'm Riding it about
70 miles home. Nice offer.
Figure I'll try some 2nd gear starts and get used to
the clutch. Figure it must be like my VZ800 on steroids.
Psyched!
Steve M

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,425 Posts
I've only had two crashes..first one was in 1979. I was going up a grade and rounding a curve at the same time when the kick stand on my 1948 pan head dug into the road,pushing me to the other side,hitting the curb and being ejected from the bike. I woke up three days later is the ICU with a broken arm,poison ivy and minus my left kidney. When the bike struck the curb the handlebars (drag bars) gouged into my left side ripping the kidney from its arteries and destroying it.
The second crash was in 2006 when a [email protected](*& woman turned left in front of me and I hit her doing 40mph. ejecting me from my 2005 VTX1300 giving me a double compound fracture of my left leg requiring pins and screws and rods and plates and some plastic surgery.

As a young kid I did have one or two road rash incidences on a Rupp Roadster I had...but MOMMY took care of me! :))))

'Crewzr

81 - 92 of 92 Posts