Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Plate and screws + reconstructive surgery + some road rash + cuncussion and nerve damage + physical therapy to learn how to walk again+ 110k medical bill = irresponsible rider. Just because you ride with your buddy's in a group so other drivers see you, doesn't mean the buddy's you ride with won't hit you.

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
subscribe

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
Chicks dig scars. Tuff it out is all I have to say. The pain normally gets worse right before it starts getting better.

Sent from my EVO 4g

Attachments

·
ride 'em hard & wet!
37 Posts
Here's one that will make the doctors cringe -- and I know I'll hear hell for even mentioning it...

Years ago I went for a good, long slide. Kneecaps showing, severe road-rash on my palms and forearms -- I landed on my front-side in a prone position and just slid to a stop, no rollin' & tumblin' -- with quite a bit of asphalt tar & stones embedded in the newly exposed meat. Got a ride home and had my wife call my big brother (don't need doctors, that's what big brothers are for!) and he came right over.

He brought along a jar of kerosene. Turns out it's an old farmers' trick we had always used on injured horses & farm animals. Nasty as it sounds, he simply washed the wounds with the kerosene. Completely cool & painless, and it just melted all the tar and road grime right away. Once everything was cleaned up, I soaked for a while in the bathtub. Afterwards, we went ahead with the conventional ointments and bandaging, but the kerosene spared me having to go to the ER to have a nurse scrub out the raw meat with a toothbrush and iodine, which I wouldn't wish on anyone!
I have heard of kerosine use before.. I would hope it wasn't contaminated. I was told by the doctor to use "tit" balm", used for cows udders, 40 years ago. It worked pretty well in allowing the skin to grow back.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
:them:

I have heard great things about Draggin Jeans. I just picked up a pair of HD Kevlar reinforced jeans for $59 - good insurance I think. That and a leather jacket - I love my skin and fear pain too much :hidesbeh:
No other Kevlar Jean is Fully Lined Front and Back like. www.KevlarRidingJeans.com

They're light, comfortable, fit like Levi 501's and you would never know they were Kevlar lined!

Blue or Black

GR

·
Registered
509 Posts
All the above, will keep me in good gloves, padded jackets and leathers/knee guards. You can still get some road rash but it helps reduce the contact. Sweating won't hurt me, can always drink more water. Getting a pair of Kevlar jeans. Rather partial to my skin.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Demerol and versed worked well for putting the bones of my toes back in the right place. The little bit of road rash didn't get much attention on my elbow and really didn't scar after being ignored. My toes now still hang out a little different than they uses to and swell still after walking at work all day.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Check out our Kevlar Riding Jackets!

We took the "Dickies" Style waist Jacket in Black and designed our own Kevlar "Fully" Lined jacket with Dyneema Kevlar, it's Military Grade Kevlar.

And we line the entire Jacket in this High Tech stuff!

This lightweight Jacket is Perfect for All Year Around Riding, warm in the cooler weather and it's actually cool in the warmer weather!

It has two side pockets, and two Inner pockets one with a zipper.

Still Embroidable! Or you can sew patches on it too!

Sized normally, we have Medium, Large, Xtra Large, 2 Xtra Large and 3 Xtra Large Available!

Get a Free "Got Kevlar" T shirt with your purchase!

http://www.grcustoms.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=4&product_id=1005

GR

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
As a Nurse:

Telfa pads: Have a layer that prevents the bandage from sticking to the wound but allow exudate to be absorbed, great stuff.

Silvadene: Silver impregnated antimicrobial cream that prevents bacteria from growing, Rx needed, great to have in the house.

Bacitracin: Antibiotic cream, usually given with Oral Biaxin, Rx needed again. Use when an infection has set in.

Xeroform: Petroleum Jelly impregnated gauze. This will help seal tissues to air (we use it to close chest tube sites and some severe pressure ulcers...I could see it used on a knee cap)

Neosporin: Not recommended for more than 2-3 days use at a time, seek medical attention for wounds that may need more treatment/ longer healing times.

Iodine: Not recommended for use like hydrogen peroxide as a first aid treatment. Here's the thing about those two: They have found (as usual in some study) that prolonged and when left on a wound actually promote bacterial growth. That's not to say they don't have antimicrobial properties. We still use Iodine in the OR, BUT... we wash it off after skin is closed.

ChloraPrep: is Chlorhexidine Gluconate and Isopropyl Alcohol and is now used as the skin prep of choice in the hospital. (if you've had your heart worked on you remember the two baths night before and morning of surgery... that's the soap we made you use)

Kerosene: Bad on so many levels... ok for animals if you want to, I won't judge. But any fuel will be readily absorbed by the skin, remove the skin and you might as well start an iv and let if flow in.. bad bad bad...

Now having said all that: Disclaimer, if you are injured seek medical attention at the closest Emergency Room, or call 911.

Minor road rash, wash with Dawn or Baby shampoo and distilled water (sterile if you can or unopened bottle of distilled water). Apply above mentioned and heal.

If you live close to Mexico, bonus... you can bring all the above back across the border without a script.

Safe riding ... and remember to be nice to your nurse... we pick the gauges (size) of needles and foleys.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
As a Nurse:

Telfa pads: Have a layer that prevents the bandage from sticking to the wound but allow exudate to be absorbed, great stuff.

Silvadene: Silver impregnated antimicrobial cream that prevents bacteria from growing, Rx needed, great to have in the house.

Bacitracin: Antibiotic cream, usually given with Oral Biaxin, Rx needed again. Use when an infection has set in.

Xeroform: Petroleum Jelly impregnated gauze. This will help seal tissues to air (we use it to close chest tube sites and some severe pressure ulcers...I could see it used on a knee cap)

Neosporin: Not recommended for more than 2-3 days use at a time, seek medical attention for wounds that may need more treatment/ longer healing times.

Iodine: Not recommended for use like hydrogen peroxide as a first aid treatment. Here's the thing about those two: They have found (as usual in some study) that prolonged and when left on a wound actually promote bacterial growth. That's not to say they don't have antimicrobial properties. We still use Iodine in the OR, BUT... we wash it off after skin is closed.

ChloraPrep: is Chlorhexidine Gluconate and Isopropyl Alcohol and is now used as the skin prep of choice in the hospital. (if you've had your heart worked on you remember the two baths night before and morning of surgery... that's the soap we made you use)

Kerosene: Bad on so many levels... ok for animals if you want to, I won't judge. But any fuel will be readily absorbed by the skin, remove the skin and you might as well start an iv and let if flow in.. bad bad bad...

Now having said all that: Disclaimer, if you are injured seek medical attention at the closest Emergency Room, or call 911.

Minor road rash, wash with Dawn or Baby shampoo and distilled water (sterile if you can or unopened bottle of distilled water). Apply above mentioned and heal.

If you live close to Mexico, bonus... you can bring all the above back across the border without a script.

Safe riding ... and remember to be nice to your nurse... we pick the gauges (size) of needles and foleys.
Appropriate aggressive pain management after an accident & surgery proves to reduce chronic long term scar & bone pain.
Thanks

·
hillbilly
110 Posts
i had some great stuff for scaring after road rash was healed.. i will find the name it just put the color back into the skin so it wouldnt be pinkish purple... i went down rideing curve on sport bike with a tech jacket it melted and stuck to my skin.... dont buy that crap...

61 - 80 of 91 Posts