Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Longer rides seem to affect my knees and I've always attributed it to my height (6'5")...

...I've been thinking that I could push myself back while riding to take pressure off my knees by installing risers. That said, I can't find a lot on here about what people have tried on the DX.

Has anybody tried putting risers on their DX? Will it affect placement of the instrument panel? What type/make did you buy?

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
I've noticed that leaning forward causes my knees to spread, putting more strain on them as I naturally try to keep them tucked in tight. When I lean forward on long rides, my legs and knees are tired and sore too from the effort. Therefore, I try to remember to lean back while cruising by extending my arms. I'm 5'12".:)

You are right to take the pressure off of your knees by extending your handlebars toward you. However, that will make you ride leaning back all of the time. The downside is that you won't be able to lean forward when slow-maneuvering and your abs and back will be strained.

Maybe you can consider first fixing what is truly wrong instead; your foot pegs are too close to you. Long legs usually means long arms too, so I assume that you can reach your handlebars if your knees weren't in your chest. You can either move your seating position rearward- making your posture correct, or you can move your pegs forward and your handlebars aft- causing you to lean back.

Several vendors offer tall-rider seats. Moving your pegs is more expensive and decreases your cornering angle. I suggest that you look toward a seat swap first, then adjust the handlebars as needed.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
The reduced reach control kit can be reversed to become a extended reach control set. That is what a lot of guys with extended reach legs have done. Seems to make them happy.

50360-04 Reduced reach control kit complete

50270-04 Reduced reach pegs only.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts