Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my first and hopefully last encounter with road rash. I was trying to find info on tips and trick and helpful remedies for motorcycle injuries, mostly road rash,. After searching the forums I did not find anything. I’m hoping this get a sticky (somewhere in the forum) so that all could add and get info from the unfortunate experience some of us have! I will try to keep a list up to date on the first page. So people don’t have to search have for the info. If I have missed something in my search sorry and please let me know.

Things I have found:

Distilled water and Jonson & Jonson baby shampoo are great for cleaning (does not burn in wounds)

2nd skin moist burn pads (made by advanced first aid) covered in (Neosporin +pain relief) is the best bandages. They don’t stick to the wound at all and turn blood and ooze in to a jelly so it very easy to clean.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
Imdubious said:
Master Info list:
1.Distilled water and Jonson & Jonson baby shampoo are great for cleaning (does not burn in wounds)

2.2nd skin moist burn pads (made by advanced first aid) covered in (Neosporin +pain relief) is the best bandages. They don’t stick to the wound at all and turn blood and ooze in to a jelly so it very easy to clean.

3.FBrider/vrod:A doctor friend advises us to use preperation H. Yep, the Hemroid stuff. Basically it's the stuff one nneds to help with the road rash.

4.pwrman:Ask your pharmacist for xeroform, great stuff for road rash, burns and more serious wounds.
Like when you can see your knee cap because you have no skin left covering it.

5. Vrodriding: They put some stuff called sylvadine (sp) on me at the hospital after my wreck it worked pretty good! you can get it at any pharmacy just have your doc write you a script! I have quite a bit left, but I am keeping it you can never be to safe lol! Oh but dont use it on your face, they made sure to tell me that about 100 times! Use bacetrycine (sp) for that! Silvidine on the face leads to tatooo like color changes. NEVER USE SILVIDINE ON THE FACE/NECK.

6.baldharleydude: a jar of kerosene. Turns out it's an old farmers' trick we had always used on injured horses & farm animals. Nasty as it sounds, he simply washed the wounds with the kerosene. Completely cool & painless, and it just melted all the tar and road grime right away. Once everything was cleaned up, I soaked for a while in the bathtub. Afterwards, we went ahead with the conventional ointments and bandaging, but the kerosene spared me having to go to the ER to have a nurse scrub out the raw meat with a toothbrush and iodine, which I wouldn't wish on anyone!

·
Lifetime Member
5,213 Posts
Some of the best info that I hope I never use. Thanks and hope all is going well with the healing.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Maybe vrodsweeper can add to this conversation...he's dealt with some pretty extensive experience with road rash....

·
Proud R Pilot
372 Posts
Be careful with Neosporin and products like it, a fair amount of people become allergic to it after extended use. I ended up with a burn/rash blisters on my road rash after about 10 days, just when I was starting to be able to sleep again the pain got 10 times worse than right after the accident. That's when I started taking a Vicodin with about 3 of the King of Beers:cheers: , finally some sleep!

·
Registered
9 Posts
A doctor friend advises us to use preperation H. Yep, the Hemroid stuff. Basically it's the stuff one nneds to help with the road rash.

I was fortunate two weeks ago. I hit a car with the soft tail. Stoped in fromt of me with not enough room. They don't stop like the v-rod.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Ask your pharmacist for xeroform, great stuff for road rash, burns and more serious wounds.
Like when you can see your knee cap because you have no skin left covering it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide poured over rash loosens the bandage. My sisters would come over daily, one would pour it on my back, the other would hold the bandage/giant pad attached/stuck to my back. A few seconds later I would walk away while they held the edges of the pad. . They would then swab my back with a clean pad, apply some bacytracine neomycn(?) a claen pad then return the next day. Oh yeah, I also had to hear "I told you so." This was back in 76, so maybe new stuff has come out...:moped:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hydrogen peroxide is no longer recommend first aid.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
They put some stuff called sylvadine (sp) on me at the hospital after my wreck it worked pretty good! you can get it at any pharmacy just have your doc write you a script! I have quite a bit left, but I am keeping it you can never be to safe lol! Oh but dont use it on your face, they made sure to tell me that about 100 times! Use bacetrycine (sp) for that!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Guys this is a good topic, if we get enough responses I think we should stickie this to help others.

904 Posts
Here's one that will make the doctors cringe -- and I know I'll hear hell for even mentioning it...

Years ago I went for a good, long slide. Kneecaps showing, severe road-rash on my palms and forearms -- I landed on my front-side in a prone position and just slid to a stop, no rollin' & tumblin' -- with quite a bit of asphalt tar & stones embedded in the newly exposed meat. Got a ride home and had my wife call my big brother (don't need doctors, that's what big brothers are for!) and he came right over.

He brought along a jar of kerosene. Turns out it's an old farmers' trick we had always used on injured horses & farm animals. Nasty as it sounds, he simply washed the wounds with the kerosene. Completely cool & painless, and it just melted all the tar and road grime right away. Once everything was cleaned up, I soaked for a while in the bathtub. Afterwards, we went ahead with the conventional ointments and bandaging, but the kerosene spared me having to go to the ER to have a nurse scrub out the raw meat with a toothbrush and iodine, which I wouldn't wish on anyone!

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
baldharleydude said:
Here's one that will make the doctors cringe -- and I know I'll hear hell for even mentioning it...

Years ago I went for a good, long slide. Kneecaps showing, severe road-rash on my palms and forearms -- I landed on my front-side in a prone position and just slid to a stop, no rollin' & tumblin' -- with quite a bit of asphalt tar & stones imbedded in the newly exposed meat. Got a ride home and had my wife call my big brother (don't need doctors, that's what big brothers are for!) and he came right over.

He brought along a jar of kerosene. Turns out it's an old farmers' trick we had always used on injured horses & farm animals. Nasty as it sounds, he simply washed the wounds with the kerosene. Completely cool & painless, and it just melted all the tar and road grime right away. Once everything was cleaned up, I soaked for a while in the bathtub. Afterwards, we went ahead with the conventional ointments and bandaging, but the kerosene spared me having to go to the ER to have a nurse scrub out the raw meat with a toothbrush and iodine, which I wouldn't wish on anyone!
Doesn't make me cringe. I hate going to doctors and any home remedy works for me (especially those endorsed by big brothers) I'm just glad to know it works without drinking it. :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Imdubious,

Hate road rash for anyone, it is never fun to try to heal it or worst yet, having to go to the hospital and have a nurse doing the clean up. Very painful indeed. My contribution to this is the following:

For Knee, hip and tail bone protection, I use the following:

http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/?prod=BGLA

Most of us ride in Blue Jeans and I think this product offers at least protection when the inevitable happens. By the way I am not associated with them, but I have been using the product for over two years and I can barely notice I have it on, even during hot, humid summer days.

I don't know if you heard about a Motorcyclist in MD, that was wearing IMPACT jackets, but apparently they have a CO2 cartridge that will deploy small air bags around your neck, back and arms. This guy went down at over 70 MPH and got up with very little road rash and better yet went home in one piece.

I would rather ride with reinforced textile and bohn armor pants in the summer, and strong leather in the fall/winter, and perhaps put up with being hot, but at least if I have to go down, my chances of experiencing road rash are reduced, to some degree.

Ride safely.

Regards,
German

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
Been down a few times, some bad, some not. Always had full leathers and full face helmet in the accidents which is odd because I only wear them about half the time. Worst was a 90 mph launch off a Buell, but never had any hospital trips, broken bones (just stressed joints), or road rash of any kind.

Anyone that has been down knows it goes like this....
1. Day of wreck, hey this wasn't so bad I am a bit sore, but other then that I feel Ok
2. Day after, where the phuck did all this pain, swelling and soreness coming from?
3. Day after that If you are lucky enough to be able to piss on your own, this simple task is even painful and you wish you were dead.
4. Day after that depending on severity of wreck you are starting over the hump of pain and it tapers off for days after.

I was told by some racers that when they wreck they drink as much vinegar as they can to help with the soreness. The day of my last wreck and the day after I soaked as often as possible in the tub with Epson salt and drank a half a bottle of vinegar both days (put some orange drink flavor in it, was told lemonade but still.......yuck). Just these two things and some IBprophen really helped with the soreness and got me back on my feet faster compared to previous times.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
They put some stuff called sylvadine, not sure of correct spelling it gets used in some burn care units.

I do not know about deeper road rash except that stuff like in first paragraph is used.

The road rash I had was only on one leg and r buttock, triple antibotic and xeroform worked great. If you are not going to shave any hair where you may need to tape dressing ( not fun when tape comes off wether pulled fast or worse slow ) hold dressing in place with coban, a tape that adhears to its self but not skin. Use caution if you need to allow the wound bed to breath this tape if wrapped around too much will not allow breathing, also bad if swelling is present and it can be too constricting bad for blood flow and can make swelling worse. elevate when posible to lessen swelling most important the first 48 hrs, even more important if in a cast. If your foot or leg is in a cast use crutches as little as possible keep the affected leg on pillows or what ever is able to elevate to keep foot above waist level.

For an arm cast keep it in a sling or when lying down on your chest or a pillow beside you.

Be aware of tightness or pressure under the splint; swollen, cold, numb, blue or tingly fingers or toes. Increased pain under splint, it cracks or remains wet ovr 24 hrs. Also beaware of bad odor or wound fluid stains the splint. If a fibreglass splint gets wet a hair dryer can be used to help dry it .

I hope none of this info is needed for anyone.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
from vrodcustoms
Just these two things and some Ibuprofen really helped with the soreness and got me back on my feet faster compared to previous times.
The anti inflammatory effect is good and pain relief is a must to helping get back on track

1 - 20 of 92 Posts